Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Compact Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Starting another thread on this..

http://sfcompact.blogspot.com/

http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/category/compact/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecompact/

These are a few great blogs and websites to get you started. I have modified the compact to fit my lifestyle. Enjoy!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  08:39:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Heather.

There are a lot of links on these sites as well, that are fascinating.

Some of the lifestyle seems a little extreme to me, but for the most part, it shouldn't be too much of a drastic change for most of us.

I am just not brave enough to do this yet.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  08:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Kate- I have made my own modifications. I can't go extreme either but there is a lot of information to go over and get ideas from. I wrote my own compact and family virtues and values on paper and it fits us perfectly. Try writing your own. It is actually fun.
Here are some things I changed:

1. No more shopping at Walmart. I do still go to Target but it is list and cash only.
2. Changed over to Klean Kanteens and we now carry our own water and drinks everywhere.
3. I returned anything in my closet with a tags on it this week. I am not modifying a few of my own clothes.
4. Going organic as much as I can. I budgeted an extra $20 a week for this and changed my budget elsewhere.
5. Paying on CC's and adding about $25- $50 to each payment to get our debt paid off. This is our biggest priority right now.
6. Shopping as much as I can locally, that includes the lovely farmgals here.
7. Spending more time outside for excercise, family time, health.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  10:03:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather,
You have some great ideas, and definitely something to think of while I start my own "Compact" with myself/my family.
Not shopping at Walmart isn't a big deal to me, I don't go there much anyways. BUT, Target is my down fall. I LOVE that store.
However, if I truly want to I "can" just stick to a list and only buy groceries there.
(Ours is a Supertarget, and their prices are the best for most of my grocery needs-and it is local- Sort of. Target is based here in Minneapolis)

Finally our weather is cooperating, so I can start hanging more of my laundry outside, and get rid of my mountain in the basement.
AND we can drag the doggie around the block and get us outside for some fresh air and exercise, and putter around the yard.

Dig down deep, girls, find your creative side too. Repurpose something, think outside of the "box."

I think I will try this for a month and see what happens.
By then, I will be used to it, so it will be normal.

BTW-Has anyone noticed more people carrying their own bags instead of using the stores crappy plastic bags?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  12:41:44 PM  Show Profile
I printed off the second blog...just couldn't get behind the girl moving to London from San Francisco...I don't live like that.

Because we shop second hand for clothing already, I can't do much more than that.
When the garden gets hopping, we'll have enough for us and enough to sell to the restaurant my husband works at...they want our La Ratte fingerlings in the WORST way! They're not storage potatoes, so why not make a profit.
I'm buying local chicken and eggs from a free range organic farm 3 miles from us, so that keeps me out of the grocery, unless I buy fish. With any luck, the only thing I'll need to buy is milk from a store for the whole summer into fall, plus flour and staples like that.

I always carry my own grocery bags, but the idiot kids at the grocery look at me like I have three heads...talk about thinking outside the box! I always just say, "it's just a "different" plastic bag..." Duh.

What I need to do is take my husband's money every night--before he "stops" somewhere on the way home or gets gas or whatever. Because he gets cash, it's sometimes difficult to actually calculate what he makes daily before he uses it and he has this really fabulous "I made ABOUT ___ dollars...." which drives me insane. About meaning $20 over or under that amount????

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  12:48:19 PM  Show Profile
I carry my own canvas bags to WINCO when I grocery shop. They give me 12 cents back on the two HUGE ones and 6 cents on the other ones. It is really nice not to have those yucky plastic things. QUESTION: Now what am I going to use to line my garbage cans?
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  1:23:07 PM  Show Profile
There are interesting aspects to this concept. I could see us implementing some of the practices in our lives for certain.
I cannot wait for our garden to start producing as well, and for the ladies to begin laying eggs!! :) Jim bought me a Country Living grain mill (non-electric) for Mother's Day, so I will be able to grind my own wheat very soon. If I hook it up to an exercise bike, I can kill two birds with one stone!
For those things we are not growing, it will be trips to the Farmer's Market so we will be buying local foods.
In my craft room is a pile of sheets waiting to be turned into aprons, skirts and lounge pants. I just have to clean a path to the sewing machine so I can get started.
Wow. I guess I'm doing more than I thought I was!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Compact Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page