Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Mending Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  10:50:20 AM  Show Profile
I was just wondering, in this age of disposable everything, does anyone else still take the time to mend clothing? I do, and I find it very pleasurable and satisfying to do so... to bring something back to life, so to speak, make it functional again.. My mother taught me to mend... I specifcally remember learning to darn socks back to life... now that can be quite an endeavor... I tend to use old socks as dust rags these days... but back then, a sock revived was a good sock! Simple pleasures.

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  2:01:53 PM  Show Profile
I mend clothes all the time, or resew and improve fit. I do mend socks that I have hand knit, it's a shame not to with all that work going into them. One year we made several old socks into new dolls at holiday time and donated the nicest ones to a hospital.

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  7:20:57 PM  Show Profile
I do still mend. I repair the kids jeans...they get to be for play once they are patched, or I will patch the girls jeans with cute shapes and they really like that. I darn my homemade socks, and some of my favorite storebought socks too. I have taught each of my oldest kids to mend (they are all boys) and sew enough to get by. I always have a basket of mending somewhere waiting for me.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  9:41:48 PM  Show Profile
I don't darn much anymore, however, the memories of this have been on my mind recently. I now have my mother's old red and white darning egg. She mended every evening after supper. I had the same habit when the kids were small. My mother did not teach me to darn. My husband did. He darned his own socks. His mother was a teacher. He taught her everything she taught his sisters. He also used the treadle, does all his own laundry even now, and cooks. After 32 years, he's still a keeper.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  5:25:20 PM  Show Profile
I try to mend my son's pants, sometimes I use the electric machine and "darn" the holes if they aren't too large. Socks I don't bother with, unless they're wool. If my son's pants, esp. the jeans are worn about the bottom and they still fit, I just make them into shorts for him for the summer months.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  9:15:36 PM  Show Profile
My daughter just ripped the back of her pants on fence-climbing yesterday. Mending is one of those things I don't seem to as often as I used to. Maybe the kids are older and not ripping up their stuff as much. I used to "Mend on Wednesday" as the saying goes. I look forward to having something to mend for a change!

I also finally got a sock darner. I used to use an orange or a baseball or something round. We had mostly wool socks in the north country. But in AZ - nah! Does anyone darn those white gym socks or whatever everyone is wearing these days? Those think terry-like things...
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  7:28:31 PM  Show Profile
I mend everything around here. DH is in the Marine Corps, and very hard on his uniform, so they get mended every few weeks or so (he has two sets, and wears them every single day). Usually it is the knees or the seat that requires attention. Knees wear out or tear, so I use the darning stitch on my sewing machine to fix that with a piece of cloth behind. Seams usually pop in the seat area, so that's an easy fix. Miss O isn't old enough yet to be too hard on her clothes, so usually the only mending I do there are repairs rendered necessary by the washing machine (quality just isn't what it used to be...). For myself, I usually am altering clothing. My mom buys me a lot of things at second hand shops, and I usually take things in a bit, or let hems out.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  11:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I tend to "remake" rather than mend, my new favorite is thrift shop overalls for the girls, adding ruffles around the hems and one at the midsection, with an applique on the pocket. They love them!I do mend things with a popped seams, and like Clare save the socks for dusting or garage rags.
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  07:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I'm still recovering from my "throw away" mentality :( so I can't say that I've done a lot of mending. But I am continually inspired by all of you and I'm certainly looking for ways to use it up/wear it out/mend/make do, etc.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm having a hard time mending DH's carharts. Two pairs, each have a hole in the knee. The fabric is so tough to work with and I'm trying to a nice job and not make it such an obvious patch. I saw this patch idea in Marta Stewart and tried and didn't succeed so I put that project away and now I should really fix that fix. Any suggestion on to just do a plain knee patch? Because of the Marta idea the hole is now square shape. I could just put a patch over it and call it done. Is there some offical way of patching knees that I don't about??

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  03:13:43 AM  Show Profile
I haven't mended carharts for about 2 years. I don't think there is any best way to do it, I do try to cover the whole weakened area, have had too many tear out right away. Last time I opened up the side seam and separated the lining from the canvas and cut out the bad canvas and sewn in new and closed up the seam, another time I removed the whole front of the leg to about thigh high and put in a new piece.
Zippers seam to be the mending of late.
Currently doing a jacket for a co-worker in his company jacket.
I really need to be able to say NO, but it's hard, and he does do painting for me which I pay for.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  08:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Karen, I have to take you to task. Your mending is a skill exactly the same as your co-workers painting is a skill. Don't devalue your skill by giving it away for free. He isn't going to paint for free and you shouldn't mend for nothing. This is why women still don't make as much as their male counterparts. It doesn't have to be money but and it doesn't have to a "war of the sexes" thing but just next time if you don't say no then at least say sure but that will be $5. or $5. credit toward my next painting job and don't forget about it.

Believe me your skills are worth it!!!

