Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Becoming a farmer Next Topic  

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  08:16:16 AM  Show Profile
So, we've got our little dream of getting our bit of earth, maybe even making a living off it. But how do you learn to become a farmer? Like actually DO the farming? I'm only an "advanced beginner" gardener! And all the business parts of it, and financing equipment,etc. There's gotta be a way, but I don't see too many farming classes out there. Any ideas?

Farmgirl Sister #138

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  09:28:52 AM  Show Profile
Got to stores like Tractor Supply and look in the magazine section....you'll find lots of good books and magazines to get you started!

Kim

" Life's A Garden- Dig It! " Joe Dirt
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  10:39:56 AM  Show Profile
One good way to see if it's for you would be to work or help out on a farm, sort of an apprenticeship if you will. I've been seeing ads in our paper for farm laborers lately. The county extension office has a lot of information too. Also talking with people who have farms can provide a wealth of information, to see what they have been through.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  11:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Emme,
Hey were you are... if you arent already involved with farm walks thorugh Washington State tilth
www.tilthproducers.org).... Do that.. also, volunteer with the local farmers market - the stuff you learn is amazing...also rural roots web site (www.ruralroots.org) will show some courses they have as does WSU's cultivating suucess...(www.cultivatingsuccess.org)... I have a ton of these sites.. but this is a good start.. you may already have these.. Good Luck...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  7:59:56 PM  Show Profile
I sure wish this site was available when I moved to my husband's family's farm nearly 20yrs ago. (Oh my GOSH!!! Has it been THAT long? YIKES!) All of you ladies have some GREAT advice here. (Rene'-- I wrote down the web addresses you suggested and will check them out) What I've learned of farming and livestock raising I've pretty much learned by trial and error. (and LOTS of books and from people who've lived the life) There has been a lot of frustration, along with some major triumphs over the years, but trust me when I say farming is not for the faint of heart. In the begining you may have more failures than success', but don't give up. You might actaully find that you really have a knack for some aspects right out of the gate! Other things you may never grasp at all. One lesson I learned VERY quickly is that you MUST have patience. If you know any farmers at all, you will find they seem to all have that one trait in common. After all, you can't bully Mother Nature (or livestock for that matter) into doing things YOUR WAY when YOU WANT IT!!! Good luck to you! Tracy
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  04:16:40 AM  Show Profile
Also check with your local extension agent - they are a wealth of FREE information.

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"John Deere. We stand behind everything we sell. Except the manure spreader."
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  6:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Emme most of us did not come from farming background - heck my background is in Law! I have learned never and I mean never feel shy to ask questions - those of us who have learned the hard way wished someone would have told us....Like when 3 tons of hay fell on me, who know that there was a certain way to stack hay? Next, before deciding to purchase equipment, animals or such, do your homework. There are tons of good books, great folks and do not forget your gut feeling. We have all gotten caught up in the cute factor, the will make life so easy factor or it is what everyone is doing. I tell folks when they come to my farm to learn skills is to always give yourself time to really think it thru. If someone tells you they have several folks wanting an animal or this tractor is going to be gone by the afternoon then let is go. I always tell my kids and students - follow the money. If someone is trying to get you to do something it is because most times they have a money interest in it.

Last is remember this site will help you with just about anything. Ask us - you can hear a wide range of ideas, knowledge and funny stories..... we are here to help

Good luck and happy farming

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  8:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Emme - I did grow up on a farm, and I am still learning new and exciting things.. New ways of doing things.... for every farmer it seems there is a variation of how you can do something.... I am confident, that in no time you will find the "emme" way.... I sometimes think the best way is to jummp on in - mistakes are sometimes the best teacher :), I look forward in hearing about your many successes!!!!!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  8:41:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great ideas, links and encouragement! We are just in the dreaming phase right now. But things are definitely coming together right now so that we can start making definite plans. I think at this point we're just wanting to become as self sufficient as possible, along with developing what we affectionately call the "150 year plan" for our family. We really want to build a legacy to leave for our children and grandchildren that they will be able to depend on. With all the changes we feel are on the horizon for our culture, we think leaving them with the skills and land to live self sufficiently will be extremely important. We have a lot to learn before we jump in, but with all the resources out there and my farmgirl-friends, we can do it!

