TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  07:19:47 AM  Show Profile
We're going to the Md Sheep & Wool Festival this weekend to buy wool and yarn but also to look at different breeds of sheep. My goal is to have a larger farm where I can raise sheep for wool!

I would love to hear from anyone who has sheep or knows about them and find out what breeds you love best! I have horses and mules but am a complete sheep newbie!

Kim

" Life's A Garden- Dig It! " Joe Dirt

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  07:48:41 AM  Show Profile
Kim, Have fun at the festival. I have two sheep, they are a border leicester, and shetland cross. They are easy to care for, but being pets, they can get into alot of trouble! Lately they have not been on my favorite list. I am just learning how to spin, and am going to tackle shearing this year. Glad I only have two!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  08:46:12 AM  Show Profile
For spinning, my favorite is corriedale.

We don't keep fiber animals (even though I am a fiber art fanatic) although DH wants to.

I keep telling him we would have to get a couple of Corriedale and some Shetlands. Then we would have to sell the saddle horse so we would have enough pasture for the sheep.

Of course, I would have to add some Icelandic & Jacob and CVM, then the draft horses would have to be sold.

Let's just say that as I continued on, replacing our current livestock with sheep breeds, DH put his foot down when the milk cow would have to go.

I told him it was better we didn't start! Besides, I'd rather support other shepherdresses for my fiber.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  09:24:55 AM  Show Profile
LOL, I intend to keep my horses....actually add a few...and have sheep! I dream big!! And having my own sheep for fiber would never keep me from buying yarn/fibers from other farms. So many fibers...so little time...but I'm trying!!

Kim

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  10:03:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by windypines

Kim, Have fun at the festival. I have two sheep, they are a border leicester, and shetland cross. They are easy to care for, but being pets, they can get into alot of trouble! Lately they have not been on my favorite list. I am just learning how to spin, and am going to tackle shearing this year. Glad I only have two!

Michele

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it this weekend. We went last year and I remember looking at the Leicesters. I would love to hear how it goes for you learning to spin and shearing! My hubby and son aren't too keen on the idea of sheep but I'm hoping they'll want to join in and help out...LOL...

Kim

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  12:16:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TabithaLenox

So many fibers...so little time...but I'm trying!!

Kim,
There in lies my problem. I'm slowing working my way through all the wool in the book In Sheep's Clothing. There is no way we can keep that many sheepl.

Our pastures are full with our current livestock (team of draft horses, saddle horse, hinney, milk cow, 2008 beef, 2007 beef & pastured Berkshire hogs.)

Then when I sat down and did the math for yearly cost ($$ & time) to care for one sheep (including feed, wormers, shearing), I realized it cost less to buy a raw fleece.

Have fun at MSW!

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  2:08:16 PM  Show Profile
I love my Icelandics. I only have two right now..both ewes...but I have had at least one for the last 8 years and love their size, their wool and their temperment. I had up to 10 sheep (not all pure Icelandic but most) at one time...too much for me...two is about right. I keep a milk cow and an angora goat (also for the wool) and chickens too. Cyndi is so right...it does cost less to buy the fleece. But I would miss my ewes so I keep the two I like the best.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  2:30:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I love my Icelandics. I only have two right now..both ewes...but I have had at least one for the last 8 years and love their size, their wool and their temperment. I had up to 10 sheep (not all pure Icelandic but most) at one time...too much for me...two is about right. I keep a milk cow and an angora goat (also for the wool) and chickens too. Cyndi is so right...it does cost less to buy the fleece. But I would miss my ewes so I keep the two I like the best.

Jenny in Utah

Thanks Jenny, I'll take a look at the Icelandics when we're at the festival this weekend. I have owned goats in the past but not sheep and am interested in learning more and having the experience of owning them. I'm really not concerned about the cost of live sheep vs buying fiber....but it's good info to know!

Kim

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  08:52:55 AM  Show Profile
HI ladies!!! At the mere mention of the word "SHEEP," I just had to stop by and drop in MY two-cents worth!!!

I am the proud owner of 25 sheep (two differnt breeds and 3 "mutts"). I have been raising "Babydolls" for almost 10yrs now and they are GREAT little sheep! There is a HUGE demand for them by organic growers (mostly Vineyards right now) and the interest in their wool is also on the rise. I have yet to spin any of their wool, but that is my eventual goal. I've had lot's of people asking for it too, but I have not sold any. That will come soon as well. I've got the "Husbandry" thing down pretty well, so my next goal is to start the "production" phase.

The other breed that I recently bought (last May) is the Jacob. They are WONDERFUL sheep! Though their wool is not as fine as the Babydoll's. It's used mostly for blankets and such, whereas the Babydoll wool is used for outer clothing-- hat's socks, scarves, sweaters etc.... though some wool is much finer on some sheep than others.

