Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I simply can't use A. Jenny's handmade towels!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I simply can't use A. Jenny's handmade towels!! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday, while cleaning up for breakfast, I asked Justin to run and get me a clean kitchen towel...so he goes and stands for about 10 minutes and stares into the linen closet (because he has NO idea where anything is, even after 8 years :)) and when I turned around from the sink to wipe my hands, there was one of two BEAUTIFUL hand embroidered towels that I purchase from Aunt Jenny. I squealed, "noooooo, those are too good to use!!!" and I quickly snatched it off the rack, folded it up nicely, handed it back to him and asked him to get another. So back he came with a forest green Christmas tree towel that I had no idea I even had. I just rolled my eyes....men really DON'T get "it", do they?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  1:14:37 PM  Show Profile
I know exactly what you mean!! I cannot use any of the towels I have received from my farmgirl sisters. My family doesn not feel the same though, and I am constantly grabbing them from their hands and shoving an old one in in its place!! I have to make sure I either have lots of paper towels or a basket of rags appropriate for use nearby now. Honestly!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  1:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is too funny ladies! I had a set like that and finally broke down and started using them. But I do have some linens from a great-great Aunt that I can't and won't use!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  5:16:30 PM  Show Profile
My grandma embroidered dish towels, one for each day of the week. She left them to me, with a little note pinned to it, in her writing, that said "For Shirley Jean". This was when I was little! I have never used those!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  5:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Actually, gals, that's kinda sad! I use all of my pretty towels - at least I do now. I never used to until I had read some little ditty about "saving" certain special items for use only for special occasions and then one day she realized her life had gone by without ever or hardly ever using and enjoying these special items (not just towels).

I took it to heart and use all my special things when ever I can. After all, they can't be enjoyed locked up in a closet or drawer! I know, they'll get dirty and you'll wash them and they won't quite look the same, but they're still special and you'll think of the special person you got them from every time you use them.

I have a beautiful vintage tablecloth that mil gave me many years ago and I never used it at first because I was afraid it would get stained. But after reading that little story, it came out with everything else. It has faded some over the years but it brings me such joy to spread it out on the table with dear mil in mind. After all, she did give it to me with the idea that I would use it and enjoy it. It does have a few stains and I remember how each one got there. So, in a way, what would have been considered something ruinous, actually became a memory added to it. I know it sounds weird, but I enjoy the stains as much as I do the tablecloth!

Live it up, gals! Use your special towels and other special things. Enjoy them, share them and get the most out of them.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  10:26:53 PM  Show Profile
I use most of my special homemade stitched things but do have a couple special ones from farmgirl friends that I keep more for decoration..they are OUT, but no one dares to use them. I love using my vintage stuff all the time though.
YOu are so sweet Jonni.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  12:13:44 PM  Show Profile
I love Aunt Jenny's towels! I have three so far and the only one that I don't use is the Busy As A Bee. That was a special gift from a friend. But I do use the others and they wash up beautifully.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  4:43:09 PM  Show Profile
I love them too, too much!!! Your family must be a lot better than my husband. Before I know it, he's used every white towel to clean up Spaghetti sauce, or red wine, or anything that I can't get out of WHITE. I just choose to NOT explode all over him, cuz I'm never gonna learn him on this one :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  6:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- You could always break them in gently by using them to cover bread as it rises or something :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  6:40:28 PM  Show Profile
Your image of Justin staring into the linen closet made me laugh. That's me when my husband asks me to "turn down the gain on the lead guitar" or "get me a 1/2 inch ratchet on a 3/8 inch drive". I'm glad it goes both ways :) I'd have trouble using a really pretty towel for something messy too.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I simply can't use A. Jenny's handmade towels!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page