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  06:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Emme - I know I'm jumping in here a little late, but I may have some ideas. My dh & I took a Master Cattle Producers program through LSU, and we are now both Master Farmers and Master Cattle Producers.(Now I have to work on my Master Poultry!) There is also a program I've read about called Annie's Project. You can look it up on the Internet. Several Agriculture departments of state colleges offer it. It is geared for women in farming, and looks as if it goes from A to Z, and includes business issues, planting, and many other farming issues. If you don't see it offered, contact your extension agency, and ask them about the potential to offer such a program. I asked Donnie, our LSU / Extension contact, and he's real interested in finding out more about it. Plus, they are looking for other farming related topics so they can offer more of that type of thing around here. Good luck. I hope this helps!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  10:24:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey Em,
tho I don't plan to be a "farmer" I do plan to plant an orchard as well as (maybe a pick your own) Lavender field... all Organic of course!
I find the internet an awesome source as well as chatting w/the local farmers up here in Spokane...but one thing I am finding is that they all have a different spin on gardening/farming around here. But I guess when it gets right down to it, trial & error is the way to learn, while gleaning info along the way.
Have fun in your venture as I know I will.
Hugz to Naty & Taylor

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
www.katmom44.blinkz.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  11:54:52 AM  Show Profile
Paul and I have been actually tilling up our city back yard and planting things in it..we are also raising a few laying hens.
Paul and I were talking the other day about..why wait to learn how to live off of the land until you get the land?? why not learn what you can where you are??
So..we have the following things growing on our city lot and Paul has tilled up about 20 more feet of ground just yesterday to add more.
Anyhow we have okra,corn,zucchini,crookneck,bell pepper,tomatoes,purple potatoes,sweet potaoes,watermelon,broccoli,lettuce,hot pepper,sugar snap and snow peas,spinach,carrots,green beans,cow peas,2 blueberry trees,25 raspberries,about 6 thorn less blackberry..a large pear tree full of pears, a small pear tree to provide cross pollination,a grape vine,a small navel orange tree, and a small myer lemon tree.
Then we ripped out our back deck and converted it into 4 tiny raised beds wth a small walkway in the middle and have planted it with herbs: dill,lemon balm,lemon thyme,basil,mint,stevia,parsley.
We also have the 2 hens which should start laying real soon. a pet duckling female..which will lay eggs in about 6 months...and I'm off to the feed store to trade 2 bantam baby roosters back in for hopefully some baby hens.
So..if you want to learn how to live off the land..just go for it!..that's we are doing! that way when we are able to get our land we'll know how to grow our own food and it won't be a culture shock of sorts.
Good luck to you!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  12:01:44 PM  Show Profile
Tina, that's a great sentiment...Justin and I have been thinking the same thing. While we have a cottage, we live in an old subdivision with large acre lots...so why not utilize it, and our neighbors are so envious. The rain barrel project? Gosh, they all came over to look and ask questions...it was like we were celebrities! The raised beds were our first attempt to see if we could "do it"--both grow and harvest and sustain. And we can, so now we're thinking of ripping out the lower portions for more garden beds and of course, the bees that will come next Spring. We are in the process of naturalizing for native species and removing invasive species that have overtaken our wooded areas. It seems the more we accomplish, the more I know is possible....I surely wish we could have laying hens though...I honestly don't know that we can't (neighbors used to years ago) but the regulatory issues always change. That's something we talk about having, though.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  12:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Tina, that sounds awesome! We do have a decent size garden, and some chickens, but I guess I still feel like such a beginner. We're in our 4th year of gardening, and well, its been a little hit and miss with the success rate! We'll keep at it, and doing our best with what we have like you say. Thanks guys!

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  6:50:31 PM  Show Profile
I really understand how you feel - I married a guy who inherited an orchard, and has no interest whatever in managing it to grow apples. He calls it the "play place" where he gets to ride on his tractors and four-wheelers!

I grew up on a farm, but it was corn/wheat/oats/soybeans/alfalfa, so I don't know anything at all about orchards, although I am trying to learn as much as I can through the internet and also am taking a Master Gardener program through my local extension office. I bought some grafting tools from A.M Leonard and I am practicing my grafting skills (I'm not very good yet....)

Sometimes I think I should just go apprentice myself to a "real" orchard for a year or more to see what they do and how they manage. Like you, I am still in the dreaming stage as we really can't hope to do a REAL farming experience until we retire, the farm is just too many miles away.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  6:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Well to add my 2cents. I grew up in Wheat Country ( as did my hubby) we are now in the Yakima Valley where fruit abounds.. and I have learned a lot and even have a couple apricot trees, a cherry tree, an almond tree and some grapes... But I still prefer Wheat Country!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile
If you are interested in how to finance equipment, do you have Farm Credit Services offices in your area? I got my very first loan from them, it was called Production Credit then (it was actually a car loan...), my dad was a good customer of theirs.

