Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 All this talk of the environment and high...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic All this talk of the environment and high... Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  05:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I have to jump in here. Gas prices are bad here, as they are where all you live as well, but I'm one of the SUV gals, I'll admit. We did some shopping around after #5 was born, though, and we came to the best decision we could. We needed something that could carry our growing family, was SAFE and reliable, had room to carry groceries, or our camping gear, and could haul the trailer.

I get about 12 MPG which is bad for the environment and my wallet, BUT I try to offset it by only buying 2 tanks of gas/ month (also limits impulse shopping, or going out on a whim). Also, when we are not all together and we don't need all the seats, I try to use DH's Volvo (26 MPG, not the best, but better!).

So, judge not the SUV mama--there just might be a 'True Blue Farmgirl' behind the wheel. :)

Sidenote: I would never allow my kids to have their own TV. Let alone replace one they broke on purpose!!! Yikes! Send these kids outside to play!!!

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  07:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Molly- I hope I didn't come off as SUV's are the problem. I have a problem with the people who have it all- the huge house, the huge SUV (more about vainity than need), the constant consumption. That is where I have the problem. You are aware of what you are doing and your SUV is a necessity.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  07:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

What a great conversation!

I agree wholeheartedly that the USA is one wonderful place to live. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. It truly is home and I personally feel there are more good people in the country than there are bad.

Stephanie- I considered buying a PT Cruiser when my car got destroyed. They aren't the worst on gas mileage by far and they let you haul quite a bit whether it be kids or cargo!

Molly- After having five kids I think it would be silly for you to have a little "eco" car! How many trips would you have to make just to get everyone to the same place! I think that every vehicle has it's place and it sure sounds like you get the work out of yours! And you are so right- we shouldn't judge people on what they drive. I was more thinking of the "Rock Stars" that you see on TV That have HUGE SUV'S and just blatantly toss money around on all sorts of frivolous things. It frustrates me to see that much waste when there are other things that money could go to and help others- but at the same time I shouldn't judge those people either as they earned the money and in as much as they did- they earned the right to decide how to spend it!

What frustrates me is blatant abuse of objects like that girl who broke the TV to get a new one.

I didn't even have a TV in my room until I was a junior or senior in high school and even then it was the oldest TV in the house. And honestly, I hardly watched it! Sometimes I would put on my favorite movie while I was doing my homework but that was about it.

Doug and I have talked about this so much because, as you all know, I have a one year old daughter. We really don't want her to be so focused on what she wants, but rather for her to be satisfied with what she has and be happy (I mean really happy) if we decide to get her more that what she really needs and a few fun things.

I think one of the
best
things that we can possibly do is to lead by example. For instance:

I told my mom and sister about the homemade laundry detergent about a year ago. I explained about the fillers and nasty chemicals and how bad is for the environment, let alone how bad for your budget when in contrast you can make your own that is more effective for pennies a load. Since then they have been converted and I don't think either would ever go back.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  5:43:13 PM  Show Profile
oh lordy .. i love lively discussions from the heart .. when ALL that is said is done with a loving heart. nothing wrong with anyone's opinion about anything as far as i'm concerned .. as long as it is truly said with 'no malice in mind'.

heather my sweet, friend .. and i doooooooooo truly adore you .. and oh i hope you can hear my heart here ... but let me jus' address the t'other side of your feeling about:

"having a problem with the people who have it all- the huge house, the huge SUV (more about vainity than need), the constant consumption. That is where I have the problem."

how does a genuinely nice person .. who happens to have money (be it worked hard for .. or inherited) ... or as some would say are 'over-paid' .. and i would probably personally lump many very highly paid athletes and 'stars' in this group. But it is WE, the people who pay for the sensational magazines and high prices at movie theatres and concerts .. and sports games .. that support these 'salaries'. AND .. i am not for a moment judging either the athletes or stars .. or we who 'participate' in their BIG MONEY MAKING. ALL of the above people .. the rich and those who pay to help make them rich ... may indeed be genuinely nice people .. despite the fact that they make big bucks or enjoy being specatators and buying tickets.

