Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 All this talk of the environment and high...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic All this talk of the environment and high... Next Topic
Page: of 3

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
gas prices. I was watching a clip on how people are choosing between gas and food. While I personally know how hard it is to stretch a dollar nowadays, I cannot honestly feel bad for some of the people profiled. Most were driving HUGE Suv's, live in 2000+ square foot homes, complaining that little Sally couldn't go to one of several after school activities (imagine actually playing outside after school..the horror!!!) or that they had to WALK somewhere (even more horror) or that they had to buy real food and cook from scratch instead of take out or pre-packaged. I am sorry and this sounds really horrible of me but are people really this..ummm..how can I be nice...dense??? It just frustrates me to no end because if the gas prices were not so high, no one would give a rats patoey about all of this.

Vent done....

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Right on you hit the button on the head

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Ms. Wilma. I don't mean to sound well MEAN but gosh!! sometimes people need a good swift kick in the pants. Everyone is so afraid of telling the truth and calling it like it is.

GRRRR!! We farmgals will show 'em!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:33:48 AM  Show Profile
AND gas prices are so high precisely BECAUSE of these very things! duh!
Well, at least maybe just maybe this will finally push people to change.

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I saw that this morning on Good Morning America, Heather. I had to laugh when they mentioned people having to walk to the market.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:58:19 AM  Show Profile
But you know they sure slow learning, We came home Sunday and trafic was bumper to bumper, came thru Cave City and several cars wer pumping gas, very young people, When all these credit cards get maxed out what do they do then , Steal,well I sure am glad my husband keeps buck shot around here and wouldnt hesitate to use it

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of the big SUV's--what would happen if they weren't manufactured at all? DUH! I have a small pickup (10 years old) and it's only me and the pooch. However, if I had a car that would get 30 mpg, I would not drive the PU, except for hauling. I don't drive it very often and, in fact, I don't do much traveling at all. It's just gotten that bad with the gas prices.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:08:05 AM  Show Profile
I so agree with you! While of course none of us are enjoying the rediculous gas prices, a person with a bit of common sense can see that they need to make changes . . . which would include losing the gas guzzler and cooking more from scratch. We purchased a Toyota Prius Hybrid and are averaging over 50 MPG each tank. The savings more than pays the car payment. Also, as much obesity as is rampant in the U.S. I think far more people should walk to the market regardless of gas prices. I have a cousin who is a big macho looking guy that rides a pink scooter to work! LOL! But it saves him a ton on gas. It is all being willing to make the changes and sacrifices. I would much rather feed my family well than drive a big SUV.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree whole heartedly. I am stretching each and every one of our dollars until it yips and it makes me furious to see people driving huge "fashion" cars. Now I don't care if you have a huge car because you need it- muddy/Snowy roads sure are hard to navigate in a eco-car that gets stuck, or any of the other perfectly valid reason to have a big car. It also frustrates me to see people chewing their lip over food prices as they stock up on a month's supply of frozen dinners for their family. $5-7 per person for a frozen meal? I don't think so.

I guess this is where I really glow with pride for my farmgirl ways. I know that when new things are introduced to a society- people often go a bit crazy and start relying too heavily on said items and eventually common sense returns and some of the old ways are merged back in with the new thus creating balance again.

I think that our society has gotten over balanced in relying on processed food, conveniences of all types really. We farmgirls are some of the forefront leaders in bring back some of that balance. I feel like I help bring a bit of sanity back with every wholesome meal I make- with every loaf of bread baking in the oven. Each dress I sew for Nora and each button I resew onto Doug's work shirt helps to calm that frenetic buzz that seems to surround our world.

I posted a post not too long ago that was an article from the Organic Consumers Association. It was how these high gas prices can be considered a silver lining. If food, that has to travel thousands of miles, starts climbing in price then it is logical to assume that local foods offered at co-ops and farmer's markets might be a bit more reasonable. Also CSA memberships and such will become an even better bargain. So if we support our local (organic!) food suppliers then hopefully we can give the organic movement a huge leg up. Wouldn't it be a kick if local organic became the cheapest (and most wholesome!) food around! All those nay-sayers who don't like organic would have to eat crow!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Phew!! I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thought this way...I should know better with my farmgals around!!!

