Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 knee replacement (aka bionic knee)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic knee replacement (aka bionic knee) Next Topic  

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  6:57:45 PM  Show Profile
What can you farm girls tell me about knee replacements? I need to know the good, bad and ugly on this subject. I see the surgeon on Wednesday and want to be prepared with questions, so I'm not surprised when something comes up later on.

This will not be an elective surgery. I had a motor scooter wreck 4 years ago and the doc told me then that I would need a new knee...he just didn't think I would make it 4 years before asking for the replacement.

Donna...true blue KY farm girl

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  5:59:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, I never got one, thank God. But was told that if I injured my left knee one more time, I'd have to (I broke it twice). So I was warned to be more careful. My doc told me the replacements only last about 10 years. Now, I was told this about 13 years ago, so maybe they've improved it since then. In 13 years, they should have!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  05:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Donna,
I have 2 success stories of knee replacement from where I work.
One of our stockholders had both knees and our CEO had one done.
The stockholder, now plays some tennis again,and the CEO golfs. So things must be good.
I would want to talk to patients of the surgeon if possible. You might want to ask about complications that could arise being this is major surgery, rehab options, and realistic recovery time.
Also, do you have someone there or to come in to help take care of you afterward?
After hip replacement surgery, my mom went to the nursing home for about 1 month for care and rehab. Worked nice, then she was home again and functioning really well on her own.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  05:36:45 AM  Show Profile
My mother in law had it done last year and she said she it wast one of the best things that she had ever done. She walks a lot easier now. Only thing is, now she has to have the other one done. Hope everything works out for you.
Take care,
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  06:00:25 AM  Show Profile
Talk to Bev /Bee Haven Maven! She is an RN & she now does a group thing to assist patients in preparing for this surgery..

I am not sure of all the details exactly.. so i don't want to speak for her.. but contact her & i know she'll be happy to help put your mind at ease!

Kathie..
Farm Girl Sister #29

"In a World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Yourself.."

www.nitegardener.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  09:18:58 AM  Show Profile
My orthopedist told me five years ago when I had knee surgery that eventually I would probably need a new knee. One of the women in my quilting group had both knees done last year and she was thrilled with the results. Other people I talked to who undergone the surgery have nothing but good things to say.....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  12:56:49 PM  Show Profile
I have had both knees replaced. One 5 years ago and the 2nd 4 1/2 both were suceesfull. For me the secret is the physical therapy....If you do what they ask you to do and continue your knee will be a life saver.

Since my surgeries, there have been many new "prodecures and types of knees" , however, I would have mine done again if one iof the gives out.

Good luck and you will be grateful you had the knee done.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  1:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Donna here is my own story about my "new knee", written up in our local newspaper. Just Google: Sequim Gazette Pennie Dutro Lujan

Farmgirl
sisterhood #167
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  3:45:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow! You girls are helping me realize that this will be the best thing I can do. Tomorrow morning I see the surgeon for a "meet & greet" and hopefully schedule the surgery soon.

Pennie, I read your article and I wish I lived close enough to visit your farm. I'm hoping that one day soon I can move back to Kentucky and do all of those things you do on my farm.

Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  6:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Kathie,

Thanks for pointing me in Bev's direction. I've already sent her an e-mail.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic knee replacement (aka bionic knee) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page