AND if they doooooooo .. who should decide what it is that they do with their money? We can all certainly think of ways we 'might' spend it if we 'had' it. But .. let's not kid ourselves! If we were TRULY in their place .. would we have a more modest home? Would we drive a smaller, older car? Or would we enjoy the money we had in whatever way we chose? (we all have different value systems .. based in large part on the life we each live). And if we had a ba-jillion dollars and still chose a bungalo and small used car .. that is certainly o.k. .. because it is our choice.

It may .. or may not .. be 'vanity' that drives them. It may just be the fact that they have lots of money to spend and enjoy spending it on the things that they want to. And even if it is VANITY .. it's THEIR money .. THEIR choices of how to spend it.

If you have the 'jingle' in your pocket .. and you have indeed in your own good consciense contributed to the needs of society in the ways you choose to .. be it tithing ten percent of a hundred dollars a week .. or a thousand dollars a week .. or a half-million dollars a week (wowzer .. do the math on THAT one!) OR even choosing to not give to charity at all .. that is a very personal choice and each human will be remembered in how they have lived their lives.

If we each had a few million dollars in the bank .. why not enjoy it however we want ... without upsetting those of us who don't?

Gosh .. maybe, as i often do, i've over-stated my own personal beliefs. (as i believe 'true friends' can do with each other). I just think we need 'tolerance' of all lifestyles .. whether someone comes from the city, the country, the mountains or the seaside. Whether someone is rich or poor. Whether someone drives a VW or a BMW. Whether someone lives in a log cabin in the woods or a 27-room house in the suburbs (i've lived both places .. and driven both of those cars). I WAS and AM the same person .. neither of those choices made me any different. (And i honestly cannot .. and do not .. worry about people who choose to perceive me differently because of my house or car choices at any given time in my life. I can only hope that they see the goodness in me .. REGARDLESS of my 'station' in life.

I believe if we have a 'good heart' that will become self-evident. But it does us no good to get upset at those who are different for whatever reasons we may 'think' they have because of their lifestyle or choices. We'll NEVER know until we've 'walked a mile in their shoes'. And this goes both ways .. for both the wealthy and the poor.

Oh honey, i sure wish we could all gather and have a p.j. party and stay up all night curlin' each other's hair, polishin' our fingernails and solving the world's problems.

i'm one of those people who have had the big house, the big car, and some jingle in my pocket. sweetie, i do not for a moment believe i am 'vain' .. (and i KNOW you weren't talkin' about me here) .. but you see .. your feelings about people like that .. IS me!

i've been rich and i've been poor .. and i swear .. i was the same person in both situations ..i had the same heart!

i know that money and power can make people do strange things .. but SO can being poor.

if we could all just see the positive in each and every person that god put on this earth .. we would be a better and happier 'we'. that is my own personal belief.

now, with that sed .. let this lively conversation continue .. with everyone's viewpoints (said with that loving heart!)

o.k. ... o.k. ... let me know if i should jus' go back and delete all i've said. (truly, i jus' wanted to share my own heart with you all).

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Apr 23 2008 5:47:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  5:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Ms. Frannie, believe me I understand. I don't get offended. (((HUGS)))

Let me clarify, the particular people in the show had all of this but couldn't understand why they didn't have money to pay for things or afford the bills, are in debt and then complain about paying high prices for gas or choosing gas over food. Does that make sense??

I was just appalled at the wastefullness. If they want to spend their money...whether rich poor or otherwise, so be it. Just don't complain when you have it all and have to choose between gas and food and wonder where all the money went. Does that makes sense at all?? Sometimes I wish my brain would type instead of my fingers....

I have been rich too but I think there is being conscious of what you are doing and these people who just consume, consume, consume with no thought until the fun runs out...Oh sheesh!! I stink at trying to make points but believe me, I would invite them all into my home with open arms.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  6:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I adore you Frannie. What you said is exactly how I feel.

And Heather, i admire you for lovingly stating your opinion and being open enough to hear what other have to say.

That's the true Farm girl spirit!

