lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  10:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Does any body know if these huge pumpkins of mine will do for pie filling or should I just give them to kids for jack-o-lanterns?

I was Country before Country was COOL

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  12:19:15 PM  Show Profile
What kind of pumpkins are they?

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  12:28:20 PM  Show Profile
HeHe,,,,,big ones
I have NO idea, hubby does garden, all I know is they came up volunteer this year, were yellow at first then turned orange, they are huge, like over two feet in diameter, kids want the big ones I am going to try pie filling with the smaller ones

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  3:59:48 PM  Show Profile
If you have enough of them, plethora sounds like a lot, in Oct, put them in the back of a pick-up and sit in a parking lot in town, with permission, and sell them cheaper than the stores. Two ladies in town here do that and it looks like they make some good money.

Edited by - owwlady on Sep 22 2005 4:00:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  4:03:38 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea thanks, I have ten going to grandkids for halloween think I will actually just take them to work and give them to my nurses aides for their kids to enjoy, these people work twice as hard as I do for less than half the money and it seems they all have little kids. Then I think I will just buy Libbeys for my pies!!

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  4:23:50 PM  Show Profile
You'll be known as the "Pumpkin Lady" at work. I also let Libbeys do my canning for me! Jan
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  6:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Awesome idea, Lareyna. I worked as a CNA for a couple of years. It's hard work. I'm sure the aides will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

LaSunshine
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Dawn
Lake Charles LA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  10:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Here's an easy to prepare your pumpkin, that's a lot easier than peeling, cutting and boiling. Cut in half from top to bottom, removing stem. Scrape out seeds and fibers. Place cut side down on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 for about an hour, or until it's pierced easily with a fork. Let cool and scrape out pulp. Strain well in a colander to get rid of extra moisture, and then puree in food processer. Lots of work, but it makes the best pumpkin bread.
We grow lots of pumpkins every year - an heirloom variety that is beige on the outside and dark orange and sweet on the inside. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  10:16:52 AM  Show Profile
WElcome Dawn!! Be sure to introduce your self so we can all get to know you!!
What is the name of your heirloom pumpkins? I will have limited pumpkin area next year (new cow took up part of the garden area so I am doing raised beds and compacting my garden area this next year) I would love to plant them. I love to try old varieties of anything and love pumpkins.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

LaSunshine
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Dawn
Lake Charles LA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  6:46:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself. I've been following some of "conversations" for some time, and feel like I know everyone, but this is my first contribution. We live (and garden) in southwest Louisiana. My husband was raised on a farm in a little town north of here. We actually live "in the city" but have one acre and enjoy gardening year-round. Our pumpkins were the only thing left in the garden after Hurricane Rita hit in September. I'm not sure of the variety, as they have been grown by my husband's family for years, and they have passed down the seeds. They are easy to grow and are a good "keeper". I once heard someone describe a similar pumpkin on a radio gardening show, and they called it a "sugar pumpkin". I save some seed from each year's crop, and will be happy to share with you.

Dawn
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  08:08:09 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Dawn. Hope there wasn't too much damage to your place after the Hurricane. I have done the same as you mentioned baking the pumpkin sections and then scooping out the pulp. It is a lot of work, but you are right, great pumpkin bread and pies.

Anne in Portland

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

LaSunshine
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Dawn
Lake Charles LA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  11:33:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your concern, Anne. We had some damage, but there are lots of people worse off than us. We have roof damage, like over half the city, and a brick wall that collapsed, wiping out the central air conditioner units and several windows. Many houses in our area have similar damage. We are progressing slowly in repairs - contractors are so busy, we just have to wait our turn. But everything is covered securely in tarps, and thank goodness our winters aren't usually too cold. We've started over with the garden - the fall/winter/spring gardens are my favorite, anyway!
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  12:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Selling pumpkins is a great way to have a few extra dollars. We have a friend who put out 12 acres of pumpkins. He lives in the same area as our farm. (we live in the city 100 miles away, though) Anyway, as I passed his place one day I stopped and inquired if I could help him get rid of a few out of my front yard. He said sure. He delivered 100 to me and I did just what Jan said, sell them.

I didn't get rid of all 100, I have about 40 left, but those 60 brought in around $300, which I split with our friend who supplied them. And I sold them per pumpkin, not by the pound which made them much more reasonable than the retail outlets and farmer's markets in the area.

Now, what am I going to do with 40 pumkins? I have started baking them like Dawn from LA suggested. That's the only way I've ever known to cook pumpkin. These pumpkins are the orange jack-o-lantern type pumpkins, but they do make a good pie, too. I did try cooking some on top of the stove so I could get more done at one time. I did not peel mine, I prepared them the same as for baking except that I cut into smaller pieces so that they would fit into my canner and then peeled them when they were done. That worked just as well.

So to, Arlene, I say pumpkin desserts will be a main stay for you for a while as it will be for me. :o) m-m-m-m-m-m-m good. Thank goodness we all love pumpkin!! Happy baking.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Plethora of Pumpkins Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page