Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Putting Bagel to Sleep Tomorrow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Putting Bagel to Sleep Tomorrow Next Topic
Page: of 3

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  4:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, Reading the last few posts I was bawling. Then I read your last line about that Mafia movie and I busted out laughing. It was so unexpected. I know these wonderful posts from all of these compassionate farmgirls are comforting you.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  6:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Jeanette - when I had lost my first mini horse I was appalled the way they came to take him away - no tarp, no dignity - they hooked a hook on him and dragged him to the back of a big truck and just hoisted him up there - it was undignified and for the price they charged it was disgusting. When I asked what they do with them - you know we all heard as a kid that they go to the glue factory - he told me they are grinded down to make fertilizer. Well, when I lost my horse Buddy - I was not about to let that happen - we took him on a tarp to move him and as sad as it was, I could not help but see the humor in two people trying to find a place in the woods to dig this giantic hole - deep enough for him - it was getting dark out and we were had a flashlight and I was so afraid someone would see through the woods and think we were burying a body - If it were not for my sense of humor, I do not think I would be here. I am glad I have broken through some of my sadness to smile.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  8:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Now Bagel would be happy to know that you can smile through your tears! Can I give you all ANOTHER smile? While Bagel and all our dog (and other animal) buddies are up there romping around in heaven, I got to help bring a tiny puppy INTO this world today.

My friend called while I was posting my replies on this site and said her pregnant lab was acting funny. I told her she was probably getting ready to have her puppies. Sure enough, she called me back a short while later and said she'd had ONE puppy and that I needed to get over to her house right away!!! When I got there, there were THREE gorgeous puppies! Two beautiful golden boys and a lovely white little girl.

Anxiously, and in great AWE we watched as each tiny little pup was born. About the 6th one, I noticed something wasn't quite right. The puppy seemed to be gasping for breath and I told my friend that it looked like it was in trouble. It was only part way out and the cord was not visible. This was my friend's first eperience with puppies, so it was up to me. The mama dog looked at me with those big brown eyes asking for help, so what else could I do but reach out and give those tiny paws a tug!

Needless to say, Mama and babies are all doing well. Each and every one is beautiful and healthy and surprisingly HEAVY for such tiny things! Mom certainly didn't miss a meal! (he..he...he!) And for a first time mother she did an EXCELLENT job!!! ~~Tracy
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  05:52:21 AM  Show Profile
Well Tracy - all I can say is maybe you just reincarnated one of our dogs into that new puppies life - I adore puppies and eachone is a miracle. I love watching them as they pad their raspberry colored paws at their moms belly as they nurse with such gusto. Give every puppy a kiss from me and I pray they will all have good health and long long lives.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  08:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Thought about you, Kathy and Bonnie (Beemoosie) on Saturday when I was going through drawers and cleaning up. I ran across 4 sympathy cards folks had given me when I had to put Lil' to sleep. I started crying all over again reading them, and thought about how you both are feeling, still. I recall moving through my day like I was some sort of a phantom of myself. Going to work with my mind wandering and dreading the walk through the front door at home. I know that these days will fill you with memories like no other, and write them down, journal, whatever it takes to work through them and keep them. These memories are, apparently, just under our surface, even after several years.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  10:16:56 AM  Show Profile
Trust me Kathy, I plan on visiting those puppies often. So often in fact, that my friend is probably going to get SICK of looking at me!!

But then, my lambs and my kids will be coming soon, so I might not have so much time to fawn over the puppies. Especially with the goat kids here. They are like JUMPING BEANS and are forever into some kind of mischief!

It's been two years since I bred the goats, and then, only two doe's had babies (3 kids between them) This year, I bred EIGHT does, and one of them is already HUGE, (with at least a month or more still to go) so I'm going to have my hands full! Wish me luck ladies, I'm going to need it if I'm going to get through birthing season with all my hair still attached! (he..he...he!)

Oh, and I will have more GLORIOUS tales of "Eli the Maremma." I think YOU would appreciate his stories Kathy. I mean, how often do you hear of a HUGE 120lb+ ball of snow white fur adopting a 6lb lamb or a 2-4lb kid? Quite and amazing tale that repeats itself every single year here on our farm. Hugs and smiles! ~~Tracy
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  10:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Jonni - I know when i lost June you sent me a sympathy card that I still have. I feel the pain lessen a bit. Tomorrow I have to take my calico for a check up, she is wheezing and they called me today to tell me that Bagel's remains are back already so I will pick him up - I am sure I will be crying again.
Tracy, you will have little time to breath but it will be worth every little bahhhhh mahhhhhhh you hear! I raised my Nubian from a few days old and it was as close as I ever came to having a real baby, and you are right about the mischief they get in to - I will have to post some pictures of Billy Bahh Bahh when he was a baby. He is now taller than me and about 10 times stronger.
Well gals, it is off to the dog groomer with Charlee the cocker spaniel - the one I almost lost some time back, she is my smallest cocker - and she has a head of her own.
Love you

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  11:30:18 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to see the pictures of your goat Kathy, AND your "Charlee!" If I can ever figure out how to post pictures on this darn computer, I would probably clog the system with them!! We, or rather "I," have so many animals it's not even funny. But none of them lack for hugs or kisses--- or COOKIES!!!

