Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 My living room looks like I take in Laundry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic My living room looks like I take in Laundry Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  09:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL Right now my living room is a maze of piles of folded laundry. Some are ones that need to be put away, some are ones that need packed in boxes as they are too small for Nora or wrong season. I have an over flowing plastic tub of folded blankets, piles of folded cloth diapers, a stack of diaper wraps, clothing for the garage sale, baby blankets, Doug's clothes a pile of clothes of mine to be put away, and a basket of socks to pair.

So still a lot of work to do to put it all away but...I am now caught up on laundry!! I can fold each load as it finishes in the dryer! Wooo Hooo!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  4:38:08 PM  Show Profile
We too are sorting clothes for the season...all of the sudden summer has hit and I am scrambling for summer clothes! We have 10 kiddos and I have not seen the bottom of my hampers in umm a long time. lol

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  6:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's amazing how many clothes accumulate isn't it! I can't imagine having to sort through clothes for 12 people!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  6:52:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

LOL Right now my living room is a maze of piles of folded laundry. Some are ones that need to be put away, some are ones that need packed in boxes as they are too small for Nora or wrong season. I have an over flowing plastic tub of folded blankets, piles of folded cloth diapers, a stack of diaper wraps, clothing for the garage sale, baby blankets, Doug's clothes a pile of clothes of mine to be put away, and a basket of socks to pair.

So still a lot of work to do to put it all away but...I am now caught up on laundry!! I can fold each load as it finishes in the dryer! Wooo Hooo!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Alee, good for you! I had laundry all caught up 2 weeks ago and then we got busy with stuff with girls and now I am behind again. I am lucky if I can keep us up with towels and socks!

AngiK

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  7:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Angi- Doesn't it make you so frustrated when people use a towel once and then throw it in the laundry? My husband has gotten an earful a few times, but then I have to make sure that I am not a culprit as well! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  8:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Got desperate today, took the pinking shears to some of the kid's old shirts to the us thru' the next few days...yes we belong on a farm (smile!)

Thankfully the clothes are sorted for the most part at the end of the season by gender and sizes. Then what ever is added through the long winter season is put into one container, this lies one of the problems.

We also do not know who will be with us from season to season so this is the best planning so far.

My washer runs beginning as the coffee/tea is brewing and runs most of the day. I start a load before bed too.

Farmgirl # 148

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  9:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laura-

My family on had four girls, but I remember as a kid we had boxes of clothes (hand me downs by the time they got to me the youngest) sorted by season and size. So each winter I got a "new" box of clothes. I am doing the same thing with the baby clothes, sorting by size at least.

I can imagine that as I have more kids there will be say a "Winter Sizes 4-6" box etc.

I know kids like to have extensive wardrobes. I remember as a teen I would read the "teen" magazines and all the "how to be fashionable" articles that convinced me I needed to have a gazillion jeans and even more shirts- let alone Accesories! Sheesh! That never happened! It just isn't practical and when it all boils down, the good old stand by of jeans and a t-shirt rarely will let you down.

In fact, I am editing my wardrobe right now. I am going to keep some of my shirts that are a little dressier than just a tee shirt, but I am getting rid of all bleach marked, holey or worn out looking items. I am have one pair of well fitting jeans, and I am going to comb the thrifts for another 2 pairs. Then I am going to "invest" in a package of tee shirts (I already have one package) and that will be my wardrobe. I have some skirts and dresses for church or fancy gatherings, but I want my whole wardrobe to fit in one of those 18 gallon tubs minus my winter coat.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  10:57:05 PM  Show Profile
I am perpetually behind on laundry. I think at this point in my life, I don't give a rip anymore.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  04:51:27 AM  Show Profile
Good job Alee, you will find a simple wardrobe will be helpful especially with the move.

My kids have basics with some nice dresses for the girls. Mostly hand downs or yard sales, it just seems like excessive with our larger family.
It is nice to grab a box and give it to a child. And they are marked season.. size...gender too.

Farmgirl # 148

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  10:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ha! I have figured out how to cure people buying too much stuff- Moving! Eee Gads! I am so _done_ with _stuff_!

Here's to simple living, simple wardrobes, and only having enough bath towels for one week! LOL... Maybe I will have to keep an extra set under lock and key for company... :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  12:06:40 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad to know that I am not the only one with piles of laundry. I am starting to believe that the clothes in the hamper multiply while I sleep!!! I have three kids and I can barely keep up with them and my husband so I don't know how you do it Laura. I did just make my first batch of homemade soap and I love it especially the cost. I figured it costs me about $1.50-$2.00 per gallon and the vinegar worked wonderful for fabric softener. Well time to go hang up yet another load of laundry!!!
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  11:08:50 AM  Show Profile
I have four boys, and a cool handmedown cubbie from Ikea that has 16 spaces. That cubbie is the "clothes cubbie" for the boys, each one gets a row. For each they have a cubbie for undies and jammies, a cubbie for tops, a cubbie for bottoms and a cubbie for Misc (swimsuits in summer, sweatshirts in winter). We keep all their socks in another big fabric box "the sock box" so I don't have to sort out their socks. I only use a clothes line (the dryer died) and I do laundry every day, folding it as I take it off the line. My oldest son (ten years old) has the job of sorting through the clean folded clothes and putting them in the right cubbie spot. Daddy and I see what's left (towels, sheets, our clothes) and put that stuff away. We have a big conference table that is used for sorting and keeps the cleans off the floor which is important because the dirties are usually sorted on the floor nearby, in front of the washing machine. It's finally a good system. I was just wondering though, how many feet of clothes line I would need to handle clothes for 12 people? WOWZA that'd be a lot. My back yard would look like a giant spider had taken over the trees!
P~

living a good neighbor life
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  11:19:19 AM  Show Profile
Since the washer and dryer moved to the garage I don't have folded clothes on my couch anymore. But what I have NOW is an even BIGGER nightmare! I wash clothes CONSTANTLY-- in a SERIOUSLY ailing washer! (it leaks, it spins VERY sloooowly and it gets off balance easily). After two years of working away from home I had FINALLY gotten control of the laundry. I was so PROUD of myself! I washed and folded and washed and folded--- and the piles got smaller, the ripped pants, stained white t's all went in the trash, clothes that no one wore or didn't fit anyone anymore went into black trash bags for donation etc....