Out of curiosity I DID breed my Jacob ram to one of my Babydoll ewes last fall. I was curious to see what that mix would produce. The ewe is not due until next month, but I can keep you all posted if anyone ELSE is as curious as I am!!!

Whatever breed you get Kim, you're going to be HOOKED for life!!! I know I AM! hugs and smiles! ~~ Tracy
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  08:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Tracy for the encouragement and letting me know what breeds you love! I've seen the Babydolls and they are so cute. I'll keep a look out for the Jacob so I can see that breed too.

Thanks again!!

Kim

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  09:15:47 AM  Show Profile
You will be astounded when you see those Jacobs Kim. They can have up to SIX horns and the multi-horned rams are WICKED looking!!!! I purposely chose two horned breeding stock because, frankly, those top-of-the head ram horns scared the HECK out of me!!! (you'll know what I mean when you see them up close and personal! LUCKY GIRL!! wish I were going with you!) They are surprisingly gentle sheep. My ram actually got all pouty when I sheared him a few weeks ago and layed down in the process. I even trimmed his feet while he was lying down, but I missed one because he refused to "roll over" so I could get to it.

I haven't sheared the two girls yet, so I don't know how they will behave, but I absolutely HATE shearing my Babydolls. Most of them jump around and complain a lot, no matter if I use electric or HAND shears (which I perfer most), and trimming their feet is a nightmare!

I do all my own shearing and I haven't used a stand, I'm afraid that with all the "carrying on" someone is going to fall off and get strangled, or break a couple of legs, so I just tie them to the fence with a halter and shear them standing on my head. (at least that's how it FEELS!!!)

So far I have found no one willing to shear a flock of "shorties," and after doing the job myself for the past 9 1/2 years I don't blame them! I guess my sheep will ALWAYS look like a flock of demented POODLES!!! (LOL) Have fun at the Festival!!! And bring back lots of pictures to share! ~~~ Tracy
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  10:21:59 AM  Show Profile
LOL....loved the image of your Babydolls running around with their crazy poodle cuts!! That's too funny. I'm sure between me and DH, we would be doing all our own shearing like you do. Did you start out with just a couple of sheep to start?

I'll have to see the Jacobs! I had no idea they could have that many horns. That's gotta be a little scary looking...LOL

I would love to see pics of your sheep!

Kim

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  11:04:10 AM  Show Profile
I started with 4 Babydolls. I bought a black ram (which I did not know at the time was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get-- Proof that God really DOES listen to our prayers, no matter how small, or how ridiculous they might seem!) and 3 white ewes from two differnt CA breeders. A friend helped me shear them the first two years, but she's no Spring chicken and these sheep are VERY hard on your back. Considering the fact that they are no taller than 24" at the shoulder, I think you can understand WHY!

I have done all the shearing BY MYSELF for the past 7yrs, (and the flock has steadily grown), though I put my foot down when it came to shearing my husband's sheep. They are HUGE!!! Not sure what breeds exactly, but I told him I was NOT going to shear HIS sheep, and that, since he never helps me with MINE, he could shear his own all by himself. Needless to say, I should have gotten my video camera out and captured the moment for posterity.

It was QUITE hilarious watching this chubby little hairy man roll around on the ground wrestling with a fat bag of wool the size of a PONY!!!! I sat nearby on the sidewalk painting my patio furniture and laughing myself silly!!! He realized then that it's not as easy as I made it look!!! (though he STILL won't help me! but that's ok. He still has to shear his ewe--- HA! HA! HA!)

As to WHY my Babydolls look like poodles, well, the only way I can tell the ewes apart is to leave the wool on their heads. I have one bad genetic line and those ewes do not get bred, but, once completely clipped, they ALL look alike!!! (except the one with no ears-- long story) So.. I leave the wool on their heads. I am going to tag them all this year when I shear, so I won't have to rely on the "Hairdo's" bobbing around the pasture to tell me which ewe is which.

As for the Jacob's, if you'd like a "preview" of what they look like, type in "Meridian Jacobs" on your browser and check out the animals on that farm. That's where my sheep came from. They're gorgeous!!! I even have TWO Lilacs! I'll see about the pictures. I maneuver a computer about as well as I shear sheep! (LOL) ~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  11:17:44 AM  Show Profile
ROFL...OMG, that is just too funny! It's a shame you didn't videotape it...you could have won grand prize on Americas Funniest Home Videos!! Love the 'hairdo' ID for the Babydolls....and here the other sheep just thought those sheep had cooler haircuts than them...LOL Smart idea to be able to tell them apart!