ROCK ON!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  6:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Linda!! Big (((HUGS)))! I truly feel that honesty is the best policy, even if I don't fit with everyone's ideas. Gosh- my family would have a field day with me if they read my posts. Having grown up in a family that closed their ears and hearts to other's opinions made me that much more sensitive to just listening. No one agrees 100% of the time. Can't make everyone happy but that is what I love about MJ's website, you can say it, anyway you want, and their is no blatant bashing or childish behavior. Adults with opinions, feelings, experiences adding to the richness of the well of knowledge. Everyone can decide what they need to take to refresh their souls!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  7:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
That's one of the big reasons that I'm here. I reclaimed something of myself that I lost a long time ago. We call it farm girl spirit I guess. But for someone who has always felt different and perhaps a bit of an oddball because I love to cook and bake and hang clothes on the line to dry and sit outside and listen to the quiet of the night and sew and just be natural in my own beautiful way, well this is home!

Hugs to you too!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  8:30:49 PM  Show Profile
heather .. you surely do make sense ... and i do understand about not being able to 'manage' money (lordy knows i was there at one point in my life too .. (seems i've lived a lotta' lives!) and i don't think not 'enuff' money at that time made me any wiser .. cuz' if something 'fun' came along .. i'd dig up the pennies somehows or other! (this is when i was living single with my two little girls). if a fun adventure or experience came along for us .. i was SO there! (still am!) .. (i used to make a 'treasure hunt' game of scouring up some pennies to go take them to McDonald's for french fries and a coke. (OH YESSSS .. i also realize how unhealthy that is today! .. probably knew it then too!) LUCIKLY, both of my girls limit those visits to McDonalds with their kids!!!)

i guess the difference is that i was not a 'complainer' like the people you saw on the show. but then .. those networks go looking for 'controversial' people to put on their show to raise ratings .. and i swear, honey .. i flip right past those channels .. won't give them a moment of my life!

the 'economy' is a very real threat at this point in american history (AGAIN!) .. and it SELLS 'sensational' tv and newspapers. (oh lordy .. why do we love a little turmoil and drama in our lives? .. YESSSSSS!!! if you are behind me in the grocery store .. you might catch me checking out an article in 'people' or one of the other magazines (NOT the ENQUIRER though!!!) but i surely won't pay for it .. it goes right back in the magazine slot when it's my turn to put my groceries on the counter. but i do have a mild curiosity i must admit about 'brad and angelina' .. and the latest movie star 'babies'! (luckily, i don't go to the grocery store a lot!)

honey, i've read enough postings that you have made to know that you have a good way of saying what you want to .. and that you are indeed kind-hearted .. and god love you .. you are more kind-hearted than me .. cuz' i DO NOT invite negative people into my home with open arms. toooooo draining! i love being surrounded by up-beat, happy, positive, non-judgemental people.

it is so easy to 'read' sometimes completely opposite than what we would 'hear' if we were sitting across a table having tea and conversation.

i think i jus' mos'ly don't want you to get angry or frustrated at people who don't use their 'common sense'.

My family would never have made one of these programs cuz' i wasn't stoooo-pid .. jus' a little too frivilous sometimes .. but oh my gosh .. the wonderful memories of those times! wouldn't trade 'em for anything .. and i did, indeed, learn from them.

it is a tragedy if children go hungry or families have to move into 'cardboard boxes under a bridge' (or with their 'in-laws') .. (that's jus' a joke .. some in-laws are fabulous!)

but those who 'complain' about things they can't afford because they've 'squandered' the rent or grocery money .. well, i believe, that they too are here learning a lesson. KARMA .. so to speak.

there are several definitions of karma .. i like this one:

Hinduism, Buddhism. action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad.

And unless they are doing real harm to someone or something .. i believe it best to let them learn through experience. And if they wish to 'complain' .. i believe in not listening.

Oh .. and trust me ... i've been poorer a lot more than richer .. that's for sure! Both are pretty much the same .. jus' more 'toys' with richer.

I'm reading an excellent book on 'wealth' and 'opportunity'. it is so incredibly INSPIRING .. i'll write some excerpts from it in the BOOK section. It's called Acres of Diamonds.

heather .. you are a sweetheart and i do adore you .. i love your honesty and ability to share your thoughts and feelings. that's one of the things that 'true friends' is all about. xoxoxo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  8:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, you are great! I too have always just been me no matter how much $$$ is in the bank...some throw me in their spam folder, some love me...RITF But I'm always the same ole Stephanie...