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  3:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy,
I told him he'd have to pay for the zipper and we will barter for my services.
Thanks for your concern though, I have banked welding services already from another guy I work with.
Another one gets me tallow in exchange for a couple bars of soap.
We have quite a network going at work.
Meaning I do this for this person, and they barter services with someone else for me whatever I need or want. Works pretty good, I have only been stiffed once and now no one else will barter with him either.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  4:20:34 PM  Show Profile
After several years, I have gotten a reputation at my husband's work of being the mender/tailor. Apparently I am the only wife in his entire unit that sews (or sews well, at least). At first I would just sew on patches for the guys I knew as a favor (it usually took me about 5 minutes a piece), but suddenly DH was bringing home multiple sets of uniforms for guys I didn't even know. Now I am charging money (still pretty cheap... favor prices, you might say) but I still get just as many "jobs." I barter when I can. One couple brings us dessert and gallons of milk. Last week I altered a formal gown for a gal who is pregnant, and some time this week one of the Sgts is bringing over some slacks to be altered.

Our Marine Corps Ball is coming up, so I expect I'll get a few last minute things too, when the guys put on their dress blues three days before and discover, "Oh, crumb! [dramatization... Marines would not be caught using the word crumb in place of an expletive. Please use your wildest and most colorful imagination...] I've gained 15 pounds since last year's MC Ball. I can't button my blouse."

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  10:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Annie, I did that for years, especially when we were stationed overseas!I was the only wife who could run a sewing machine too evidently. Sewing has always been such a big part of my life I always found that funny.
I remember one year, I topstitched a seam down the front of his fatigues where they iron them, so his would always look crisply ironed,and then all the other guys had me do it, and then the 1st Sargeant had a look and banned it, so I had to take them ALL out. Thanks for bringing back funny memories.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  11:22:18 AM  Show Profile
LOL! We thought about doing that (the permanent press seam) but on cammies it is not regulation (dress trousers are okay). But now, guess what--the new cammies are PERMANENT PRESS!!! I have not ironed them ONE SINGLE TIME since he got them. The downside to the new cammies is the fabric is not quite as durable, but I'll take mending every few weeks over starching and ironing EVERY NIGHT. Now that I am getting more into tailoring and alterations, the one thing that always impresses me is how well made DH's uniforms are. This is still one place in society that believes in traditional quality for men's garments.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  11:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I have noticed the new cammie fabric is alot thinnen, but hubby liked that..cooler.What I wouldn't have given for perma press. How many hours did I spend with a hot iron and a can of starch.This will really date me..and my husband..we are talking the old solid green green uniforms (Air Force). Yuk. Hated those things.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  7:11:30 PM  Show Profile
i don't do much 'mending' .. don't get many rips or tears in my clothes .. and if i do .. it's probably 'jeans' .. and since i've paid a hundred bucks for 'designer ripped jeans' .. it just doesn't tend to bother me if i rip them myself. i've added 'funky' patches to jean skirts that didn't even have a rip! frannie

gonna' go check out the Carhartt sites .. we had some construction guys come here the other day and i loved their overalls .. told me they were Carhartt's .. first time i'd head of that brand!
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  7:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Yup, I do mending if it's not going to detract from the item. I can't stand holes when it comes to socks. If they are store bought I usually put then in the rag bag but if they're hand knit I will mend them.
Go to Top of Page

mrobin
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  2:33:45 PM  Show Profile
I have several men's shirts that have a hole right by the corner of the front pocket. What is the best way to mend these? I do not have a machine. What about a patch? Are there iron on patches that would work OK? I would appreciate any tips.

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  3:09:50 PM  Show Profile
mrobin - have you had a chance to look at my mom's book (MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook)? Starting on page 208, there are lots of mending tips!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  05:21:43 AM  Show Profile
Mrobin - If the hole is small, you can mend it from the inside of the shirt right at the pocket corner. The pocket will help hide your mend. Use the same color thread as the shirt, obviously, and make very small stitches, not pulled tight.

I mend a lot, and my daughter's sorority sisters found that out a few years back. If I hemmed one evening dress, I must have hemmed fifty! It was fun to work on all the pretty dresses and see the girls in them when I pinned them up. I also adjusted straps....spaghetti straps are always too long!

Right now I have one long white cotton nightgown with holes that I need to repair. It has been in the bleach too often. My hubby kids me about them....my problem is, I tend to put off mending even though I enjoy it!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  08:51:35 AM  Show Profile
I mend my overalls that have become thin and worn in the crotch area, and DH's $15.00 designer Wal-Mart jeans. I love mending clothes, but sometimes I use those iron on patches for the knees on DH's jeans.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  1:19:38 PM  Show Profile
I love to mend..but put it off for some reason too..I think I am just easily distracted!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  7:58:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mrobin

I have several men's shirts that have a hole right by the corner of the front pocket. What is the best way to mend these? I do not have a machine. What about a patch? Are there iron on patches that would work OK? I would appreciate any tips.

You can use a small fusable patch but also reinforce it with stitching. My dads shirts used to tear there because of him always reaching into his pocket for cigarettes.

Edited by - Susie Q on Nov 09 2005 8:01:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  9:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Susie Q- thats what I do with Hals Jeans, he always yanks his belt loops off with his belt to the point that they have holes and tears out of the base seam and surrounding fabric. so I just cut up the iron on patches and stick them on the back over the hole, then I sew into the patch to reattatch the beltloops.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Mending Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page