Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Wooden Spooled Thread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wooden Spooled Thread Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  10:43:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls! I took a stroll through Goodwill last night looking for some more yarn to send to the Boys Who Crochet at the Northwest Children's Home in Idaho (found lots!)..... and while browsing, I came across someone's old collection of thread on wooden spools, many of which are stamped with the orginial price of 9 cents! They are classic and I would like to display them in some manner, but so far have not come up with any creative ideas. There are about 30 spools, both small and large. Does anyone have any juicy ideas for me? Thanks much!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

Edited by - Clare on Jul 20 2004 10:53:31 AM

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  11:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clare, I took several wooden spools out of my mother's sewing box about 20 years ago and have them sitting on a shelf with many other little treasures.

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  8:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Clare,
Do you have a small vintage round basket like a sewing basket (small weave)? A piece of vintage fabric, an old thimble, pair of scissors or pincushion, along with your "new" collection would look nice nestled together on a shelf or table somewhere.

I still use my thread on wooden spools! I am not kidding, I use thread so slowly I have wooden spools in my sewing box that I took from my mom's house when I left home. No telling how long she had them before me. Maybe I should stop using it up!

By the way, it is nice that you provide yarn for a good cause.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  10:21:33 PM  Show Profile
I have some old wooden spooled thread from my grandma too. And some an elderly lady gave me in a plastic icky sewing box a long time ago. I love the idea for displaying that jpbluesky gave! I will have to do THAT!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2004 :  7:57:50 PM  Show Profile
There are some great wooden pegged spool holders you can put on a wall so the end of the spool can be seen. You can also see the color of the thread so both the thread and the vintage labels would show. You can get plastic ones at fabric stores, but some places might carry wooden ones.
Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  1:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
What if you put them in a shadow box type of arrangement?

Or, and this is my personal favorite, string them together and use them along a wall, or in a window -- more as a decorating accessory than as simply a display.

Just some random thoughts on a cloudy (and cool!) Sunday afternoon, when the idea of a nap is sounding better and better.

pj

Paula J.
northeastern Oklahoma
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  3:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls, My mom has the heirloom sewing basket still, so will have to wait on that idea. A shadow box might work real well and the pegs are a possibility. The funky idea that I thought up was to open up an old wire hanger and put the spools there, all around, close it back up and hang it on the wall as a display piece. It would sure be different! I just finished my nap on a very hot day here. Naps are underrated!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

Edited by - Clare on Jul 25 2004 3:23:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  8:06:10 PM  Show Profile
I like the hanger idea~~ I have a large laundry room and have it decorated with antique washboards and tin laundry soap advertising signs on the walls (which are painted BRIGHT yellow...thought I would hate that when I moved in, but it is actually uplifting!) I have my sewing machine out there too and I want to make it even more "my place". I should try a decoration with my wooden spooled threads too.
I had a nap here today too. I don't usually find time for a nap. What a treat!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  12:54:08 PM  Show Profile
You could string them like popcorn, then hang them like a garland above your sewing area, from the corner of a mirror, etc.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  2:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Bet they'd look great as ornaments on a tabletop Christmas tree.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  2:18:02 PM  Show Profile
I ended up putting some through a wire hanger and reclosing it up. It hangs on my wall. All the spools of thread on it are pink toned and it looks kinda nice. I recently got a peg board type at a thrift shop, which I'm going to fill with thread. Maybe I'll just have a thread wall!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  3:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare,
I put some of my old wood thread spools in a blue quart canning jar on the shelf above my sewing machine.
Just a thought
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  10:23:33 PM  Show Profile
I have all of my Old Spools n old neat jars. Candy, Tobacco and Canning jars . They look great in the jars

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  08:26:51 AM  Show Profile
I wrap embroidery thread around my old wooden spools. You can put all of the colors you are using for a current project in a jar and enjoy looking at them and handling them too!

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  7:13:33 PM  Show Profile

glad that i found this thread! I learned to drop spindle silk on a high whorl spindle and it makes some awesome silk thread. I found some wooden spools at an auction and have begun to load them with the hanspun thread. Now I want to find a pegged spool holder that will hang on the wall. GREAT ideas!!!
AND if anyone has ever played with drop spindleing, let me tell you that a high whorl practically spins itself and especially if you have a silk 'hankie' or'cap'. You will amaze yourself and have wonderful thread to finish off some of your wonderful efforts!!
Jenny Louise
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  9:28:30 PM  Show Profile
I drop spindle and love it. It is relaxing for me. Where do you get the silk to spin?

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  5:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Julia, I haven't been on in a while, so I didn't answer you. I usually find the silk at one of the fiber shows i attend every fall. There are probably some available on ebay as well. They are wonderful when dyed. I always buy different colors because I don't dye myself. Good luck, and i am glad that you spindle. It is wonderful that these 'lost arts' are being learned by wonderful women all over this country! Pass it along... Jenny Louise
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  6:51:54 PM  Show Profile
I was given alot of my mothers and grandmothers old spools of thread on wooden spools, I have them in LARGE gallon jars, I like the looks of them
also have large canning jars with buttons, old sewing notions etc.
I just like seeing them as I sew.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2005 :  05:37:02 AM  Show Profile
i have a 'sewie' christmas tree in my sewing room each year .. fill it full of 'sewies' .. like wooden spools with homespun strips run through it .. (doubled) .. knot at the bottom so the spool doesn't fall off ... (you can color coordinate the 'theme' tree .... i use vintage homespun fabrics) ... then hang them on the tree with the loop ... hang little needle and pin packets .. small pin cushions .. .and hand-made ones ... from vintage quilt pieces .. you can make 'garland' from homespun too ... make olde button clusters to hang too .. there are "sew" many sewing items to hang .. and if your tree is a 'table top' .. you can put sewing items under it too (like children's vintage sewing machine .. 'make-do' pin-cushions .. the ideas are endless. frannie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2005 :  05:39:37 AM  Show Profile
make a 'fashion statement' ... create a wooden 'necklace' with your wooden spools ... space them and tie knots in your 'homespun strips or raffia or jute twine ... cording of choice.

coordinate your 'outfit' with embroidered patches sewn onto your jeans or jacket with a 'sewing' theme.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2005 :  05:42:20 AM  Show Profile
olde wooden thread spools: create a 'valance' on 'wire' threaded with spools and olde buttons ... hang it over the top of the curtain valance .. or just at the top of your bare window ... or draped over a mirror in your sewing troom.

(i have a string of wire stars hung over a 'twig' valance ... with the wire 'bent' in various directions so it, resembles a 'vine' over the top of two of my windows.
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2005 :  07:46:10 AM  Show Profile
I find 1-1/2 quart or half gallaon jars at estate sales and fill them with things like spools and other odds and ends in them. You can see the ends and the thread that way.

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wooden Spooled Thread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page