Life's a journey and what we do on this journey defines who we really are...One of my biggest (dreaming to the stars) would be to have the $$$ to help all of my family and friends so they would not have to suffer unnecessarily for or about anything. I know that we can't protect everyone but I'd sure like to! So meanwhile, I do what I can for those that I choose to drop a happiness package to.

It's called love and gratitude and wanting to "pay it forward" for all the souls that have protected and helped me in my life so far.

All of you ladies are great!! I agree with Frannie that a PJ party is in order!

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  8:51:02 PM  Show Profile
PAJAMA PARTY AT FREEDOM VALLEY FARM!!!! oh how i wish i could be joining the gurlz headed for maryjane's farm at the end of may! i'm thinkin' a BABY is due about that time! we have our 'art in the alley' that weekend .. and even though they told me last year to mark the date on my calendar .. and to NOT make any other plans .. i told them .. they shoulda' had that little talk with my little Wednesday last September! And STILL i have not heard from Kristen. Tomorrow is the day she goes for her biopsy! And if she needs me .. i will be there! I will have a life-time with that new little baby .. but a momma needs to be with her children when their need is the greatest!

a PJ party HERE .. i say let's plan one! mayhaps in the autumn .. but before those DANG asian ladybugs settle in .. cuz' they LOVE the stranger room .. and ya'll'd wake with a mouth-full of them!

now t'wixt and t'ween that time .. if any of you would like to come for a few day visit .. jus' let me know .. and we'll see if i can squeeze in a few days between running to the family. if a LOT of us can come in the fall .. we have 4 cabins in town .. and we can all stay down there .. and come back here for fun and crafting .. and run the roads to my fav antiques shoppes! and of course, tour my precious Green County!!!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  8:59:45 PM  Show Profile
gurlz .. a fun question i often ask friends is this:

if you won a THREE MILLION DOLLAR LOTTERY .. and could NOT spend any on YOU or to your own financial benefit .. and cannot 'split' it .. it must be given away in THREE equal parts .. to whom or what cause would you give it to?

i have a few 'variations' on this question .. one is a tad more 'selfish' IF you were to win a MILLION DOLLAR LOTTERY .. and had to spend it all within a month .. what would you buy? (you can spend it on yourself or others).

I like the second question more than the first .. cuz' my family always benefits. College education funds for the grands .. homes AND furnishings ... and reliable cars for the daughters. Neither of them have any 'debt' .. HA! they sure didn't learn THAT lesson from ME .. but HANK is a very good teacher in financial responsibility .. (t'otherwise, i'd probably be livin' on a park bench and eating cat food outta' cans!)

If i have extra left over .. i have special precious friends that i would help make a little dream of theirs come true .. such as helping them start up a business .. sending them on a much-deserved vacation or to a health spa .. or even a 'shopping spree'.

how are you gurlz gonna' spend your million?

GOSH .. now haven't we gurlz jus' gone from poverty to being a millionaire for a month! (i think little games like this help us understand our 'priorities' in life).

Heather .. you sure started a fun and interesting topic for discussion!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  9:03:03 PM  Show Profile
o.k. .. re-reading my answer above .. i gotta' win at least a FIVE MILLION DOLLAR lottery .. which ain't never gonna' happen cuz' i've never bought a lottery ticket in my life .. ohhhhhhhh .. except ONCE years ago .. about 20 of us in the office went together and put a dollar in .. and YESSSSSSSSS .. we won a BIG one .. but so did about half-of-america win that one .. i think i got my dollar back in my lottery pay-out!

o.k. we win the FIVE MILLION bucks .. now .. what are we going to spend it on?

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  9:04:15 PM  Show Profile
OH! I KNOW! I KNOW! (HALF A TANK OF GASOLINE FOR OUR CAR!)

