junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  12:24:44 PM  Show Profile

I spent yesterday cleaning out a small closet under the stairs in our small, old farmhouse in hopes of turning it into a pantry, it's in the dining room so will work out well, but I need some ideas for storage on a budget. I don't want any mice thinking they can come in and party in my pantry so I want everything in a container of some sorts. What's your pantry like and what do you find to be the best way to store food items

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  1:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Junebug, I have a very large food storage I buy almost everything in bulk and the best money I have spent was on my food saver, when I buy flour or sugar I keep it in bags the size of my canisters and then it all stays as fresh as possible with NO BUGS!!!

I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  3:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to say i keep bags in the popcorn cans keeps mice out

I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  5:20:45 PM  Show Profile
I use large glass, one gallon pickle jars that most deli's will give away. Also plastic buckets with lids that ice cream stores also give away. I too buy in bulk where I can and store in recycled glass jars...with the exception of all grains and flour which is stored in the freezer as the oils will otherwise go rancid. I keep small amounts in glass jars and fill as needed.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  11:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for the great ideas, I love the popcorn tins but my space isn't that big but I"m on a hunt for pickle jars now and will have to look around here for my old BIG canning jars to store stuff in. Does anyone know how long flour will keep in a pantry? Of course it will be in a jar but was wondering how long before it's not good to bake with?

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  2:23:35 PM  Show Profile
I too buy most things in bulk. I used to buy my honey in these 12lb plastic jars and smaller glass jars (may be 6lb) and thats what I keep almost everything in. I have a lot of jars, I store spices and teas in ball jars. This is not only for bugs and animals but for quality especially with the spices and teas, they just last so much longer when they're in a container. i wonder about flour, I freeze mine first first to kill anything that would be hinding in it, then it goes into a honey jar and probably last no more then a month before we use it all up. I wouldn't keep it for very long. May be no longer then 6 months, not sure though.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  10:25:26 AM  Show Profile
I envy all of you your pantry space. I would give anything for a pantry, even under the stairs. I do have a basement, and I would hate to give it up, but oh, for a pantry. My great aunt's pantry was a room about 10 ft square, with a window and shelves all around. The shelves had red and white checked scalloped paper borders, and white shelf papers. A red and white checked curtain kept most of the light out, but could be opened when she wanted more light. There was a marble counter under the window. I used to go in there and look at all the put-up jars, crocks, tins and baskests of potatoes, onions, apples, and bins for flour. I still dream about it. My little 50's house simply doesn't have enough space. However, making the best of what I do have, I keep everything in glass jars, gallon jars, old peanut butter, coffee, whatever. I have some 1/2 gallons that I don't can in, but they make good storage jars. I keep flour in the biggest tupperware containers I can find. There is a big yellow cannister thing, I can get most of a 25 lb sack of flour in 2 of them. The big pie takers and cake takers hold lots of flour or dried fruit of whatever. When our local country grocery store moved, I bought 2 of their plexiglass doored tobacco cases. Together they are 7 ft tall and almost 8 ft wide and about 12 inches deep. We barely got them in our back door, but they line the wall in our utility room and hold all those things that don't fit in the kitchen, baking pans, all but the biggest canning kettles, cast iron, my thrift store silverplate collection, table clothes. Lots of stuff. And it looks pretty cool.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  11:43:29 AM  Show Profile
West Fork Woman, it sounds like you already have a pantry in your utility room, filled with wonderful goodies and memories, so don't feel left out! Thanks for posting, your efforts sounds great!

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  09:37:22 AM  Show Profile
my pantry is a big room within my kitchen (but behind a door) .. separate little room within a room if that makes any sense .. and i use it every day ... so i have everything in there ... in both cans and bags .. but use these things regularly rather than letting them just stay unused for months at a time (and IF something has been in there for several months .. i toss it). i use vintage glass and tin and wooden containers mostly .. so that when the door is open .. it is also attractive to look at.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pantry ideas needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page