Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 "Veggie Burger!? Ew who want that-who want that?!"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic "Veggie Burger!? Ew who want that-who want that?!" Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  10:12:47 AM  Show Profile
Was what I heard hissed behind me as I ordered my vege burger,side salad and water from a nice little local sandwich shop on my lunch hour. This gal continued to make comments while I paid for my lunch (and I didn't take it personally because she wasn't attacking ME, she was attacking a poor, defenseless vege burger) and then when I finally sat down and took a gander at who slighted my lunch preference, my eyes were met with two of the largest women I've ever seen, both of these lovely gals smoking cigarettes and carrying large "Big Sip" cups of diet coke (no less). One ordered chicken fingers with honey mustard dipping sauce and french fries and a side of ranch for her fries and the other ordered the fried fish platter, extra tartar sauce.

Now look, I'm not a food snob and I eat junk every now and again--ask the people at Graeters Ice Cream--but I'm choosing to look at my body as the only one I've got (um...and that's the truth) so why treat it badly?

Made me wanna hiss at them, "wow, you might as well wipe that fish meal and those chicken tenders on your hips cuz that's where it's going to be in the morning!" or "Walking time bombs!!" But, I refrained and remained ladylike, because remember, it wasn't about ME, it was about the veggie burger...and when they sat near me and smoked me out, I hurried and left. It's Kentucky....you can still smoke in most restaurants (except Lexington).

With all that we know today about healthy choices....I am just utterly flabbergasted at many people--especially women who, studies show die from heart attacks more than any cancer, and are the LAST people to go to doctors because they place everyone's health above there own. Duh!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on May 01 2008 10:18:54 AM

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  11:01:45 AM  Show Profile
Were their names Patty and Selma?

Seriously, though, it's hard to tell with some people when they are being mean and when they are just curious. When people say things like that in my direction I tend to assume they are trying to strike up a conversation. I've seen Miss Manners say that the proper response to a rude remark is to pretend that no offense was intended.

I hear a lot of funny remarks from other shoppers at the grocery store when they see me buying veggie burgers, tofu, etc. So I jump right in and tell them, "Oh, yeah. This is really good stuff. You should try it." Sometimes they actually ask how to cook it and what it tastes like.

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  11:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I remember when I was aroung 215 and still losing a lot of weight ( I had lost 30 already), I was ordering a nice salad with grilled chicken and a vinagrette. Now, this is a really YUMMY salad and I added the fruit cup and some water to it. I heard out off to the side somewhere a guy commenting that what I was eating wouldn't help my fat a$$. Well, I just ignored him and when I got a gander at him, let's just say, he was exactly George Clooney, let alone Nobody Clooney. He had a torn t-shirt and it was sweaty. ICKY!!!

I think people think others are deaf or something. You never know what is going on in someone's life. I just let it be.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  12:10:12 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't offended about them picking on what I ate really (oh, or the cussing about it too, that I couldn't put in quotes on the forum)....I did think it was silly dumb, and that she kept going was rather odd...but it's an urban area where you just say what you feel and it's totally acceptable, but after seeing the two gals and what they ordered and apparently eat consistently, I was actually offended that they DIDN'T want to eat a veggie burger...that they took their health so casually.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  12:53:56 PM  Show Profile
My neighborhood is a bit on the ghetto side, so I'm really grateful that our local grocery stores carry my vegetarian foods at all. Actually, when we first moved here the Wegmans did not carry tofu. I talked to the manager and they said they had tried it and it didn't sell. But they started carrying it again because of my request. So I try to drum up more business for the healthy stuff whenever I get a chance. So many urban neighborhoods don't have a good selection of fresh fruits and vegetables, and that's a big factor contributing to obesity and health problems for poor folks.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  12:55:49 PM  Show Profile
Actually, these gals work for the huge IRS processing center here...they're actually much better off than I am :)

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  1:15:35 PM  Show Profile
That's funny. I keep expecting that people who have a lot of money will also have better manners than me. It's always a little shocking, like when President Bush was caught on tape dropping the f bomb at that big dinner party.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  7:31:32 PM  Show Profile
...I guess that surprised me too..