I really think we have lost something in the past generation or 2 about conservation, how do to things for ourselves, how to use MONEY and save and being frugal. We can't blame the kids who live in a electronic, plastic card, I can get anything I want everyday society. Our values are place on looks, how to buy buy buy, consume, throw out and not think about it.

I was talking about this with a friend about my wardrobe being pretty basic and how I wear the same things over and over and over until they literally wear out or at least are no longer publicly appropriate.I may look the same all the time but who cares. If everyone stopped trying to be an "image", we would get back to some basics and onto more important things in the world.

I really honestly think we need to disconnect from the plug and tap into ourselves and what is really going on in our lives and around the world. I think people often associate or box people in as either "hippies" or the "granola" moms out there and I am far from those images. I see all types of people at the farmer's market, I have business types asking me about my vegetarian food and my Sigg drinking bottle, I see kids becoming involved in land preservation, growing organic gardens and learning basic skills. But more is needed!! I truly think the education is going to have to come down to our kids. We need to get basics taught back into our public schools and stop worrying that our kids won't be on the forefront of technology. How about the fact that most kids cannot perform basic math, read, write? Those are the things that give them the tools to conjure up technology, not sitting in front of a computer all day or owning the latest techno gadget.

Ugh!! I know we can do it but I think we are past the stage of wake up call. The alarm is sounding and everyone is ignoring it.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Brenda- I am so glad to hear you say that about the Prius, I just started looking at them because I figured the gas savings would more than pay but I wondered if I was miscalculating. Did you buy yours new? We have no car payments now and do not drive much so I am hesitant to add a payment but it seems like it might come out about even with maintenance on two old cars, I use two tanks of gas per month in our 1991 Toyota Camry and my husband uses about two in his Trooper (terrible gas mileage!).

We are so lucky to live in a place where we can walk to everything (that is exactly why we bought where we did)- one mile or less to downtown, farmers market, school, co-op, parks, aquatic center, etc. Some people have it much worse since in the US land use planning is obscene...people should not live 30 or 40 miles from work and 10 miles to the nearest store in huge subdivisions and if you do you ought to plan ahead like the country girls I know to save fuel and trips instead of complaining that you can't afford to drive for HOURS every day. You know people are brainwashed when driving to a million different things every day is more appealing than being outside in the fresh air moving around at a human pace. Now someday we might buy land and I think the Prius would be a great car for trips to town.

There is a great website that lets you compare different vehicles gas mileage, emissions etc- it shows that I would save $1000 plus per year on fuel with a Hybrid Prius over my already fuel efficient Toyota Camry. You can customize the tables they provide to show your own miles driven annually, whether primarily highway or in town and gas price.

www.fueleconomy.gov

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  12:40:05 PM  Show Profile
All right- I gotta say this, after all the worrying about gas prices I hear about in the American media. As someone not from the states, I'm tired of it. I heard on the radio the other day if you work out the gallons to litres ratio - most Americans are paying 91cents/litre, gas here is about 1.20/litre! And in Europe it's got to be double that at least (have to check on that). Americans have some of the cheapest gas around! I don't understand... When we're in the states we always fill up on gas 'cause it's inexpensive ;) I think the US gas prices are just finally catching up with the rest of the world...

One other thing since we're venting a little ;), did anyone see the Oprah last week where the families were challenged to stop consuming so much. It was shocking to see the waste of these families. The amount of food they would throw out, the amount of shopping etc (one girl had about 200 tank tops!), it was craziness! It was a real shock to this frugal farmgirl how the 'average american family' supposedly lives.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  1:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Meg- I wholeheartedly agree with you!! I think we, in America, have had it so good and wasted it!!! And I saw the Oprah show too. I was COMPLETELY disgusted at the waste of the two families. The one daughter who purposedly broke her tv just to get a new flat screen would have gotten a good whooping in my house!! Then the dad went out and bought her a new one. YIKES!!!