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  9:26:32 PM  Show Profile
LOL

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  9:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm pretty independent and if I had the lottery money, I think it's up to me to spend it however I would like. Personally, I would put most in the bank (I don't do investments and have stopped my 401K cuz it's just losing money right now, looka the stock market) and still drive a truck. I've been rich and I've been dirt poor and am always looking over my shoulder at what seems poverty...which I'm nowhere near but I could lose everything tomorrow and I want to be prepared, just in case. :-)

We have a whopping big pickup that is almost paid for next year but everything else is paid for, no bills excpet monthly stuff. I want a cabin with a bit of land, no more than 5 acres and only one more horse for my hubby. He wants to run some mama cows in the future.

I have insurance thru my job but I've gone most of my life without insurance and somehow the medical bills were paid, even when I had to spend my entire pregnancy in the hospital with my daughter, we were always 3 minutes from bleeding to death. But it got paid. I've paid for others thru taxation and call it even. From what I understand, we have the best health care system in the world, no waiting months for an appointment. I've heard that Canadians and English are coming here for their cancer treatments cuz it takes too long to get appointments in their respective countries. There is a reason Doctors from other parts of the world come here to practice. The best Doctors for every ailment is already here. I've dealt with a few when I didn't have insurance even.

But, to me, if I want an SUV or a Prius, it's up to me to decide. I can tell everyone, that the price of fuel is not stopping anyone from being on the road. You should SEE the traffic jams I see every day!!

If I would like a big home (egads...) and can afford it, then that's what I should do. Probably, my having a large home (and money) fuels the local econmy thru taxes and the repair guys, etc. Money going 'round.

My wireless is acting up so I'm going to add this before I lose it!!

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  11:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Oh a slumber party in Autumn, that sounds just wonderful!
Well girls it's official. I was reminded today about a charity benefit that I volunteered for AGES ago and guess what weekend it's happening? Uh hu, you guessed it, the weekend of May 18th. Sheesh!
So I'm in for the next round whether that's a pajama party in the fall or some other delicious thing you all cook up!
I'm so sorry I won't be able to make it. I was actually going to have a garage sale to raise the money for my ticket!
Faarm girls ALWAYS find a way!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  07:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If I had 5 million dollars I would do whatever my family needed- paying off houses, setting up retirement funds, contribute to cancer and diabetes research, and if I could- I would pay off my own debt, buy myself a ranch and buy my precious horses! :D Nora of course would have a college fund and money set aside in a fund as well as enough for future kids. I think I could make 5 million dollars go quite far! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  08:54:21 AM  Show Profile
Alee, do you have a way to pick up an abused mare?? There is a mare on the Medford, OR craiglist for $50 who has only been used for breeding, no handling whatsoever. The guy will waive the $50 if someone will pick her up...what a guy (said sarcastically). I can't take on another horse due to my boarding and they wouldn't let her in anyway, as she'd need so much help the barn manager can't deal with it. I don't have enough money to bring back a horse at this time either but I read your post and thought of you. Or if you know someone who could take her or even get the word out?? She sounds like something I would LOVE to work on but just can't right now.

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  08:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sending you an email

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:27:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have to say...I've been so very frightened these last weeks. My boss is the Master Commissioner who sells foreclosed properties on the court house steps and they've been busier each and every week. This Tuesday, there were 100 sales. 100 people without homes, and it's not just people who "over did it"...it's across the board, all different types of incomes. And in the end, regardless of what they've done or spent--they're still people, who feel and know loss. Who have to give up their pets, or live in a basement, or a weekly hotel because an apartment won't rent to them because of a credit check. I guess because I work in this business, I take this so very personally--and I often think of what would happen to Justin and I and our dogs and cats. Gas this morning was $3.59...and it's still less expensive for us to drive our car than take a bus (not by much but about $10.00)...

Overall, I'm just putting one foot forward the other foot everyday, and praying that it doesn't get worse for us. We do what we can do, right?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  12:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
If I had to give it all to someone else, I would go an help the Katrina victims. They certainly cannot be forgotten about!!!