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  11:37:53 PM  Show Profile
I get a lot of weird looks from people, when they see the mostly organic food/produce in my cart. I just ignore the few catty remarks I have heard ("Oh, she must be rich!" what huh?????? or "What a hippie!" -loud and proud!)
I figure if they are too lazy to educate themselves to eat healthier, that is their problem.
However, if someone is relatively polite, and asks me a question, I try to answer it to the best of my ability.

On a side note:
Have you noticed that the ones who are mean or whine about being too poor to eat healthy, are usually the ones that need to eat an organic apple??????????????

You can buy a couple heads of lettuce and a bag of organic apples for the cost of the two bags of chips in your cart there, big guy.
*sigh* I digress...back to the topic at hand.

It has been my experience that just because you have money, doesn't mean you have manners, or class for that matter.
Class/grace/elegance is just something you have or you don't. Obviously, these two lovely "ladies" had none of the above.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on May 03 2008 11:50:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  05:36:43 AM  Show Profile
I bring veggie burgers to work sometimes. Everyone always says they smell good, but when I tell them what it is, they act disgusted. I have made several try it & they end up liking it. Some actually go buy their own. I am not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy them & not having meat for every meal. My favorites are the Morningstar Spicy Blackbean. They are so yummy. It's sad that people won't try something new just because it seems foreign. Now some things I won't try (certain meats & seafood, but I mostly stick to chicken), but come on, it's veggies! Those never hurt anyone. :)

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  05:54:48 AM  Show Profile
That story cracks me up, b/c before veggie burgers were common, I used to order burgers with no meat when I was desperate, and just eat the veggies and the bun. I remember these teenagers working at Dairy Queen leaning over the counter and just goggling at me the entire time I was eating...literally with their mouths hanging open. Finally, one of them asked what I eat on pizza. Um, everything. Peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, tomato, pineapple...shall I go on? Oh.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  06:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Jonni - Your lunch story is just 'welcome to my world'. I still can't believe that Burger King here actually HAS a veggie burger! The smoking thing is my pet peeve and here in Louisville, we now have a ban on smoking in restaurants(except some bars). I NEVER thought that in my life time, i would live to see a NO SMOKING sign in a White Castle!!! I remember seeing a very old woman in there wheeling her oxygen tank with her and cursing the people in the White Castle who wouldn't let her smoke!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  06:49:55 AM  Show Profile
I think, after finally getting to "see" who made fun of what I ordered, I just thought, "YOU should be eating this veggie burger--not me!" I can walk without stopping every two minutes to take a breather, but my goodness, the pollution in their bodies!!!!

Janice, the whole smoking thing in restaurants is a bother to me...I've seen several folks doing the same thing as the old woman in your White Castle. It's their birthright, you know, to smoke. There are still a few nice restaurants here like Dee Felice, where you can smoke as much as you want and it doesn't matter to non-smoking customers. Personally, I don't want to spend a miniumum of $75.00 on a meal to eat as quickly as I can!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that we could all do better on our food choices. I like junk just like anyone else, but darn it, when I'm checking out at the grocery and I see folks loading 30 "Hungry Man" frozen tv dinners (a middle aged married couple--what, ONE of you couldn't cook?), a bunch of soda, and all over processed foods on to the belt, I get frustrated. He reeked of cigarette smoke and was the thinnest person I've ever seen, but not in a good way. His palor had that grayish tint to it, when your skin is deprived of nutrients and oxygen. I also noted a young hippy couple (with all their "green" stickers and buttons and reggae gear over Olive Drabs) buying every processed food known to man. I guess I just figured at least they would buy something "good for you" but maybe they haven't read all the brochures they picked up at the Earth Day concert!!!

I guess when people see what I purchase for lunch, or at the grocery, they probably think I'm a snob, or some hippy dippy, but in light of the way I feel (healthy) I think I'm cool with that.

