willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Thunder decided to play with a skunk today! My MIL had taken the dogs for a walk and they stirred up a skunk. Lily and Hagrid were smart enough to stay away but Thunder got right up there and played with the silly thing. He was foaming at the mouth and rolling in every mud puddle he could find to get the spray off! I am suprised he could see cause it got him right in the face! I bathed him which did NO GOOD! The smell is STILL REALLY strong!

Lucky for me......I actually LIKE the smell of skunks!!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  6:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Do you use 1qt hydrogen poroxide, 1/4 c baking soda, and 1 tsp liquid soap? My daughter brought a note home from school with this recipe for "Skunk Be Gone" THAT is when you know your kids go to a small rural school! lol! My dog got sprayed last spring and I tried this recipe and it worked well.

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  7:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Julie, UGH!!! My cute little schnauzer got sprayed last year and my mom bathed her in tomato juice.. and while it helped.. she was this horrible shade of orange for a week (LOL).. I thought is was so sad.. she seemed to have a little self confidence issue until we shaved her and she got her locks back .......I would go with Jessica's...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  8:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Jessica I will give your recipe a try! I just used some shampoo we had around. I knew it wouldn't make the smell go away I just wanted to get those skunk toxins off of him.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  8:50:00 PM  Show Profile
Okay I'm laughing here, but I know it's not really funny. It's only humorous to me because I've been there and had the tomato juice stained tshirt to prove it. We slathered our dog in it and then threw a stick into the lake. Worked, but sure wasn't the most pleasant job.

Di
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  08:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Yeah, the thought of slathering tomato juice seems like more trouble! The "skunk be gone" recipe really worked well. Here is what the article my daughter brought home from school said, interesting facts!:

A skunk's musk is the essence of putrid rot, a concentration of the same aromatic chemicals found in decomposing flesh. Luckily, skunks tend to spray only when threatened-except in Feb. when they are mating then they spray without reason. If your dog falls victim, forget the tomato-juice bath. Follow the recipe proven by chemists to neutralize the smell.(recipe up top other entry) Wash with mixture while it is still bubbling.

It didn't totally get the smell out. You could smell it very faint if close to her but it was bounds of improvement from the reak of her before!! Hope it helps with the next round of skunk victims!!ha!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile
That's a good recipe to know. Not nearly as messy as the tomato juice bath. Sorry, you had to deal with it, Julie.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic SKUNKED! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page