Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  3:26:00 PM  Show Profile
8 Bells the filly came in second in the race and then broke both front ankles and was promptly euthanized. How sad for a great filly. My hat is off to her. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on May 03 2008 3:28:53 PM

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  3:39:01 PM  Show Profile
I was just watching that, how sad.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  3:39:20 PM  Show Profile
aww how sad!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  4:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that's horrible. I just think that is so sad. Poor, poor horse. I'm sure glad we don't do that to people.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  4:13:00 PM  Show Profile
I was watching too, and I came up to the computer to see if any of you had seen it. Very shocking. The race was over, they were showing the winner winding down, and then suddenly you see a horse down and the ambulances pulling up. She was running fine when she crossed the wire, to my untrained eyes. I was pulling for her to win.

I'm sure her trainer and the other staff are just heartbroken.
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  4:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Yes, very sad...I did shed some tears for her....The whole Barbero thing came back into my mind as this happened.

Farmgirl Sister #21
Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Proud member of Bees w/o Borders and ArtFuL SisTeRs

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com

Edited by - amyartgirl on May 03 2008 4:21:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  4:58:53 PM  Show Profile
I saw it, also. I was very sad.

I don't know a lot about horses-do they know what caused it to happen? It just seemed like such a freak accident-both ankles breaking?

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  5:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Well...I guess there was a reason I didn't watch the race this year. I had to take Justin to work and I got tired of looking at all the silly rich people on tv and chose to go out marketing. I guess it's a good thing I did.

Having grown up on the racetrack, this is always SUCH a terrible thing to witness...and I've done so several times. Terrible, just terrible.

Again, glad I didn't see it and I won't turn on the tv this evening, either it looks like.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  6:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so sad!

Jennifer- Horse racing is horribly hard on a horse's body. It actually is not as uncommon for a race horse to get these types of injuries as it is for other "professions" of horses. The amazing speeds plus the weight of the jockey can cause anything from inflamation, to bone bruises, to stress fractures and full fractures. The filly probably caused stress fractures during the race, but did not feel it, then must have stepped wrong as she was slowing down and changing gaits causing the bones to fully break.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  6:14:23 PM  Show Profile
That was very sad, not to many fillies race. She will be remembered, What A Girl!

"Greetings from the Gateway to the North Cascades."
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  6:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
How sad!! I wish they could just let them run wild and free...poor gal!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  6:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh I cried all evening and cannot stop thinking about it!!! Poor baby! I knew something was horribly wrong when all the trailers surrounded her and you could not see what was going on. They put these horses through so much. There bodies literally cannot take it. When is the pushing of these animals going to stop? I realize they must train, however is over-training ever been an issue the professionals need to consider??!! I think owners and trainers see dollar signs. The pictures of her ankles bent backwards on the internet are horrifying!!!
~Tricia

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  6:36:23 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Tricia. Why is this "okay", but dog fighting and cock fighting aren't. I don't see much of a difference between horse racing and the others.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  6:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Alright...I'm going to say very little, because my feelings about horseracing run deep...deeper than I can say. Not just because I'm from Kentucky, but because my father and my grandfather were both jockeys, and my father lived his life for horses and the racetrack, riding, training and eventually working as a state steward, a "judge", if you will, making certain that rules were followed at every track he would oversee. My summer job was exercising horses at the trac,k, up every morning, breezing at 5 am. I have seen many horses falter and be euthanized on the track, just like she was. It is never easy to see.

Tricia, it's terrible...but sometimes accidents just happen...and, despite their size and a horse's almost otherworldly power, an injury to a leg can happen at anytime, training or no. To horses that run constantly, to horses that run once a year. It just happens. Like it does to any athlete. Please remember that these horses are indeed, athletes....you hear all the time about freak accidents with young (human) athletes as well as older. It happens...that's why I don't dance anymore, due to injury.

