Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 English folklore about hens and eggs--neato!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic English folklore about hens and eggs--neato! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Did you know that in England, it was once (and in some places, still) thought unlucky for henkeepers trying to hatch eggs, to bring daffodils into the house. Luckily, that season is over for most of us

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  10:37:40 PM  Show Profile
You know, some of those old wives tales were just so silly. How could anyone have belived them? But then, my Grandmother (God bless her!) thought that "Bat Boy" from the SUN rag magazine was REAL!!

Superstitions do strange things to people. My mother-in-law won't let me plant any Willow trees (which grow VERY well here) anywhere on the property. She says they bring sadness and bad luck, and she's scared to death of Owls. I can't remember what the significance of the superstition about the OWLS were, but she freaks out when she sees them. They live in the Palm tree on the property, and have since she was a little girl! Tracy
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  06:00:10 AM  Show Profile
We have a friend who will not plant watermelon or cucumbers together because the cukes make the watermelons "go off" and not grow well. They have to be a field apart at his house. I have grown them successfully together here, but I may just have been lucky!
I wonder if the daffodil tale is because the sunny yellow daffs would shame the sunny yellow yolks and make them pale in comparison, causing them to not nourish a forming chick? Hmmmmm.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

Edited by - Mumof3 on May 17 2008 06:00:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic English folklore about hens and eggs--neato! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page