Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile
I was out riding Gypsy last night, and as I asked her to move into a trot from a walk, there was a brief moment of definitely not walking, but it wasn't a trot, either. I know nothing about Tennessee Walkers, or any other gaited breed, for that matter. Are any of you ladies familiar with them? Do they have a different gait? I may have to do some research on the topic!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  08:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jodi! Tennessee Walkers (TWH) are considered a gaited breed and are very comfortable to ride...Lucky you! If you look online there is lots of great info on the breed and on horses in general. Is this your first horse?

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  09:27:12 AM  Show Profile
Gypsy is actually my father's new horse, and she's half-Arab, half-Tennessee Walker. She is a joy to ride! I do have a 4 year old Arab/Blazer mare of my own, but we're starting her under saddle this year, so I haven't ridden her yet. Anywho, I'm looking online right now and I'm finding lotsa good stuff!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  09:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Gypsy sounds like a really nice horse! Congrats!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is some information about the TWH. I think what you are talking about is the "running walk" I so want to ride one now!

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/tennesseewalking/index.htm

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  11:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Another good website is

www.gaitedhorse.com

Lots of great info on the breeds!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  03:48:05 AM  Show Profile
For me there is no other breed to ride. Tennessee Walkers are the Cadiallac of the horse world.

Go to Top of Page

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  05:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
SOunds Sweet, Do you have pics? We are cleaning HOSS up from the winter, he is so shaggy!! Here he is eating a carrot and getting spoiled by the kids.

Heart of Ohio Chapter Member

My Etsy.com Storehttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5531954
http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  07:41:17 AM  Show Profile
Hoss has a beautiful face! Here's a pic of my Leopard Appaloosa, Scout, taken last Spring.....he's a great guy and fun to ride!

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  5:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, Scout and Hoss are so adorable! I love leopard appaloosas! Rode one a few years ago, and that horse still ranks as a fav. :) Here's a pic of me riding Gypsy the other night, she's kinda making a funny face--I think she was protesting the unflattering angle of the pic. Dad is going to a tack store next Saturday I think to get her new tack... aren't those pink reins the most horrid thing ever? LOL

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  5:07:38 PM  Show Profile
Grr, I need to remember to re-size the pictures so they don't take forever to load...

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  07:12:57 AM  Show Profile
Gypsy's a good looking girl! You look great on her....LOL, I have a pair of pink reins too. I like your bridle, that's really nice. What brand of saddle are you riding in? It looks really comfortable!

Kim

" Life's A Garden- Dig It! " Joe Dirt
Go to Top of Page

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  07:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
Gypsy is so Sweet Looking and Nice to "meet" ya Jodi

My DD would love those pink reins!! Where did you find them?

Heart of Ohio Chapter Member

My Etsy.com Storehttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5531954
http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  08:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh, thank you! I'm glad I get to ride her, she's spunky, lol.

Heather, I'm not sure exactly where you could find the pink reins, since those are from her old stuff that her previous owner had. I saw some similar ones at a D&B store in Boise, but not that particular color. I bet you could search online and find a company that would sell them.

Aaand the same goes for the saddle, Kim...I didn't buy it, so I'm not sure who made it. It is super comfy, I like it a lot, I'll have to look and see what brand it is!

Here's a better pic of her in her new headstall, halter, and reins after Sunday's trip to the store!

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  08:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Love the new tack! She has a really sweet face.

Kim

" Life's A Garden- Dig It! " Joe Dirt
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  09:36:04 AM  Show Profile
Gaited horses are fun, as you have found out. The thing that took me the longest to get used to is the multitude of 'variations' they have to how they move. With trotting horses they either walk, trot or canter but a gaited horse moves from one to another with many more 'grey' areas so it is not as easy to determine exactly what they are doing all the time! I generally just leave it if its smooth its good and if its bumpy its pacing.

We have a gaited grade mare who does it all-- trots, gaits and everything inbetween. Does your horse trot also? Some gaited horses will only gait and others trot or gait.

A trick I learned also if you are really curious what gait they are doing is to take some colored vet wrap and make use that to mark the feet/legs on one side only. Then video tape the horse doing its thing. With the camera and the legs marked its easier to see exactly what foot is doing what because the different gaits vary just slightly by the pattern of footfalls.

artist, equine portraits, animal art, farms, barns, Amish art, fiber animal art
www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  09:50:15 AM  Show Profile
Actually, that one moment was the last time I've felt her do something other than walk/trot/canter. It's probably because she's only half-TWH, and hasn't been trained to gait, either. I'm not sure how to encourage her to do those different gaits again...

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tennessee Walkers!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page