Like every business, there are good and bad people. But, remember...these horses are the cream of the crop and treated so. They are housed in the finest stables, they are treated by the worlds finest vets, and their EVERY move is observed. They are literally saved for races like these. I know that they are living, breathing, feeling things--they are also an investment, and they love to run. You protect your investment...you don't mistreat it and expect to earn any interest.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on May 03 2008 6:43:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  6:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Well, in dog fighting and cock fighting the animals are meant to get hurt. Every time. Them getting hurt is the point of the sport. In horse racing, it is a tragic accident when it happens. I agree that everything possible should be done to prevent harm to the horses, although I don't know enough about race track practices to comment on the specifics.

But in contrast to what happened to Eight Bells, Big Brown had a great race. He looked like an animal who was doing what he was put on earth to do and enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  7:32:07 PM  Show Profile
My hats off to Eight Belles as well MaryBeth. I just do not understand how TWO front ankles can be broken????

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Well said, Jonni. Thanks. MB

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  8:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
My mother use to show horses you know high hurdles and things of that sort. Horse like these lots of times are actually treated better than the children of the person who owns the horse. As with out that animal they can not participate in the sports they love the animals do have fun with it they get excited when they get near rinks and tacks. they want to show off and run it is who they are. I was a long distance runner as a kid and teenager made it to the state level of junior Olympics. But you know I had to stop my freshman year do to to many injuries. I still have times when I can't walk from it I definitely can't run like I use to and at times that really bothers me as I use to love going out and running 10 miles for fun now I can't run one with out pain. i can relate to the horses they want to run it is fun. I would push myself when I was younger to run I would wrap my damaged knees and ankles and keep running till I would have both knees and both ankles wrapped and still I would run. It is what is in you the animals have it to I have seen it. No one is forcing them to do something they don't already want to do.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store vintage threadshttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=79144

Edited by - sunshine on May 03 2008 8:47:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  9:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Jonni - you are absolutely right. These animals are the cream of the crop. We sat and watched the race, made no bets. I've been to Churchill Downs a couple of times and it is a beautiful place, but I really like Keeneland to be honest because it is so much of the true bluegrass smack dab in the middle of horse country.

During the Rolex International events last weekend, two horses had to be put down because they were injured doing a couple of the cross country jumps. They said it was mainly because the riders miscalculated the steps, etc. One of the riders is still in the hospital recovering from surgeries, etc.

A horse is a powerful beast of an animal, just like any other. They are trained in what they do best. Accidents do happen, unfortunately. You never know when something will happen and most of the time it is without warning. A horse could step on something wrong. Kinda like going down the road and you get a flat tire from a nail in the road.

All you hear in Kentucky is the horses. They are beautiful, but there are SO many beautiful and wonderful things in our state and in the field of agriculture. I could go for days on horse stories because I've been around it since I was little. Most usually get in the business as a hobby. There are several famous folks that have farms just down the road from us and I've been fortunate to have visited quite a few in the area from work & from friends.

There is a good story to all of this...the roses that were made for the Derby were arranged by Kroger, a local company that promotes local agriculture. They dedicated the race & the drape of roses to the military members.

Here are some photos and such of different Derby happenings:
http://www.heraldleaderphoto.com/derby/2008/

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  06:13:51 AM  Show Profile
We have a big horse trial here called the Red Hills Horse Trials, and this year two horses died of heart attacks, and one rider was paralized. Nothing like that has ever happened here before. It shocked the whole town. So sad....I feel bad for the jockey who was riding her.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  06:20:31 AM  Show Profile
I posted this as a matter of fact. the Kentucky Derby is a prestige race. I did not post this to be a sounding board for right or wrong. I love the Kentucky Derby---I love horses. All i said was Hats off to Big Brown and Hats off to 8 Bells. Stuff happens. Lets move on now. MB

Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  06:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Agree! I LOVE THE KENTUCKY DERBY TOOOOO!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic KENTUCKY DERBY TRAGEDY Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page