Then one day, not long after I had the garage all cleaned and things ALMOST cleaned out, it happened. And EXPLOSION of clothes!!! My clothes from the dryer started flying all over the place! I'd find them on top of the dryer in piles, on top the the "folding" table (where I would fold and stack the clothes), on top of the freezer, crammed into boxes-- and those bags of clothes I had washed, folded and got ready to donate? Well, it looked like they barfed up their contents!!! Those clothes were EVERYWHERE!!!! The culprit? Well, apranatly it's someone named "Not Me." I have been trying to track him down for years and when I do... boy is he IN FOR IT!!! Until then, I will just have to continue to yell at the three teenage boys who keep tattling on him. (Anyone else live with the elusive "Not Me?")

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  11:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Yea! At last someone who knows of or has heard of "Not Me". For years he has eluded me, I have tried several methods of catching the ol' culprit, but nothing has worked. I thought that he would be easier to catch after my two oldest moved on to greener pastures, but even my fifteen-year-old has seen him do incredible things.

Why, just the other day I was sorting the laundry, and lo and behold there was Perfectly-Clean-Folded-Clothes in with the dirty clothes. When I asked my son why they were down there,he just looked at me. He actually was daring me to ask the question. I bit, hook- line- and sinker. I asked, "Who puts perfectly clean, folded laundry down the laundry shoot?". He grinned, and replied "Not Me!"

I don't think we'll ever catch him in the act; and, when you sit back and think of all the funny and mysterious joys he brings to us mothers , who really wants to?

Bless you, you have brightened my day.

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  1:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! That is too funny! I have my own little "not me" growing up! I remember when my "best friend" was "Not Me" lol (some times it really wasn't me!!)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  09:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Ohhhhh Laundry!!!!! The root of fustration sometimes!!! Sheets, towels, socks of all colors and sizes, little cute zach clothes, smelly zach clothes, been rollin in the dirt all day clothes, gym clothes, DH's ewwwy work clothes, special needs clothes [you know...the ones that can't be mixed with other regular clothes], hiding under the bed clothes that weren't found until after you "thought" you completed the laundry.....ugh....I have all of those clothes to wash today......

It will never be done...Or will I conquer the Laundry Monsters today....I dunno..maybe.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  09:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! I had to laugh when I saw this topic pop up because I realized my living room is looking like I bring in laundry again! YIKES!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  09:58:55 AM  Show Profile
I have just gotten all my done too. DH says I don't like clothes dried outdoors and I did them all and he never even said anything. Teehehe

Again Alee you have more on your plate than most and seem to get it all done.
You Rock!

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  10:14:32 AM  Show Profile
Alee:
I am trying to get the laundry done here, too! I am trying to get this house cleaned, started with the ceiling fans! What a mess. I am trying to get motivated to do it all. However, my get-up-and-go, got-up-and-went!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  12:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Mary, my get-up-and-go left with your got-up-and-went as well.........

Maybe tommorrow...

As for today,
I did manage to get all the dirty laundry into a centralized location.....

Laundry Monster [1]
Jamie [0]

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Alle, I didn't realize you were moving. Where, when and why - if you care to share.

God bless -
Karen

Farmgirl Sister #??? (to be filled in after I get my badge)
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  5:57:45 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I just checked out your blog and miss nora is just beautiful! I love reading your blog. hugs

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  6:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
I don't want to rain on your dreams girls of one day keeping up with the laundry...I used to think when the kids left home everything would change,the dirt would leave, but I now believe that my dh and i are either the dirtiest or the cleanest because that laundry basket is rarely empty. I do however have the luxury of looking at it longer before I really have to get in there. No one that just has to have this of that for the next day is quite nice actually....Debbie

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all
Emily Dickenson
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  7:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks AngiKay! You are so sweet! I think Nora is beautiful too, but I am partial! So I love it when people validate my opinion! She sure is fun! A firecracker for sure, but oh so sweet! See's my little side kick and cuddle bug!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  02:56:25 AM  Show Profile
HAHA!! Well Well!!

I found a trick!!!! Sometimes, I'm just to busy to fold and put away laundry.....however, I've discovered something.....
If I manange to get the clean laundry on the bed (and I mean actually dump it on the bed) the DH will fold and put it away!!! WootWoot!! He travels to bed before I do most of the time. I'm doing the "after-eight pm" clean up routine usually when he goes up there. The last two times I put it on the bed, sure as heck, he put it ALL away in 10 minutes flat!!! [He didn't put it all in the right spots, but I don't care!] I just love it that he pitches in like that....I went up there last night after he'd put it all away and told him that I appreciated it and I would have helped....he said no worries, I was busy doing other things and I didn't need to do that too...he didn't mind at all!! How sweet of him!!!! He put on the olymics and watched while folding/putting away. How convienent. If only I had realized this 1000 loads ago! ;p

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  07:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Jamie! My husband just dumps it on the floor or into the dirty basket!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic My living room looks like I take in Laundry Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page