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  08:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have to tell you something funny. I have to send Charlie with a lunch on Fridays to daycare. They have an outdoor picnic and it is fun for the kids. Well, I send Charlie with cut up fruit, a jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread, yogurt, etc...The teachers told me I was the only Mom that send "home-made" food. All the other kids have pre-packaged items. At 2!!! No wonder our kids our out of control.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  08:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's funny and sad at the same time, Heather. I used to send my ds to school with home made lunches. I bet you're a label reader, too! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  08:26:16 AM  Show Profile
The funniest comment I've gotten in the grocery store came from a cashier. I was buying this really exotic looking green, can't remember what exactly. It had big shiny leaves with red veins, and I just had to try it. The girl picked it up to scan it, and she looked at it for a minute, and she looked at me, and she looked back at the green, and finally she said, "Is this real or plastic?" It cracked me up, because I always wonder that about potted plants in lobbies and this kale or whatever was very similar.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  08:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Mmmm--Heather, Charlie's lunch sure brings back memories! I always had butter and jam sandwiches, or my favorite, fried balogna with yellow mustard and usually vege sticks or whatever, but then, we all did. There were very few of us kids who didn't brown bag it. I guess now a days, mom's use those little "box things" with the fake meat and cheese you can make into "pizza"...that don't need to be refrigerated. Yum.

Amie, that cracks me up!!!! I love young cashiers--one actually asked me one time what my bundle of "uncut" celery was (with the leafy tops?)....when I replied, "celery", she said she'd never seen it in it's natural state, only cut up!!!! That's her momma's fault.

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  2:46:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm fat and I love organic food. I make my own gardenburgers and when it breaks up in the pan, I call it ground garden.
When I was a kid I got teased for having stinky lunches, it was the garlic in Dad's homemade salami.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  4:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh!! Homemade salami...yum!! Haven't had a good salami in years!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  5:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, you can say your fat (which I don't like for you to say), but you can also say that you make healthy, smart choices. I think my whole point was that these two larger gals DID NOT, and aside from making fun of me ruthlessly and making "cack" noises behind my back, they coughed and hacked up a storm while both eating and alternately smoking. Didn't even put their butts out to eat.

Several of my friends have weight issues (including me) but, because of family history and being women, have dedicated themselves to eating right, even if it doesn't mean losing weight in mass pounds.

I love Salami. Love it. It's my superfood. Best lunch ever or quick dinner? Everything Bagel (with Salt), salami and cream cheese.

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  5:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Jonni!! Could you send me a bagel with salami?? YUMMY!! I think I am going to try and find some at the HEB tomorrow.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  5:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Heather, between my husband and I, we could probably eat that sammich at least once a day! I say, "run to your nearest market and load up!!!"

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am half Italian, so I grew up going to the local butcher for fresh cuts of meat. The little old lady used to give me a chunk of salami and a chunk of provolone to eat with fresh Italian bread. Heaven!! I'm in heaven!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:05:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm no where NEAR Italian (half cajun and cherokee on my dad's side, german and english on mom's) but we ate salami almost every day in our house, growing up. For snacks, Mom always made those little salami rollups you have at parties? I still do that when I can't think of anything I want to eat.

So, I should have a t-shirt made that says, "when in doubt, go with the salami!"

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I was always the weird kid with the lunches, I brought homemade antipasto salad to school, I munch on the stinkiest Parmesan cheese every made and ate meatball sandwiches. YUMMY!! I might get back to my Italian roots one of these days. Charlie is like me- the weirder the food the better.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:16:15 PM  Show Profile
It's too bad I've already eaten dinner this evening....salami and parmesan and bread is sounding super good right now!

I appreciate lunches that reflect your cultural heritage. Mazak is headquartered here, and they arrived from Japan in 1980 (they make stereo components for cars)...and my friend, Satomi, always brought noodles and fish, with a little thermos of tea. It was adorable. And I was always jealous.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic "Veggie Burger!? Ew who want that-who want that?!" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page