Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What would you do? Next Topic  

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  12:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I've been gone awhile, don't know if anyone even noticed-not a big deal anyways. Hope everyone is doing well. I've missed chatting with you all. The little squirt is almost 4 months now. I've been working on some new stuff for the shop, it's not up yet, but soon. I hope by the end of the month. Okay, the question- My husband and I want to actually(after4 years) move to the farm, there is a house there, built in 1945. The foundation is sturdy, but it needs some adding on to. Even with adding on, it is not the house I always thought I would live in forever. It seems like such a waste to destroy it. It has such character and they don't build things with that quality anymore. Or do we build new, a house with a floorplan I've always wanted, but more money I'm sure. We don't yet have the estimate on the remodeling of "Grandpa's house". Just was wanting some ideas, opinions, thoughts, etc. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cynthia
www.vintageprairie.blogspot.com

-I'm sure pictures would help, but I don't have any right now.

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  12:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your baby!!!!

That is a tough question. Weigh out the expenses. Guaranteed, if you start putting money, sweat and work into remodeling "Grandpa's house", you might get emotionally attached(speaking from experience). Is there enough land that you could build farther away from Grandpa's house (in the future) and rent it out at that time?
Ann
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  1:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ann,

Well, yes and no. The place is about three and a half sections, but the established homeplace with trees, electricity, water, etc. sits on eighty. We really don't want to rent the house and have someone in our back pocket. Good question, though I think the solution is to live in it or tear it down.

Edited by - sunshine78 on Apr 22 2008 1:11:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  1:21:09 PM  Show Profile
There you are!!! I certainly noticed you were missing. Wow..4 months already...that is a cute age too!
I am all for old houses. Ours has parts (ha!) that are 1895 and then addtions since then. I love the character and details for sure that old houses have..but then I always have. Our house is no dream house for sure yet, but parts of it are now how I want them. You should go with what would make you happiest for sure. I am happy in an old creaky house but not everyone would be.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  1:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I love old houses and the worse the better for me but I like a challenge. I know you will find what is right for you.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  1:31:25 PM  Show Profile
We did miss you and are glad that the little squirt is doing well! It's like the song says "You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need" I don't have my "dream" kitchen but the one I am getting fits my needs and I am beginning to find that I really do love it. I'll be posting about it on my blog later tonight. I think the old place sounds neat and like you said, it has character!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  4:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
As I age, I appreciate "roots", heritage, at a deeper level... and as mentioned old houses have a character that cannot be replicated... there stories are priceless.... I am sure whatever you do will be right for you....Even when the old houses are gone they have a way to stay in the present... example: when I was dating my husband, I went to go visit him.. when I got to the farm, I learned that he was out in the field..His dad told me to go a quarter mile down the road and turn at the Stanley house.... I went a quarter of a mile.. no house.. a little more down the road still no house.. I ended up going back to his dad's to discover the "stanley house" had been gone for 20 years.. but all the locals knew exactly where it was suppose to be >>>>>> :) Anyway...good luck!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  8:23:21 PM  Show Profile
My advice, as someone who moved into a fixer upper with land with a newborn...DO NOT DO IT! Especially if you don't love it. Only consider doing it if you have ALL the money to do the remodel at once, and much preferably to have someone else do the work, not your husband here and there on the weekends, AND only if you don't have to live in it during the remodel. What started out as a one year project for us has turned into 6 years of us in a house I really don't like. It turned into a big big long, drawn out problem. I do think we learned a lot from the process, but I will never "settle" for a house again. I know it sounds kinda harsh, but having been there, done that...RUN, RUN from the ongoing remodel!

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hey Cynthia,
Why not renovate the existing house and add onto the floor plan to include your dream space? It would be the best of both worlds and perhaps cost a lot less than tearing the whole house down and starting from scratch.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile
After living in our 4th fixer in 8 years (step buying), I hope to never do this again. On the other hand to live on a farm where you have a little escape from construction would be great.

I agree with some of the ladies, living in the midsest of construction especially with a wee one is challenge and not recommended.

Is the house livable? Do you have the funds to remodel before you move in? The charm of an older house mixed with modern can be fun too.

Generally, it is less expensive as far as permits to add on/remodel then to build ground up. Then there are other considerations of code updates too.

Weigh out the options, time money etc.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  10:10:09 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your great comments! I appreciate every single one of them. Fortunately we don't have to live in the mess if we fix up the house. My dad is a semi-retired contractor, so I know we have help and that it will get done right. This is too big of a project for him to do so we have to hire a main contractor. We are still waiting on the estimate, the contractor said this weekend he'd have a number for us. Either way we go, I'm just excited to get out of this house and this town.

Cynthia
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What would you do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page