Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 A few Hypothetical questions!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic A few Hypothetical questions!! Next Topic  

bushbean
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  2:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Scenario A: You are retired on Social Security: Would you pay an estimated half of your SS check to have a house, all utilities (except telephone and internet) , two full meals a day, A social community place for dinning, dancing, bingo, card games, light medical, exercise room, showers, maybe a pool, whirlpool tub and major medical?

Scenario B: You are a family: Would you work (30 hours a week at homesteading and other chores to have a house, all utilities (except telephone and internet) , two full meals a day, A social community place for dinning, dancing, bingo, card games, light medical, exercise room, showers, maybe a pool, whirlpool tub, home schooling, and major medical

Scenario c: You are single: Would you work (30) hours a week at homesteading and other chores to have a house, all utilities (except telephone and internet) , two full meals a day, A social community place for dinning, dancing, bingo, card games, light medical, exercise room, showers, maybe a pool, whirlpool tub and major medical.

And
Why you answered the way you did

Edited by - bushbean on Sep 22 2005 6:10:33 PM

bushbean
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  3:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Scenario A: Well, let's look at a 55+ community in Fl for instance. lot rent, buy or rent a trailer, buy your own food and pay utilities, Hopefully make enough to make ends meet. The social life is what you make it in the community. You have little access to a farm type life ex: gardens, quality food, animals, etc. Would a senior rather live in a town that offered Scenario A, rather than do it by yourself.
In the other two scenario's, you would be buying your home through the work that you do, and would or could take part in all the social aspects in the community.

Edited by - bushbean on Sep 22 2005 6:09:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  6:04:28 PM  Show Profile
No to all the choices. I value my privacy. I'd be miserable with people living so closely. I don't want to ask anyone what chores (I assume you mean chores) I have to do, when they have to be done and how to do them. I want my own land to do my own thing.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  6:31:16 PM  Show Profile
i agree with you robin. randi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  7:11:06 PM  Show Profile
no for me too..same reasons.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  7:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Scenario A: Ugh. I grew up in Florida... really wasn't my place, for a variety of reasons.

Scenario B & C: I don't want to live in a community like that. I want peace and quiet - I'm a semi-social hermit. Really.
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  05:28:53 AM  Show Profile
I think many of us are Alpha females and all have our own way of doing things. Mainly because we have had to. Giving up that freedom does'nt sound comfortable.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

bushbean
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  05:50:19 AM  Show Profile
I think most seem to be misreading the concept. maybe not

The idea is a town, like any town in this country. But the residents would have a common goal. like minded people doing what they want to do.

The community center would be for the use of the residents, not mandatory. You still would be buying your home. But the work would be that of homesteading. growing and raising food, crops for the animals etc. This is not a commune idea as some seem to think.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  05:57:53 AM  Show Profile
I would! I totally understand what you are getting at. Like a sustainable community. Similar to the one that Clair posted an article about and I posted a website.

Yes, I would do it. Being single with no children, I would relish a community where I would be "looked after" so to speak, still have my privacy and work towards a better cause. Preferably not in Florida.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

bushbean
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  06:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Kim, It would not be in Fl. I used Fl as an example of 55+ communities.

Right now, looking at Ok,Ks and Co.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  06:25:37 AM  Show Profile
Bushbean, I love all those places!!!! And I think the concept is great.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  6:41:10 PM  Show Profile
bushbean, I'm not all that far away from retirement but since farming is no longer an option and as long as I have a yard to grow my flowers, herbs and some veggies, Im happy. I want a small bungalow or a doublewide to turn into my cozy cottage. Im back at school writing for kids, I want some culture mixed into my life as well as the dirt from the earth. As long as I can care for myself and my family, thats good enough for me. I will probably become a "TOWNIE" but the beauty of all this is; Im adapting!! I never thought I could even think about anything but farming but God showed me another road to take, Im taking it and Im happy. I will always grow things, thats who I am but I dont have to have a farm to do it. On a small scale, growing things can be just as much fun. Im not getting any younger, my husband has health issues and this is our path. I dont want to live in a commune, retirement community or anywhere else where we're segregated, just among hopefully a good community, small town with a main street, my church and people I care about. Your question is really a good one. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  6:34:27 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Another Alpha female speaks up. I am with Robin on this. I want my own place (just as I have now), my own space and nobody to tell me what to do or that I should be a team player. Have had enough of that working in bureaucratic libraries for 30 years.

My theme song is "Don't fence me in....."

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  8:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Correct me if I'm wrong bushbean, I think there may be some misunderstanding?. In this "community" we are discussing, everyone would have their own dwelling, working towards goals like a community garden, co-op etc, but still have access to "town"? I've seen these on the web and they are similar to a small town. It's not really a commune and people are not really segregated?

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  8:35:41 PM  Show Profile
By the way. Count me in!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  10:05:31 AM  Show Profile
I side with Lynn -- semi social hermit, good term Lynn.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

bushbean
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  11:44:19 AM  Show Profile
http://www.citlink.net/~bushbean/320.jpg

How about this farm for a village?
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic A few Hypothetical questions!! Next Topic