I'll check out the Meridian Jacobs! And too cool about the black ram...I do recall reading that they are hard to find!

Kim

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  11:55:04 AM  Show Profile
Yes, the black Babydolls are still a little hard to get, but... not for ME!!!!! My newest ram (the only other Babydoll I have ever bought) is a HIGH % color producer (he's 4th generation black lines on BOTH sides). A huge bonus is that MOST of his lambs are ewes. I don't sell my black Babydoll ewes, so I've got quite a few blacks in my flock now. I also kept one of his black sons (he's the spittin' image of "dad"), so if I DO buy any other Babydoll ewes I can breed them to him.

Actaully, niether of those two rams are "Black," though they were "hatched" that color. Black Babydolls rarely, if ever, STAY black. My original ram was a very striking brindle pattern when he was sheared. When he was in full wool he looked like a moldy grey blob. Not pretty, but I did not realize at the time it was such an unusual thing. (we lost him to accidental poisoning several years ago)

My "New" ram is called a "Black Silver-Back." He has a dark chocolate face, legs, and tail! The rest of his body is a light tan. (Picture a chocolate chip cookie and that's what my ram looks like). I have one yearling ewe that is slowly fading to the same color. The ram came from "Mutiny Bay Farms" on Whidby Island, off the coast of Washington, and that was a color that that particular breeder poduced in her flock. Hard to find it anywhere else. She is a fiber artists and her sheep won a lot of awards for their fleeces. I'm sure the unsuual colors of her stock helped to win them too.

The Babydoll ewe I bred to my Jacob was sheared recently and she has a charcoal grey body with a solid black band around her neck and a few black spots here and there. She was a chocolate brown all over when I started! (which was "sun fade") I tell ya, shearing the colored Babydolls for the first time is like Christmas!!! or a box of chocolates... (he! he! he!) 'Ya never know what ya gonna get.... ~~~Tracy

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  12:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Tracy, thanks so much for talking 'sheep' with me! Chatting with you has made me even more excited about looking at the different breeds. You really make them sound like fun....hard work, but fun!

Kim

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  12:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Hard work? Nah.... they just need to be fed daily (sometimes twice a day, depending on the season and WHAT'S being fed to them), wormed on occasion, shots, pedicures, haircuts, heads pulled out of fences, and OTHER strange places... usually ALWAYS when you're in a hurry or late for an important appointment.... and the amount of POOP they generate? well, lets just say-- Venice would NOT be sinking if they had sheep in THAT city!!! (LOL!!!)

But seriously, they ARE a lot of fun. Even if they are kinda dumb. But you and I probaly would be too if our only priorities in life were to eat everything green around us and FERTILIZE the rest! ~~~ have fun this weekend! And while YOU'RE out having fun, I'll be here shearing more sheep, up to my EYEBALLS in SHEEP PEBBLES!!!! ~~~ Tracy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  9:43:46 PM  Show Profile
I have had jacob sheep too..they were really nice. I had a jacob ram for awhile...even raised some jacob/icelandic lambs and they were sure nice. A good combination that was!
I like all wool breeds. I am about ready for shearing too..I only have the two and one angora goat..and shear twice a year...I do it by hand with hand shears (not electric) not a quick process, but it works for me.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  10:27:42 PM  Show Profile
I have both electric and hand shears, and I like my hand shears best too. Though, after only two or three sheep my hands start to hurt. Not to mention my BACK!!

The electric clippers get really heavy and the sheep HATE the vibration, especially down their back. The cord gets in the way constantly, and they do get hot so you have to stop a lot to let them cool off. (and yes, I do oil them a lot as I go). After the first couple of sheep they start to get slippery too and it gets a little dangerous to use them if you can't keep a good grip on them. They can do A LOT more damage than hand shears.... and not JUST to the sheep!!!

Edited by - shepherdgirl on May 02 2008 10:30:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  10:46:20 PM  Show Profile
The heaviness is the reason I have stuck with hand shears...it was a pain when I had 10 sheep but not such a big deal with just 2 sheep and a goat to shear. I just don;t usually do all three in one day.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  05:01:08 AM  Show Profile
I just got clippers last night to shear my 2 sheep. The guy I had stop by last year to shear, did not seem to eager to shear just 2. So, I like doing things myself.......might not be the best choice, but here goes!! Going to shear, once it quits raining here. Or I should say snowing this morning. The baby doll sheep sound cute. I have not seen a picture of them before. 24 inches tall, that is pretty small. I plan to have my husband give me a hand shearing. Should be interesting. I enjoyed reading your adventures, Jenny and shepherdgirl. I will try to do some before and after pictures just for fun!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  3:57:45 PM  Show Profile
Babydolls ARE cute Michelle, but don't let those "smiling" faces fool you!
People are under the mistaken impression that they look like that ALL the time-- in reality, it's-- every time they look at us suckers who think they're adorable, and especially those of us who raise them-- they are actually LAUGHING!!! (LOL!)

