Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 care of antique clothes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic care of antique clothes Next Topic  

shepherdwagen
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Susan
Winterset Iowa
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  1:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Send shepherdwagen a Yahoo! Message
I went to an auction last week and landed a few pieces of antique clothing, dating from about the late 19th, early 20th century. There's a man's shirt, a child's romper, a child's underpants, child's pants (knickerbockers!), and about 4 pieces of baby clothing. I want to wash them and perhaps hang them up to display them. My mother and my sister both think I should have them framed, but I don't think that is a good idea.
Any suggestion?

"I've childproofed my house, but they keep getting in."

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  5:41:07 PM  Show Profile
If you do frame them, be sure to use a shadowbox type, so the fabric does not touch the glass. Acid free paper. Best for them to be able to breath, especially in an area where humidity might be a problem. Be sure they are not where direct sunlight or even a lamp will fade/deteriorate the fabric.
Do you have instructions for cleaning them? I can give you some pointers on doing it to not damage the fabrics. Whether or not they look fragile, they likely are and the fabric could disintegrate easily with the wrong care.
Lucky you for such a find.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  6:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just forwarded this topic to my mom. She has a lot of great knowledge about caring for old fabrics!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  7:07:26 PM  Show Profile
Be gentle when cleaning them :) What I've used before at the historic site was a cleaner called Orvus Paste, it's what most textile conservators use. I did a brief look around Google and it looks like some quilt shops carry it.

What a great auction find! Post a picture when you have them all ready to display, I bet they'll look great :)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  08:28:00 AM  Show Profile
I love antique clothing, it is so charming. Meg and Ronna are right about being very gentle and Orvus is the best cleaner if you really do need to clean the items.
Check with a frame shop and make sure they know how to frame unsing archival methods. Your local museum should be able to help you with advice for conservation of the garments. Sunlight and moisture can cause alot of damage.

I worked at a Museum for ten years and the conservationists that we worked with said to do as little cleaning as possible. If the cleaning will cause more harm than good it is best to leave it alone. Some antique fabrics look stable but will fall apart when cleaned.

Evaluate each garment for condition - look for weakness in the cloth and at the seams, fabric type, and try to decide what caused each stain. Not all stains will come out and if they won't cause further deterioration of the garment, some stains should be left alone. That can be part of the charm of an antique.

If you do decide to clean begin by gently brushing the surface with a soft brush to remove any surface dust. You can stretch a piece of panty hose or fine nylon mesh over your vacuum hose and brush the dust into the vacuum hose. If the fabric is strong enough you can use the MESH covered hose to carefully and lightly vacuum the fabric.

Test a seam for bleeding of color with a cotton swab dipped in your water/cleaning solution. Dab with a white cloth and if any color comes off the dye is not stable.

Wash by lining a basin with a white towel or unbleached muslin to support the garment, fill with the correct solution of orvus and cool water, and soak the garment. No twisting or wringing. Change water as necessary until water remains clear. Lift garment out with towel and gently roll to remove water. Lay out on clean towel to dry.

Good luck Sage :)

Farmgirl sister #140
www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com

Edited by - Sage on Apr 25 2008 08:50:28 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic care of antique clothes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page