They may have information on line, you could look at their site without actually committing to a loan or anything. Their web site is http://www.fcsamerica.com/

Although in today's economy, it might pay to do as much as you can without taking out a loan.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on May 10 2008 6:33:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  08:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Peanut this is probably the dumbest question on the board, but what is the local extension agent? Thank you!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  10:24:03 AM  Show Profile
Carol....no dumb questions here unless they're asked by me but years ago I did not know what a "local extension agent" was either but they are GREAT! You can find them in your phone book under County Extension Agents or look for your county name and then it will list the different agencies...extension being one of them. You can ask them questions about animals, gardening, first and last frost dates in your area and much, much more! They are a wealth of information and they are the ones that host the Master Gardening programs and 4-H programs plus they have classes sometimes and pamphlets galore on all kinds of topics. I'm always calling mine to check on what's going on and you can volunteer to help out. Last year I helped judge the 4-H garden plots and I am a Master Gardener but these kids put me to shame!
I hope that helps and don't ever be afraid to ask...we're here to help each other....I feel good having an answer for someone occasionally! LOL!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  7:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hey Sandra!! Thank you so much - after I read your post I went online and the local extension agent office is only about half a mile from my house!!!! I am definitely going over there tomorrow. I have an "urban" farm - it's not a real farm. I live in the suburbs but my home has a farmgirl look and feel to it. And I do have a little garden. But I can't wait - I am going to get everything I can get over there that's free and maybe even volunteer. Thank you!!!! I'd love to be involved in 4-H. I never got to do that when I was young. And thank you for your kind note - I have met the nicest women on here and yes, you gave me a great answer!!! Thanks again.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  1:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Emme, I'm late but better late than never. Most counties in Washington state have not only the WSU Cooperative Extension office (Prosserfarmgirl mentioned this) but as well as the USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA). This is a very helpful office to start out with. For one, they can help you connect with other local breeders of livestock who might take you under their "wing" and crop producers that interest you as well. They also keep up on animal disease outbreaks, government ag programs, etc. They even give loans for ag related things! Western WA has a great line-up of courses, classes, farm tours through the links you've been given so far. I have been to a few, one in Snohomish was all about writing a farm business plan and was very helpful. Most are free to attend and include a meal and all of the educational resources (books, etc.) and you get the chance to network with other people who have "been there and done that" and those like you who are "getting there." I find belonging to breed associations and grower associations very helpful for education and resources and having a network of fellow producers to lean on as well. Have fun on your journey.
Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  09:20:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi All

Just found this thread...wish I had found it months and months ago. Thank you for the different perspectives and sharing experiences. We are definitely in the novice stage and learning as we go. We have done a lot of research and reading on top of our suburban garden experience and we have just jumped into this thing. It is hard work and takes up all our time but we can't see doing anything else. We love where we are. Thank you for the links and I would like to share a resource that we have found invaluable. ACRES USA is an organization unaffiliated with any government agencey and so have alternative viewpoints on the small farm movement. They have been around for decades and have followed, documented and analyed the trends in farming in the US. They have a great website, resource lists and books and the most wonderful and informative annual conference that this past year was held in Louisville. I don't know where it is this year but if it is anywhere near you it is a must attend.

My interest is in developing the wool fiber end of the farm. I would love to hear more about others experiences with sheep and other fiber animals. Can you advise on that part of the business?

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  8:22:33 PM  Show Profile
hello all, dh and I are looking at properties now. We are Very excited, our dream is right around the corner. I had posted in another place but was wondering if anyone here has a U=pick berry farm??? I was wondering if there was much of a profit at the end of the day? I have priced out just about everything ahead of time...farming is not cheap to do. Just hoping I can clear enough to pay the bills and buy toothpaste and toilet paper???

http://homemakerkate2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  8:49:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kate

I'm new at farming too so I hesitate to give advice but I can share my experience so far. My plan has been not to have a mortgage and have money saved to live on for a couple of years or have an alternate source of some income. And of course to minimize debt as much as possible. This is my first year at mini farming and sheep raising and I do not expect to have anything resembling a profit. What i do hope is to learn methods to work efficiently and find outlets, markets for my products locally. I now by cheap tooth paste and toilet paper!

i would also love to hear other's experiences and strategies in all areas of farming.

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  09:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Emme.....trial and error has always been my way.....don't be afraid to try anything. Nine times out of ten it works out ok!!

Visit my blog at: www.sewonandsewfourth.blogspot.com
Visit our farm at: www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Aprons and other fun things for sale at: www.honeybeez.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Becoming a farmer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page