In fact, some of them (me included!) need to be put on a serious diet! My mare looks like she's about to explode! My older boys (ages 18 & 16 1/2) think it's funny how fat she's gotten. NOT ME!!!

They got a serious scolding when I found that they had shoved all the "leftovers" from last years hay (about 100-200 bales worth!) out the back barn door where miss "PIGGY" could have a free-for-all food fest! They should have put the hay where the old mares are, as they can always gain a few extra pounds, but instead, they fed it to the fatest horse on the farm! I swear that horse was an "Air Fern" in another life, she's that easy to care for! Anyway, HAPPY Grooming! and I'm so glad that you have other fur friends around to keep you smiling! hugs ~~ Tracy

(PS-- I'm looking forward to having goat babies around again! It's been a long time. If I can't POST pictures on the site when they arrive, I can e-mail some to you if you'd like!)
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:13:53 PM  Show Profile
Of course Tracy - send me an email of you and your family of furry ones, I will send you pictures too! I love baby animals :)

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  04:38:48 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your loss. it is never easy. our prayers and thoughts are with you.
morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

www.laubers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  10:46:14 AM  Show Profile
I brought my little Bagel home today, he is in a lovely cedar box with a lock and key- hard to imagine that much love tucked in a box though ....I can see him in my mind's eye running like wild in a place free of pain and care.
Took Emily the nearly hairless cat for an injection today and was able to pick up Bagel. She gets steroid injections every so often. Never figured out why she pulls her hair out but she was starving to death when we rescued her many years ago. She is a pretty calico and quite unique to be sure!

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  09:01:34 AM  Show Profile
You have such a soft heart for animals Kathy!
To me, that's a GOOD thing! I never could trust a person that didn't melt at the sight of an animal in need! GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!
I am there right now giving you a tight sqeeeeeze!!
From one passionate critter lover to another ~~~ Tracy
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  5:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I have to second shepardgirl, I know that if we should meet we would be fast friends. I love animals, and am truly heartbroken when I hear about any animal suffering. I know Bagel is happy in heaven waiting for you.

Jeanette
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  10:22:38 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,
I cry when I read your last post. I have rescued many dogs and cats. Daisy my 16 year old cat was rescued from a leghold trap. She had to have 1/2 her front leg removed. She has done super well for the past 13 years. The past 3 years she has been fighting kidney failure. She made a turn for the worst and we made the decision to put her down. She was suffering to much and we new it was time. We placed her in the ground next to the other 11 pets along a trail on our farm. We call it the trial of tears. All my lovelies are buried there.

I guess we have to remember to have been blessed to have them for a time. They know we did they best for them. Its just so hard to let go and deal with the pain of losing them. I still have 6 dogs and 7 cats. I love them all so dearly.

Take care and prayers are with you.

Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  2:57:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh my God Linda I am so sorry for you. My yard too is like a pet cemetery and that is why I cremate a lot now, and when I die I want to be with them when I die, all be buried together. What type of monster caught her in a trap, that is horrible but she had a good long and happy life with you. So sad to say goodbye. Hugs and love are coming your way....

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Kathy,

I had never thought about cremation. I don't know if my vet offers that service. When I was there this past friday putting Daisy to sleep they wanted to know if I wanted her back or not. Of course I brought my baby home but they never mentioned cremation or any other service. I will have to look into that.
Did they also offer the little casket he was placed into ? Its sounds very nice the way you were able to bring him home. I hope your heart gets better over the next few weeks and the pain lessens.
Big hugs to you. Its good to know there are special people like you in the world. Good luck with Emily........almost sounds like a really bad allergy. Have heard of that problem a few times over the years. I wonder if a low dose of benadryle might help her ??? Just a tiny bit everyday. Just a thought.

take care of yourself
Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  11:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Bagel come home in a nice cedar box with a small lock and two keys - it has a brass name plate with his name on it. My shepherd is also in a cedar box with no name plate from a different crematorium - ask about it at your vet, it is a nice way to keep them with you. I have quite a few here in the house, and my dad also but he is not in cedar he is in slate, and on my bureau, very comforting when I go to sleep at night. Hugs! I love my pets more than anything else in my very life that is for sure.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Putting Bagel to Sleep Tomorrow Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page