Page: of 2

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  3:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
We fell into the sheep business a couple years ago.

First came the "bummers". Our first one even slept in Mom's bed the first week. By the third one, it was "in the house for a week", and then out to the back yard.

We suffered the loss of the first little guy, and then got another new sheep... We were told it was a ewe. More on that later.

Last year, our mentor sold her little neighboring farm, and suddenly, we owned four more ewes. We'd already bought a nice ram.

The shearer paid us a visit, and I gotta' tell you... that was a learning experience.

Now, this one sheep that was supposed to be a ewe (we'd even named her "Chiquita"), well, she had horns. That should have been the first clue that something wasn't right. I tried to tell my roomie's that ewe's didn't have horns, but...

Well, Flip, the shearer, took one look at "Chiquita" and said... that's no ewe. When "she" let out a really deep "Blahhhhhh", Flip was sure. No, wait he's got her upside down and sure enough, she looks like a ewe.

But, we had sent her to be bred and nothing happened. That should have been our second clue.

Flip proceeded to shear "her", and once done he looked at her butt and said... she's got a little of both. You need to call her "Bruce"!

Anyhow, Flip felt sorry for us and said he'd take it in lieu of cash for the shearing. You can imagine my roomie's when I called each to check with them. I said, "It won't make lambs and it can't give us lambs, should we make the trade?"

Quick answer was tell her/it good-bye for us!

This year, things are MUCH better. We have 10 little lambs from our own ewes and ram. Shearing went much better, no surprises.

Oh, and for breeds, we raise black Merinos crossed with Suffolk. Our ewe's are purebred Merino and our ram is a big (350#) black Merino x Suffolk. We've added one little PolyPay ewe lamb that was provided as a replacement for a botched lambing.

Merinos are known for their multiple lambs. Beulah, the matriarch, had quads and is raising three after losing one (not fully developed).

Our sheep are penned year around, fed alfalfa, have shelter as they wish, and seem to be very happy.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleecs? We do, and you can,too!
Fleece For Sale!

Edited by - therealshari on Jun 14 2008 3:08:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  9:27:24 PM  Show Profile
ooooo! So you had a Hermaphrodite sheep? How WIERD!!!!! I know it happens but.... Did you know what breed "Bruce" was?

In many breeds, ewes DO have horns, but they are much more dainty and feminine than the rams. And the girls certainly don't have the voice of a "Drag Queen!" (LOL) Too funny Shari!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  10:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
"Chiquita" who became "Bruce" was a PolyPay. Considering it butted Cindy into the water trough, and loved to butt the rest of us as often as possible, I was sure it was a ram... but my city girl roomies had been told it was a ewe.

Of the four of us, I'm the one with the most animal experience as I raised rabbits commercially for several years, spent my childhood summers on farms, and lived in a rural area where most of my friends had farms.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  11:20:24 AM  Show Profile
It was really fun to read all your posts. I love sheep, I love wool, can't knit any more after three carpal tunnel surgeries and arthritic complications, but I admire all the flocks I see in people's fields and at the local ag fairs. They are such wonderful shapes (I can still draw and paint) such personalities, if I can find the picture of my friend Michael's sheep I'll post it and maybe you can tell me what kind they are....it sounds like a major adventure to shear those babies, but I loved reading about it! Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  7:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Karin-- would a "knitting Machine" be an option for you? Have any of you "Sheep-ladies" ever used one?

It's a shame you had to give up knitting. I'm still learing, but it's a "WINTER" project for me, so I don't do it often, though I would like to learn more stitches. If I could just learn to read the DIRECTIONS!!!! ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

AlpacaRenee
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Renee
Wilton Ca
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  9:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
I have a fiber farm...sheep, angora goats and alpacas. I have to tell you for the amount of fiber, and for the ease handling the animals for routine maintenance (trimming feet, shearing, shots, etc) alpacas are the easiest of the 3. And I'm not just saying that because I sell them. Right now, like everything else, the market is soft. I bought my first foundation herd about 5 years ago and prices now are less than half of what they were. A person can pick up a fiber gelding alpaca for around $500. I sell my sheep for $225/lambs up to $400 adults. So for the quality of fiber, the quantity of fiber shorn each year, ease of care, etc., I would recommend you consider alpacas...plus a bonus is, you can transport them in the back of a minivan or suburban without making a big mess. An interesting note about camelids: they are "communal poopers"...they poop in a pile. So when you put them in the back of a car, usually they won't poop in the car unless you have a really long trip. Just get them out at a rest stop, sprinkle some poop on the ground, then they go and you load them again and off you go.

As for sheep, I have Romneys...not the finest fleece, but really bright, and the sheep are really healthy and hardy. But sheep are big "fence testers." Alpacas are not (thankfully, because lots of my fences are really suspect! :O)

Thanks for all your wisdom and input!

Renee

Finney's Fiber Farm Alpacas...where being dense is a GOOD thing!
Go to Top of Page

wooly1s
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Coeur d Alene Idaho
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  9:32:21 PM  Show Profile
How strange to find "she" was and actual s/he!

