Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Ever have one of these moments??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ever have one of these moments?? Next Topic  

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  07:05:45 AM  Show Profile
Where the cookbook just doesn't have exactly what you want, or nothing in it sounds good?? I had one of those moments last night (and it was a HUGE cookbook, too, lol), so I did some experimenting.

Basically pulled this and that out of the fridge, mixed it together and hoped for the best!

Started with a block of extra firm tofu that I've had forever and just needed to use before it went sour. I crumbled it up into a bowl, and then in a seperate bowl, I mixed some chicken seasoning, garlic, sage, marjoram, chili powder and a few other odds and ends with some melted butter, honey, and lemon juice, and then stirred that into the tofu. Pressed it into a small pie dish, and baked it slowly until the outside was just a tad past golden brown. I think it would be good sliced up on some sourdough bread and mayo for sandwiches. So tonight I'll probably try to make some bread, lol.

Then I chopped up some baking potatoes, threw them in a baking dish with olive oil, fresh garlic, basil and oregano, and onion, and some bits of vege meat. I put a tad bit of chili powder in those, too (yes, I do love chili powder! ), and then stuck it in the oven. It smelled sooo good while they were cooking!!

So today, I'm having potatoes, baked tofu and some green beans for lunch...

Any experiments you've liked??

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  11:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow. I wish I were that good at "throwing something together for dinner." Every time I try, I always get horrible results, which usually end up in the compost bin. I did manage to make a really great chinese fried rice a few weeks back, all from leftovers and some eggs that needed to be used up. I just scrambled the eggs in a deep non-stick pan, added some dried veggie flakes reconstituted in a bit of water, celery salt [Bo hates real celery], rice, and a few tablespoons of soy sauce, stirred it all together, and dug in. Best fried rice ever, except of course when I used chopped fresh bacon and cooked the eggs in the bacon grease.

My cousin (a beautiful, Italian kitchen genius) taught me a really easy way to make bruschetta, which you can make in the dead of winter, when fresh tomatoes are less than stellar, and can cure your cravings for Summer and its bounty.
Buy a long, thin loaf of French bread (a baguette), a can of diced tomatoes, some white (or normal "black") balsamic vinegar, a small head of fresh garlic, a little olive oil, and fresh basil (dried is ok, too.) Slice the baguette on a diagonal, making slices about 1/2 inch thick or less. Take a clove of garlic, slice it in half, rub the cut end on the bread slices, then toast them (a toaster oven or the "big" oven broiler works great for this, so the smaller bread pieces don't get stuck in the toaster.). Using the garlic this way adds a nice, subtle flavor. Top with some drained diced tomatoes, drizzle with balsamic and oil, and tear up a leaf of basil and lay it on top or sprinkle with dried basil. This has to be one of the easiest, fastest, and tastiest appetizers/snacks ever, and it's fairly healthy if you use bread made with unbleached flour.

Farmgirl #181
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
Save our oceans! Eat more prey fish!
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070624132617.htm

Edited by - N Marie on May 16 2008 11:50:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  06:14:36 AM  Show Profile
I love the line from the movie No Reservations- "You know, the best recipes are the ones you write yourself." It applies in life as well as the kitchen was the true message, I think. :)
Both of your recipes sound yummy!! Last week, I threw together some left-over red potatoes, sliced mushrooms, chopped shallots and fresh rosemary in a pan (my big cast iron skillet) and sauteed them a bit. Then I added the last few bits of flank steak from the previous night's dinner and poured 4 beaten eggs over the top of all of it. Put the skillet in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the eggs set, and my son and I had a lovely fritatta for breakfast. It was delicious!! I went back to sneak just another little piece and it was gone! DS1 had eaten it all! Well, at least I know he liked it. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ever have one of these moments?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page