I think it is sad that people look at America and see us with big SUV's, houses, convienence laden, consumption hoarders and want that lifestyle?? We have the worse healthcare system in the world and I think we are ranked just behind China in the worse environmental impact on the earth. ICKY!!!! Seriously, I think the farmgals here are doing well compared to those profiled on that show. If that is how people are really living in America, we need a big wake up call and we have done it to ourselves.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  1:17:10 PM  Show Profile
When I went into Edmonton this morning the first thing I saw was 3.45.9, the highest 361.9 i went to the grocery store and the prices scared me to death from just 2 weeks ago, I only bought the basic things and was out 70 dollars, well we have plenty food in the jars and freezers , but what about all the people that dont.Whether anyone believes it or not hard times are here and they are going to get worse.If I didnt have a store of foods instesd of buying all this stuff to keep up with the Jones I would be hunting all the canned bargains I could find, I would find me some old farm auctions and buy a pile of fruit jars. Instead of a fancy dinner I would buy a case of jar lids then I would hunt an old farmer , buy some produce and learn to can I do not feel sorry for any one that wont try. Schools our system makes me sick, but dont blame the teachers because there are some lemons, but they are so bogged down with paper work they have no time to teach, I can grant you they did not set the rules for themselves, You couldnt pay me to be a teacher in our system.When you go to the grocery most of the food is in fast fix bags, We leave it in the store, Its going to be hard I just hope people wake up and realise just how serious it is

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile
I agree with most of what is being said here! We are so spoiled as a nation and have no idea! I do however LOVE my Jeep! I only drive 5 miles to work though so it is a lugury I afford myself!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Julie, I am sure you are very conscious of what is going on around you. And you appreciate that your Jeep is a luxury, not a toy or status. Everyone can't do everything, but we can all do something. Simple stopping the waste would be a step forward.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  4:50:39 PM  Show Profile
I know there is lots wrong in my country of the USA BUT there is still alot right and that's what I choose to think about. I love the USA!!!

I love my PT Cruiser that only gets 18mpg in the city and 25mpg on the highway, I love spaceous homes, I love eating organic food and paying the high shipping cost to get it delivered (small plug there for Mary Jane ), I just love everything that my country offers me.

God blessed American a long time ago and will continue to..Humanity on the other hand has a way of destroying and inflicting misery on itself...nothing new. Do what is best for your family and let it be an example of living right..(whatever that definition may be)

I do not buy into what other countries people think about the USA. For that matter Hollywood is really bad about badmouthing the USA..I say they should go find another country to live in if they are so unhappy with everything.

What I see and hear lately is that "Showing allegiance to our beautiful country of the USA is faltering"...very sad indeed....there's no other (better) country than the USA.

Cheerleading from the frontline.

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  5:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Stephanie- very true too!! I love all that I have and all that I am able to do. I think we can take that positive attitude and let it spread across everyone and snuff out the bad thinking in our culture.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  7:12:38 PM  Show Profile
WELL CHILLUNS .. i must admit .. i LOVE my van .. it hauls everything i need to haul .. and occasionally has saved me 'hotel expenses' . when i'm on a road trip by myself. i don't mind at all camping out in my van when necessary! And it sure does come in handy when i drive it to OHIO and stop at antiques shoppes for treasures (for my shoppe ... and for me) .. and once i get there .. it is great for hauling around that growing family up there.

someone mentioned the other night that Mercedez (i think) is going to sell a car next year that is HALF the size of a regular car and only cost $12,000 .. which is pretty cheap for an automobile. I'd LOVE to have one of these for 'quick trips' where i don't need the van.

Like everyone else, i sure don't enjoy paying high prices for gasoline .. especially on LONG trips .. it sure can add up! Going back and forth to OHIO is getting more and more expensive .. but it surely isn't going to stop me from going to visit with those grandes of ours.

Meg, from Canada is right .. as a nation .. we still have lower gas prices compared to much of the rest of the world. (but we're catching up it seems!)