Just for the record-- I shear all 18 of my sheep with hand shears!!! Call me CRAZY! (and I AGREE with you) Happy shearing ladies! ~~~ Tracy
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  1:04:12 PM  Show Profile
We sheared yesterday. Oh My Goodness. We survived, the sheep survived, I got some good looking wool. But it ain't as easy as it looks, for sure. Not that it really looked that easy! And the sheep do not look that good either! Well the first one anyways, looks a little rough around the edges. The second one did better. I think it took us 2 hours to accomplish this. We need to go back and trim him up here and there. I am saying we too. My husband assisted. What a work out. Two dummies oh maybe we should of read a shearing for dummies book before hand! My hat is off to all that shear their own fleece animals. Sure hope the guy I had shear last year, appreciated not haveing to stop in this year! :)

Michele
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  12:19:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm STILL shearing sheep! I can only do one or two a day. The next morning I'm so stiff I can hardly move! The last one I sheared left a cramp in my butt for TWO DAYS!!! It was so bad I couldn't even sleep at night!

She's one of my smallest ewes, about 20" or so at the shoulder, maybe even smaller. (I haven't measured her). I tie them to the fence with a halter, though that one hasn't much in the way of "external" ears (that's why we call her "NUBS'") so the halter kept slipping off.

Ok, I'll explain-- when she was a newborn lamb, my guardian dog-- who was just a puppy at that time-- just "LOVED" the skin right off those ears. As they were healing up, she got an infection in both of them and they sort of shriveled up and fell off! On one side she's got this little flappy peice, but on the other side its just two little pieces that stick straight out. She's quite something to see. She can hear just fine, as long as the wool around her "Nubs" isn't too long.

I don't know what it is about my dog and ears. My ram seems to have less and less of one on the left side of his head after each breeding season. I've also noticed that at least two of the other ewes are each also missing the tip of one ear. (probably the ones that like to steal the dog's DINNER every night!). I never can catch the dog snapping at them, so I'm not sure how to make him stop. Actually, I don't think he's chewed any ears in awhile. They all look pretty much the same.

Hey, how did the sheep Festival go? Did you bring any home? ~~Tracy
Go to Top of Page

wooly1s
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Coeur d Alene Idaho
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  08:05:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi! Sorry to just jump in on you, but this is one of my favorite subjects! I swore never to have sheep after having worked with what I call the "white woolies" in Ag research as a teen...and now am a barn slave to a whole flock of them. I even sold all of my colored Angora goats to get them!

I am smitten with the Icelandics. They are not quite as "flocky" as some other breeds (i.e. they are capable of independent thought and spread out over a pasture rather than clump) can be raised on grass and hay alone, and produce two clips of fiber a year, milk and meat. They can be horned or polled and come in 17 different colors and patterns. One of my favorites looks like a Holstein cow, and I have another that looks like a Border Collie with horns!

They lamb easily, twin and triplet, and the tails don't need docking (call me squeamish..it's hard enough to ear tag...I don't want to snip tails too!) They are also very hardy, and tend to be parasite resistant.

This year I hired a shearer, which was like seeing poetry in motion! When I had my "introductory" flock and my Angoras, I sheared by hand with scissors in the goat stanchion. I found scissors worked well with the Angoras, because they are so thin-skinned, and loose-skinned, but there is quite a bit or fiber on the Icelandics...I would have still been working my way through the flock when it was time to begin again! Their fiber has two elements - tog and thel - which are both wool. They can be separated, or worked together, so you can get three different kinds of fiber from one animal.

Yes, it is definately cheaper to buy the fleece than keep the animal, but the fringe benefits are hard to put a value on...frisky lambs, fertilizer, and fume-free lawn maintenance...not to mention adoring eyes and that "baa, baa, baa-ing" from the hillsides!

So, I too am wondering...did you bring home any sheep? Have you been converted to shepherdess?

wooly1s

www.promisedlandfamilyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  07:34:42 AM  Show Profile
No, didn't come home with any sheep but we looked at as many breeds as we could. It seemed like there were less breeders there this year and not as big a variety of breeds. I loved the Icelandics! They were very friendly and I liked their size. I also loved the Karakuls....very interesting breed. There was also a Scottish breed that I liked with longer hair...can't recall the name offhand. Right now our fencing is setup for horses not sheep so it's going to be a little while before we buy so for now, I'm learning as much as I can!

Wooly1s....the fringe benefits you listed are exactly why I want to have them too!

Kim

Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Favorite Breed of Sheep? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page