Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Searching: Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Searching: Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe Next Topic  

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  04:47:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm wondering if any of you ladies have a favorite chicken torilla soup recipe. I've got a whole chicken I'd like to use this weekend and that soup just sounded really good.
Thank you!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  05:52:08 AM  Show Profile
You know, Elizabeth, I use Rachel Ray's....I had all the stuff on hand and thought "what the heck" and it's pheonomenal...one of my favorites, and it freezes VERY well, too for leftovers. I'll see if I can find it...Oh! Found it.

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP with LIME

2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 pounds chicken tenders (not breaded)
Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1 large Onion, chopped
1 Jalapeno pepper minced (don't touch your eyes after cutting pepper until you have washed your hands)
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 cups yellow corn tortilla chips (about 4 handfuls)
2 teaspoons hot sauce such as Tabasco
1 quart chicken stock or broth (store bought works fine unless you want to make it homemade)
1/2 cup sour cream, for garnish
Zest and juice of 2 limes combined
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
4 scallions (green onions) thinly sliced (use both the white and green parts)

1. Preheat a medium soup pot over medium high heat and add the olive oil ... a couple times around the inside of the pan should be fine.
2. Chop the chicken tenders into bite size pieces.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot soup pot.
4. Lightly brown the chicken for about 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic, bell peppers, onions, jalapenos, celery, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. While that is cooking place the tortilla chips in a food processor and process until well ground. I f you don't have a processor place the chips in a sealable plastic storage bag and crush with a rolling pin.
6. Add the ground tortilla chips to the soup pot and stir to combine.
7. Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to a simmer.
8. Simmer the soup for 15 minutes
9. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the sour cream. Pass the lime zest, chopped cilantro, and sliced scallions for each person to add to taste.

Makes 4 servings

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  06:06:41 AM  Show Profile
My recipe uses all canned goods, but I sure like it a lot and it is oh so easy:

Cream of chicken soup (2 cans if you have a lot of chicken to add)
Organic chicken broth (I use the kind in the box)
2 cans Texas Style beans
1 can Rotel Chili beans
1 or 2 cans Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Chiles (again, use 2 if you have a lot of chicken meat)
Chicken, cooked and cut up into small chunks

Stir all together in a big pot until warm
Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 07 2008 06:09:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  07:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Excellent! I am pretty certain I'll have plenty of chicken so maybe we can try both :)
THank you ladies!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  08:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Yum ... a farmgirl recipe cook-off! Do let us know how the two compare; they both sound good.

The chain restaurant "On the Border" makes a really good version, but I'll have to try one or both of these recipes, too!

Jonni - you always come through, are you channeling the spirit of Julia Child or something? LOL

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  08:45:54 AM  Show Profile
I wish...though I don't want to be as big as poor Julia (all that wonderful French food!!!)...I'm tellin' ya, Jo, if I could afford to open a restaurant, I'd do it in a heartbeat...

I'm going to try Jeannnies, because I've got everything on hand there, too!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  12:12:10 PM  Show Profile
I totally forgot...I made this version a few months back and raved it about it on here, too, Elizabeth. It's also a Rachel Ray recipe--I was given the cookbook 365 no repeats a year ago and had just gotten around to looking through it. As I recall, I preferred this one over the other because of the fire roasted tomatoes. You're going to have quite a taste testing party on your hands--hey, that sounds like fun!!!!

3 cups chicken stock
1 pound chicken tenders
1 bay leaf, fresh if available
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
4 slices thick, smoky, center-cut bacon, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, plus 2 tablespoons sauce
1 can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (EVOO)
Salt
4 cups lightly crushed corn tortilla chips
2 cups shredded fresh smoked mozzarella or smoked sharp white cheddar (about 3/4 pound)
1 lime, cut into wedges
1/2 red onion, chopped
Freshly chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
PreparationBring broth to a simmer and add chicken tenders; poach 6-7 minutes with a bay leaf.

While chicken poaches, heat EVOO in a medium soup pot or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, then remove with slotted spoon. Drain off excess fat, leaving 2-3 tablespoons in the pan. Add onions and garlic to the skillet and cook five minutes; stir in chipotles and tomatoes.

Remove chicken from stock, dice and then add to soup. Pass stock through a strainer, then add to the soup.

Place a pile of crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of each soup bowl. Cover liberally with smoked cheese, then ladle the hot soup down over the top. Serve with lime, raw onions and cilantro at table to finish the soup.

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  07:42:17 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I tried the Rachel Ray recipe last night (same reason you did-- had all the stuff on hand! Including *4* almost empty bags of tortilla chips--precrushed!). It was great!!! A new staple to our menu. Thanks for sharing!!

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  08:14:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh that's great, Molly! That's usually the motivator for me for most things (do I have all of it, or can I substitute something small?) to make things. I'm so glad you enjoyed it...I have liked most of the recipes I've tried from that book. Simple and quick to boot!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Searching: Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page