Our breeds, Soay and Icelandic, have horns on both the ewes and rams...We love the really W-I-D-E hornson our girls...I wish I knew how to post a picture, but you can see one of our wide ones on our website...scroll down to the bottom of the page of this link and have a look at Crystal.:)http://promisedlandfamilyfarm.com/sheep_for_sale.html

www.promisedlandfamilyfarm.com
www.promisedlandfamilyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  09:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
I can guarantee there was a lot of "button-busting" this year as we presented our sheep for shearing. First we had the "round up" at our place. Only had to convince a couple of girls that the trailer was a good place to be. With our neighbor's help, we were able to leave the lambs (60 days old) home and take just the ewes.

Then, we were even able to "be of great assistance" with catching and moving ewes back to the trailer. I was even quick enough to grab the fleeces and throw them into bags (with ID cards even) before Flip could choose his next sheep.

We were even able to be in the right places to drive the neighbor's sheep from his big pen to the holding pen (with the lambs), and then to drive the ewes back to the pen after shearing without their lambs.

Like we say... we're learning when folks are willing to teach us.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  11:55:05 AM  Show Profile
We raise Texel and Coopworth sheep on our farm and crosses of both. Texels are a "down" or meat breed but have decent wool too and the Coopworths are a "maternal" breed with very lovely fleeces. Texels are very docile sheep and easy to work with. The cross makes an excellent meat lamb as well as mothers and are quite marketable in the commercial lamb market. We have 50 ewes. It's fun to hear that so many have sheep. Common ground.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  09:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
LOL!!! What a fun and informative post!!! Thank you all so much!!!

For Tracy: I love how babydolls look but am wondering about the fiber, do you really get request for it and how much do you get when you shear and how many times a year do you shear? And I LOVED all your stories!! Thank You!!

Karen, would love to hear more about Icelandics!!

Renee, Both I and my mother have thought about Alpacas. Do you do well using them for fiber? Or is it mostly for breeding? It seems most people I have spoken to about Alpacas were very possitive on breeding and selling but knew little about fiber and fiber production when it came to Alpacas. I would love to have a few and would like to hear more if you have a chance!

Thank you all so much!
And as always,
Hugz!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

wooly1s
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Coeur d Alene Idaho
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  09:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Hello, Buttercup!

I would love to bend your ears (or eyes ) about Icelandic sheep, but don't want to worry the whole list with my rambling!

So instead, I will give you a link to our breed association's information page: http://www.isbona.com/icelandicsheep.html
And you can read as much as you'd like!

Suffice it to say, after working in ag research as a teen with "white woolies" I vowed NEVERto own sheep...and then I met my first Icelandic...gone are the goats, the horses are for sale...all to make room for my ever-increasing flock!

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Thank you so much for the link!! I am off to read and look!!! If I have any questions, can I pester you?!?

Thanks Again!!

Hugz!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

wooly1s
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Coeur d Alene Idaho
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:24:09 AM  Show Profile
Pester away! I love to talk sheep...you wouldn't be pestering at all...in fact you would be indulging me!

Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  1:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
I just posted the story of this year's shearing on my "Shari's Gone Country" blog. When you click on one of the pictures, you can get to my Gallery, where there are tons of photos.

Shari Thomas
Go to Top of Page

wooly1s
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Coeur d Alene Idaho
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  5:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Enjoyed your blog, and especially your candor. Lambing is such an exciting time, and easy to romanticize, but sometimes the reality falls far short of storybooks. So sorry to hear of your losses. Rejoice with you on your successes! You are a shepherd in my book - taking the good with the bad - not giving up, and being willing to ask for help when it is needed, and learn for the future - what more could a shepherd do?

Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  6:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Wooly1s,

Thanks so much for your kind words. Like I've said, I'm the "animal girl" of the Four Country Gals, and my background really is more in rabbits and chickens. I hung out with a lot of FFA sheep folks, 4-H sheep folks, and dairy folks, so got a pretty good "edumacation".

Cindy is "horsey". Bev is a retired cop who's trying really hard to get "country". So, you can imagine how much fun we really have around here.

Shari Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  06:41:45 AM  Show Profile
I agree to share the successes and learn from the mistakes and you're qualified as a good shepherd. Sheep are the only animal I've raised that have kept me humble because there is always a new challenge to conquer and learn from--the minute you think you know something they show you that you know little! Definitely the most educational species I've ever raised! Sheep are an addiction of sorts in my book...I love to talk about them, love to hear about them and be immersed in taking care of them. Then every year I think about selling the whole flock. They aren't for the faint-hearted.

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Oh, and to y'all who've not taken time to read my blog... sheep are not dumb. They are very smart, exceptionally curious, and can be quite affectionate if you're patient.

One thing I've learned is that to the phrase "drive sheep" is a misnomer. You don't drive them. They don't follow you.

You create a path of least resistance with a really good reward at their destination, and then... don't get in the way. Don't let them see you. Just let them get from point A to point B without any options.

Shari Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:29:11 PM  Show Profile
Don't tell my border collie that...she's been herding, driving and gathering my sheep for years and the sheep know to come to me when she provides her encouragement. I wouldn't have sheep without her.
Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Favorite Breed of Sheep? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page