Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  09:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Hi! I hope that by now you are no longer dueling with sinus problems...but in case you still are, I have some advise! I developed allergies in my late teens/early 20s and have always tried to find natural, alternative ways to handle them. The best best thing you can use, and I truly swear by this!...is a Nettie Pot. You mentioned that you were using sea salt sprays etc. It's a similar concept, however i have found that using a Nettie Pot provides lasting results. Since I started using mine 2 years ago, I have barely felt the effects of pollen OR hayfever season. Any time I feel like I am getting congested, or coming down with a cold...I have been able to ward it off by using the Netti Pot (not one cold last winter!) I could go on about the benefits forever...but I found a link that explains what it is, and how it works if you're interested. They run about $16. Most commonly, they are white porcelain, and can be found at most natural food stores. At www.peacefulcompany.com they have a handmade clay style that I prefer. It takes getting used to...it did for me...but once you get the hang of it...it just becomes a natural part of your day, like brushing your teeth.
Also, I found that replacing cows milk cheese (not always because what is life without pizza & ice cream?!) with goat cheese is extremely helpful. The protein in cow's milk, casien...increases mucus production & thickens it as well, which can lead to sinus problems. One last thing!...My secret ingredient in every recipe is Cayenne Pepper. It has a bounty of medicinal properties, and in most recipes you can't even tell it's there...but it stimulates the sinuses. Hope some of this helps. Here is the link about the Neti Pot. http://www.spaindex.com/Articles/NetiPot.htm
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  10:43:59 AM  Show Profile
Clare- I have mentioned this in a couple of other posts, but I would again reccommend the maker's diet book. It was written by a man that nearly died from Chrohn's diseas and was told by doctor's that there was nothing more he could do. He found a naturopath that taught him how to go back to the foods that we were created to eat. He focuses alot on rebalancing the digestive system which directly correlates with our hormones and nervous system. You go through a 30 day liver cleansing by eliminating certain certain foods and then adding them back, but in ways that your body better tolerates: ie- whole grains vs white flour and rice, honey, stevia, and maple syrup vs refined sugar. He focuses on sprouted and fermented foods as well as raw foods because of all the live enzymes that it offers. For me, it made all the difference in the world in how I felt. My mind was clearer and my skin was radiant and clear. I had more energy and less nervousness. I have fallen back a little in what i have been eating, but plan on re-doing the cleansing phase again. I'm not sure if you are a vegetarian Clare, but there are a lot of recipes that include meat. You could probably substitue some of those things with other vegetarian options. Sorry, for being so long winded, but I know it would do wonders for you and is meant for everyone, even if you don't have any health issues. It makes your body stronger so that it can heal itself!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  10:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your concern, Missy. Since I wrote that post over a year ago, I'm happy to report that I'm feeling better. Still an ever continuing discovery process, but that's how life is! What I've most recently discovered is that my body does not tolerate yeast foods. So, when I cut that out of my diet I feel IMMENSLEY better. Unfortunately, those are the foods I crave, so now that I'm over that hump I have to diligently avoid those or it's a re-entry period of withdrawals once again. But I've got my mind wrapped around it now, and it's easier to avoid them, especially at home and at work. When eating out, that's different, but I don't do that much and when I'm with the kids they might get Subway, which is generally healthy and I do believe they now have tortilla wrap options, which works! No yeast in those!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Natural Healing Techniques Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page