Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  08:53:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm one for planning huge, fun camping trips (some of which never seem to quite become reality, like the horse pack trip I was planning for this summer--too much school this year!!). But now, my boyfriend has a crazy idea...

He wants to climb Mt Rainier, in Washington state...probably summer '09, since we won't have classes to worry about then.

Neither of us have done anything like this before, but I'm game to try it. My father is deciding whether or not he wants to go, too. He hiked the Pacific Crest trail a few years back and would love to get out that direction again.

Have any of you done any mountaineering, have any suggestions, thoughts, ideas..?

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:59:25 AM  Show Profile
People die on that mountain every year. Please, please check in with the rangers.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  10:31:17 AM  Show Profile
I know they do, and I'm a little cautious, although the guys seem to care less about that fact. I had Justin read the search and rescue reports to show him all the stuff that happens up there, but he still wants to go for it...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  4:24:39 PM  Show Profile
Jodi, if they don't want to let the rangers know thier plans, then you should at least give them a heads up just so SOMEONE knows you're up there and when you are expected back.

I've never climbed anything that high and treacherous. If I were you, I'd consult with an expert or a guide who knows that mountain well.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  08:27:47 AM  Show Profile
As beginners you should definitely go on a guided climb to be safe. There are all kinds of Rainier climbing businesses around here. Try www.mountaineers.org to find out more about climbing and hiking in the Northwest. If you can't find what you need on their website, if you call them I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. Yes, people do die up there, but A LOT of people climb it, and nearly everyone comes back safe.

Farmgirl Sister #138
http://www.LilBitCrunchy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  09:44:42 AM  Show Profile
My cousins climbed Rainier for their honeymoon and it is one of their most treasured memories. Emme- guided hikes are such a great idea! I know you could go without but you would learn such a wealth of information having a guide the first time and I am sure the experience would make you a better climber.
Rbeekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Mountaineering? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page