Skiff
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Kathy
Plainview Texas
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  09:23:13 AM  Show Profile
I live in West Texas, was raised around the cotton industry for most of my life. My dad has grown or had a Cotton Gin for over 50 years. I have many memories of the garden and clothes on the line, irrigation in the fields, chopping cotton etc. I moved away from this area for over 23 years and have been back in the farming community for about 5 years. I love to hang out my clothes in the sun on the clothes line, I have a small garden, I am learning to can food and I cook from scratch. I am excited to see that other women have a heart to bring a life of simplicity to those in their lives.

Sunshine on your face.

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  09:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Kathy! Please join in our conversations!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  10:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
Wow, The cotton industry that sounds so (for lack of a better description..) Mark Twain...very interesting to have someone who could share that experience with us,
Terese
Go to Top of Page

Skiff
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Kathy
Plainview Texas
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile
I was a pre-school teacher and Director of a Child Care Center for over 20 years.(I want my girls to be able to be at home with their children if at all possible) and one of my goals is to write some children's books. I had a little boy I had cared for in the Kansas City area send me an outline of his body on butcher paper (flat) and I was to take him on an adventure. Being the pre-school theme teacher....I took pictures of cotton growing in the field from the seed, cotton growing the pink flowers, farmers watering the cotton, harvesting the cotton, the module truck picking up the cotton and the cotton gin, ginning the cotton. I put the story together for David and added a small bale of cotton (very small 2 ozs.)(A bale of cotton in the gin weighs 500 lbs) I added a stalk of cotton, fuzzy whole cotton and cotton seed that you plant to the box I send to David. He was a very excited boy to get to share his package with his friends at school and to show them the adventure flat David went on.

I am excited to talk to women that are like minded and also to talk to women that can challenge me in new and different ways.

The cotton crop in our area looks better than it has for over 15 years. The crop is setting on the pink flowers that sets the cotton bolls. We have had good rains and the sun without strong winds is wonderful!

Some of the farmers that I sell cotton for share their garden with me. I have had corn on the cob and a sack of onions dropped off on my front porch............Oh small town life...

Sunshine on your face.
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  10:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
Wow that is truly a beutiful story my little girl would have loved a gift like that. I grew up in
suburban cleveland, but my mother had a rural background. When it came time to dream I dreamed of a farm. We have a 2 acre lot in a small community and I farm 11/2 acres . I didn't realize cotton flowered pink. You are amazingly descriptive. terese
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  9:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Kathy...you sound like you are going to fit in just fine. The coton sounds so interesting. I have never known much about it before..never lived near where it was grown. I love the small town life myself, around here if you leave your window rolled down and go in the bank you may find a big bag of zuchinni on your front seat when you come out. Especially this time of the year!! Too bad no one leaves big bags of cherries, or apricots..haha

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  5:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
Aunt Jenny
Tommorow I am going to pick some herbs and head to town and leave them on the seats of my friends cars. Thanks for the idea,,, it will brighten their day....terese
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  8:17:33 PM  Show Profile
I could do THAT!! I love the idea of herbs. WE have library story hour at 10:oo A.M each day and my friends and I all volunteer for it. I can leave some on their seats. I wonder who is doing Tuesday? I have extra herbs too... thank YOU for that idea!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  8:07:36 PM  Show Profile
What fun! I could do herbs,too. What a different surprise that would be! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Cotton Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page