Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Heirloom Tomatoes Next Topic  

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  9:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
This year I am not going to plant a big vegetable garden as I have before but I would like to plant some vegetables in a few BIG pots. I would love to plant some heirloom tomatoes and I saw some beautiful pictures of some on Tina's site ... Garden Goose. I am not sure which of the heirlooms on your site Tina would be good to grow in the SouthWest??..... Or does it matter ..... do heirlooms all grow well pretty much in all areas of the country?? I would appreciate it if anyone has other suggestions for growing vegetables in pots and which vegetables might do the best.

Audrey

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  9:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Audrey, Great discussion. I have a question too, for anyone that is experienced in the heirlooms. I am wanting to doing heirlooms this year and am later getting the garden in then normal as we had things all torn up... my question is.... can you by heirloom starts or just seeds? and if you can get starts.. does anyone know where in the yakima/tri cities area?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  11:03:10 PM  Show Profile
Audrey,
the following varieties should do well in your area:I looked it up to see what types would do well in the Southwest:

Black from Tula: a russian heirloom
Brandywine
Purple Calabash
Yellow Pear

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  07:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Tina,

You are Wonderful!!! I Soooooo appreciate your checking for me to see which grows well in the SW!!! I will be ordering from your site later today!!! And......I will keep you posted on my newest endeaver to grow vegetables in Pots....!!! OK....so here's another question that I am gonna throw out to all of you......what type of potting soil would you use .... I use Miracle Grow Potting Mix for my potted flowers are Vegetables OK with that as well??
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  08:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
DH and I are off to help our son plant his first vegetable garden today!!! Can't wait as I feel like we are passing the torch! We did a very big Vegetable Garden for many years (as you know I am going to try smaller this year for the first time). It is really fun that he now wants to do a big garden!!! Love passing things to the next generation....really does alot for the "soul"!!!

Audrey
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  09:49:42 AM  Show Profile
I am trying "Green Zebra" and "Green Sausage" heirloom tomatoes this year. The seedlings look a little fragile in my window, but will give them a chance and see what happens. The Zebras are yellow and green globe shaped tomatoes and the Sausage are shaped like a Roma. I got my seeds from SeedSavers in Iowa. Wish me luck. I am also going to drip irrigation water them instead of sprinklers. Hopefully that will keep the splitting to a minimum. Early Girl and Better Boy are still my favorites. I can't quite get my mind around canning green tomatoes. Would look a bit strange. Betty
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Heirloom Tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page