I think we all have to 'pick and choose' (without judging other people's choices) as to where they can (and want to) cut costs to be able to afford the things that are necessary (and even those little luxuries that make us happy in this lifetime). AND YESSSS .. unfortunately ... 'some' of those things do cost money. If we all stopped spending money .. that would sure put a lot of AMERICAN businesses (and therefore, workers) out of business.

BOTTOM LINE: I think it is just common sense .. and personal choice.

For instance: I don't like to cook!!!!!! Hank and I love going to nice restaurants. And i enjoy and get good use out of my van .. soooo .. those two choices stay in our lives.

I do like to buy fresh produce and support our local farmers and food-growers. I love going to Farmer's Markets (even though i do have to drive 40 miles round trip to the nearest one! BUT .. i always have a 'loose plan' when i do have to drive to town .. i take care of several things at once .. IF i have a dentist or doctor appointment .. i take care of other necessary errands while there .. rather than running back and forth.

I don't buy nearly as many clothes as i used to .. don't feel the 'need' too .. now that i am not in the 'working world'.

I do shoppe 'sales' .. and love to find 'bargains' whether it is clothing, antiques or anything else.

And YOU GO GURLFREN Stephanie .. i thank God i'm an AMERICAN .. and am afforded the opportunities to work for a living .. to shop where i choose .. HAVE choices and the FREEDOM to exercise them.

I don't watch or listen to programs where people 'complain' .. it doesn't bother me at all .. i figure that sooner or later they will 'wise up' .. or do without. But that is THEIR choice .. on THEIR time. Someone having 'too many clothes' or mega-gas-guzzling cars .. or McMansion homes doesn't ruffle my britches even a flutter.

I believe we should get involved in a VERY POSITIVE WAY in areas of life that are a passion of ours. And there are hundreds of ways to go about this and make a good impact on the economy and environment .. health care .. child care .. elder care, etc. etc. etc.

I think we can give 'positive advice' when necessary or solicited. It's all in the 'packaging' .. but it must be 'genuine'. HA! anyone who has ever had children (especially the teen years) knows that you can 'catch more flies with honey than with vinegar'. And i do believe we can teach by EXAMPLE -- (as long as it is true and important to us! )

and although it might be great exercise .. our closest grocery store is a 25 mile round-trip .. that's a lotta' walkin'! ha! not to mention how i'm gonna' carry all those bags home again.

Well .. i jus' wanna' say again .. Common Sense .. Personal Choices .. Positive Uplifting ATTITUDE. Teach by Loving Example.

xo, frannie

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  7:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, forgot to say..on the Ecology issue...I buy as much vintage fabric, patterns and buttons as I can get my hands on...Recycle, Repurpose, Resale!!!! No waste that way... It'll all get used enough go arounds til it just falls apart..LOL Good stuff all the way around.

Stephanie

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Apr 22 2008 7:27:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  7:28:51 PM  Show Profile
ha stephanie .. i mus' be incredibly eco-minded .. cuz' about 75% percent of my money goes to stuff that is making it's way round and round again in the marketplace! The other 25% goes for gifts for my chilluns and grandes.

and a zillion years from now when i'm 'gone' .. they will get that 75% too! now that's recycling!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Apr 22 2008 7:29:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  7:51:24 PM  Show Profile
Frannie. you're a hard act to follow - you always sum things up so bee-u-ti-fully! :)

Stephanie, what a great attitude! Now if only they would show that on the tv instead! But the media loves to talk about the bad news first, don't they? I was so surprised when I saw that show on Oprah, I thought to myself "now most of the Americans I know (through this forum of course!) are such positive and caring ladies, this can't be 'a typical family' on the show."

