Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vacation Frustration Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  12:44:52 PM  Show Profile
When your family plans a trip, how do you work out the arrangements? Does one person make all the decisions, or do you try to work it out between you? My husband and I have a week of vacation time coming up at the end of May, starting with Memorial Day Weekend. We were hoping to drive across NY, VT, and NH, go up the coast of Maine and spend a couple of days in New Brunswicke and Prince Edward Island. We've never gone that far east before, so it should be exciting. He wants to explore his French Canadian roots, and I have always wanted to visit PEI (home of Anne of Green Gables of course!)

So the problem is, we have no concrete plans made. I've tried to get him to talk to me about it, but he just won't. He's determined to finish 2 recording projects that he's working on first, and the technology is giving him trouble. Meanwhile, both of our cars need work, which is his area of responsibility as far as our household finances go. I'm afraid that if I call and make us some campground reservations, I'll have to cancel them due to lack of transportation (it's happened before). I really need him to work on this with me, but he just keeps working on the recording. He says he won't be able to enjoy the trip if it's not done (we've also had to cancel vacations for that reason in the past).

I really could use a break from work, so I don't want to lose this chance. I don't know what to do...should I just take matters into my own hands and hope that we have both a running car and enough money when the day comes to leave?

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  12:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, Amie, it sounds like a wonderful trip and I'd go on and make the plans. If you have to cancel, you do, but at least you have a few things squared away. It's always on me to make our vacation plans--always. And, really I don't mind because I'm pretty pragmatic and we both like to stay in B & B's and smaller inns, especially ones with animals.

If it's someplace neither of you have ever been, then the possibility of being disappointed is minimal...you're both seeing new things together. I'd do this, because it works with my guy and his "one track mind". I take care of the lodging, the food, if we're renting cars, whatever, and he takes care of the car. And, that's what I say: "Look, I've booked all the hotels and restaurants and things of that nature, and now all you have to do is make sure the car runs."

Don't miss out on this trip...it's going to be wonderful. Nothing would stop me from going if I wanted to, even if that means making the appointment at the garage and calling them with his credit card number! He's probably right though, about the recording work...if he doesn't get it done, he won't be "carefree" to go, and you don't want him along like that, for sure.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  12:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
You can always make the reservations so at least you have them and then cancel if need be. Scott does all the planning and calling and just firms up the dates and locations with me. I do the packing and usually, I plan what we are doing once we get there. I hope you can work it out.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vacation Frustration Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page