Selfish- I would pay off debt, pack just my favorite belongings, donate the rest to a local family that needs it and buy our house by the ocean, buying extra land for organic farming/flowers, open my own farmer's market, where locals can brings their goods, get the kids involved, return some land to its natural state or establish a preserve. Set some aside for the future and to play with, some for Charlie and buy hubby his Harley!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  1:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, you asked earlier about healthcare up north here, well, it hasn't always been universal but it all started thanks to a guy named Tommy Douglas. He was a socialist prairie politician who introduced the idea of universal medicare to Canada in the 1940's. It all stemmed from a time when he was ten years old and was very ill, the doctor was going to have to amputate his leg if he couldn't afford a costly operation. Luckily another doctor volunteered to do it for free and his leg was saved. From then on he decided to champion the cause that everyone, no matter their job, income etc. should have access to healthcare- free-of-charge. In 2004 he was voted in a contest on CBC (kinda like american idol-style, lol) "The Greatest Canadian" ever. I know sometimes we complain about wait times, but it's so nice to know that any time you're feeling poorly, you can go to the clinic or hospital and not have to pay a dime.

Now as to your other questions! I think it'd be real nice to have a pajama party with you girls! Boy, would it be fun :) I doubt we'd get much sleep though, lol. This thread has had some real interesting opinions, but it sure is hard sometimes to make yourself understood on the screen- it's so much easier in real person, isn't it? I always hope I don't write anything that can be taken the wrong way.(Which of course, I don't mean at all!)

Now if I had 3 million dollars to give away right quick, split three ways as Frannie says, I'd send a million over to NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), because they encourage everyone to write their little hearts out. I'd send a million over to the Haldimand Historical Society for building and cemetery restoration, and the last million I'd give to my old University in order to set up an ongoing scholarship fund for students majoring in history/museum studies.

If I had to spend 5 million quick on little old me?
I'd buy a stone cottage in Cornwall, England. Build my fella the bestest, coolest garage ever. Buy a few pretties from the antique stores, and invest the rest for the future so we would never have to worry about money again. :) Phew, wouldn't that be nice! Oh, and I'd buy a great big old iron soaker tub!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  2:31:21 PM  Show Profile
I thought it was just me - for years I have tried to explain what I was reading and seeing in the world to my over the top consumer friends. I never want folks to learn things the hard way but I think we all are going to go thru the wringer in this economy thing. I must say it is hard to keep the spirits up when you hear the horror that is happening in the world. I only go off the farm once a week if that and plan all the stops for food, postal, library and animal needs to make a complete circle ending back at the farm. My 1994 Ford Truck get great gas mileage - better then some small cars does it's job but my heart stops when I have to fill up the tank. I am extremely eco hearted - some might think I am a nut about it but I can sleep at night. What really concerns me is we are having our eight year of droughts - hay is now $13.00 a bale, propane is triple what is was last year and milk has risen 60% since January of this year. I am not sure if working as hard as I do is worth it ? I am concerning packing it all up and moving on. How can we keep our heart in the country when most folks just want fast processed food, 1,000 different cable shows that are not worth taking up airwaves and mindless spending, building and wasting that has turned into the American Dream - have we lost too much in the human mind set? Hate to sound so negative - it is not in my nature but I feel like I am pushing a boulder up Pike's Peak.

Thanks for letting me vent - would like to hear from you farmgal's as to how to stay positive when I feel like we might have gone too far in the wrong direction....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  3:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have decided the best way to get my point across to others who I see being wasteful is by leading by example. And by "Paying it Forward" even if just a smile. I figure if I can make one person smile who wouldn't have- I have lightened that person's burden for just an instant and I have made an impact. And if someone sees my tubs of recycling and realizes it isn't that hard for us here to recycle- then that is even better!!

Grace- It sounds like you are doing a great job! Those who burn their candle at both ends will fizzle out and us Farmgirls at Heart will be there to sweep up and then turn around to make Banana bread! LOL

Let's not get too down about what others are doing. Instead- let's take pride in all that we do for ourselves. Let's take pride in every ounce of self sufficiency in a world of dependency! And all the farmgirls who like to live it up still know the value in that which they surround themselves. I don't think anyone on this forum believes this is a throw-away world. Aren't Farmgirls great?! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic All this talk of the environment and high... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page