Frannie made a good point about personal choices. One person's necessity is something another person could do totally without. I know I could use less water, take five minute showers and everything.. but I love my baths and couldn't live very happily without them. I just conserve elsewhere instead :)

You girls said it, we are so fortunate to live in the countries we do!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  8:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, next trip to the mountain house I will take pictures of my collection....yep, I'm super eco-minded as well...it's recycling at the highest frequency since there is so much history tied up in each piece of feedsack, barkcloth, crochet and embroidered linens, chenille and hobnail bedspread, tableclothes from the 40's and 50's, sewing notions, trims, on and on...I will buy vintage first anyday over a new piece of fabric, etc. Although I do my share of supporting fabric designers.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  9:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Meg and Heather,

So true...it's usually bad new or no news! There wasn't near the hype going on before the 24/7 news channels came into the picture. Now "news" is big business...networks are at risk of folding if they don't report what is expected of them. To the point of not knowing when to shut up...Some of the things they report should be held as "top security" and not be allowed to report on....After all the terrorist are watching and listening to all of it. I know they need a job but seriously is that really what they had in mind when they choose journalism for a major?? I hope not.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...I love America!!

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
You all have valid points and I appreciate the manner in which you are sharing your opinions.
As for me, let me mention the minority of us that live in the city because our jobs are here who cannot walk to the store because it's just not smart or safe. I drive a small SUV that I love and it costs a lot to fill it up but I don't complain about that because it's my choice to do it.
I don't allow my daughter to take public transportation because it is incredibly scary. I am always so happy one of her goofy girlfriends is willing to pick her up and not so much happy but willing to pay those kids for a portion of their gas if it means my daughter is safe!
For me it's a case of "you do the best you can with what you have" AND you send up words of gratitude as often as possible for everything you have. This string reminded me just how good I've got it.
Thanks Ladies!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  05:08:08 AM  Show Profile
meg .. CANADA would surely be my FIRST choice of a country to live in ... if i were not born in America! Hank and I have visited and it is on our list to return and see more of it! I sure wish our country had your 'health care' system. Now .. i honestly, don't know a LOT about it .. you would know that more than us non-Canadians .. but it surely sounds as good as it gets.

Now .. tell us about Canada's health-care system. Is it truly wonderful? Was it ever the big 'money-making' venture it is here in the states?

And again .. here in america .. if a family has a good health care insurance plan (we have both medicare and blue cross blue shield) that pretty much covers all our health expenses. (i just got a diabetes insulin pump which was about $6,000 .. and my insurance paid every penny of it ... thank goodness!) But, Hank and i worked all our lives and had good jobs and a good government health care program that allowed us to continue it after our retirement. I know that most americans probably don't have this health-care program .. and as a nation, we are surely lacking and hurting in 'health care' .. which makes me very sad and i do wish there were more alternative ways to help with all medical expenses in this country.

I enjoy hearing everyone's feelings about this issue .. and mostly, i enjoy hearing those little 'niceties' that you have come to love and have chosen to keep in your own life (we ALL have them!) .. and also of ways you have chosen to 'cut costs' to get through tough financial times. AND all we have to do is look into our HISTORY books to know this surely isn't the FIRST (nor will it probably be the LAST) time our economy has been in the slumps.

Without 'sticking my head in the sand' .. i honestly believe one of my most 'freeing' A-HA! moments came when i chose to stop watching 'sensational' TV or reading 'gloom and doom' articles in the newspaper. Hank reads the paper (on-line) .. HA! ain't not big-time newspapers in this little holler of ours! And he subscribes to several more insightful magazines that reports on national and international events .. without all the SCARE tactics. I occasionally read articles from them .. and he loves to discuss the more important and relevant events with me.

BUT .. i do not allow all the 'el crapo' that UNFORTUNATELY ... SELLS .. enter into my life.

Now THERE is something to CHANGE .. to BOYCOTT!!! If everyone had the mind-set to STOP supporting these programs/periodicals .. they jus' might GO AWAY .. and hopefully, a 'truer' assessment, and ideas would grow from them. (hey . .jus' thought of sumpthin' funny ... like our gardens .. we gotta' mulch them with some organic 'doodie' .. let's just consider these outlets for entertainment as the 'fertilizer' .. and grind them up and USE them to GROW good plants!) xo, frannie

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic All this talk of the environment and high... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page