Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Shopping for dd prom dress...whew!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Shopping for dd prom dress...whew! Next Topic  

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  1:52:32 PM  Show Profile
I took dd and her best friend shopping today. It was so hard to find a dress that she liked and that we could afford this year! We went to 8 different stores and the dresses were either down-right ugly or too expensive or both. We were really getting discouraged, so I called Rose. She always knows where stuff is and where to get the best deal. So she gave us 2 other places we didn't think of. Number 9 was a bust and on our way to #10 store we detoured into the Dress Barn. Both girls found their perfect dress and I didn't have to give my right arm for it! Then we had to find the right shoes which turned out not to be as hard as finding the right dress. I'm pooped.

DD's dress is a low-cut, black handkerchief hem style with some sparkles around the waist. She looks great in it. Prom is next Saturday; I'll post the pictures on my blog next weekend.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  3:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa- Phew! I remember those days! It was always so hard to find something "off the rack" that fit. Ugh. I bet she will look FABULOUS though!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  4:10:54 PM  Show Profile
I do too...I know my mom was always frustrated with me! We could never agree on what was "acceptable" for me to wear being 15 and 16. My view involved a lot less dress!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  8:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Lisa, we did the same thing today! My daughter's prom is next Saturday too. I'm so lucky for lots of reasons but we have the "fashion district" here in L.A. It's crazy but full of gown shops etc. it makes shopping much easier.
AND my darling boyfriend Dan sent my daughter a check so she could buy her prom dress. He knew I was worried about doing that since I lost my job. What a sweetheart, right?!
Anyway, the 2nd dress she tried on was a winner and she's over the moon. I had sticker shock when I saw the price of the dress but you know what, it was her money and she gleefully spent every penny of it! It'll be a good high school memory for her.
Boy, they grow up fast, don't they? Makes me a little weepy.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  06:27:23 AM  Show Profile
we have a lot of places around here that rent dresses. Just something to consider if she goes again next year.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  07:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Fortunately, this is her senior prom and I won't have to do this again. I love going shopping with her when it's just to get some new outfits for school or just "cuz". But when you're looking for something specific that tends to be on the spendy side, it can be frustrating.

Previous proms seemed much easier because all the proms in Boise were over by the time our school had theirs. We've gotten prom dresses in the past for $12 and $26! But this year, our prom is 3 weeks early, so nothing was on sale yet and the selection was so limited.

DD and I don't have any issues over what is acceptable. I'm lucky that dd is somewhat conservative. After we got home and she tried it on again, she realized she didn't have the bust to really fill it out and the shoulders easily slid off. I'm going over to Rose's today to see what ideas she has to prevent that. Possibly sewing a bit of black lace inside connecting the straps. Not sure yet. DD is really concerned about bending over or slipping the shoulder strap and revealing more than she wants to.

That was so nice of your boyfriend, Linda. That made it so nice for you. Boy, we walked into one store that has just the most gorgeous gowns and the store was packed with mothers and daughters. But that was one of the stores that the cheapest dress was $225! I have such a hard time paying that for something that would only be worn once.

Well, anyway, it's done now. DD is happy with what she got and once we fix the slippage problem, it'll be even better.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  1:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa-

It sounds like you need to take in the side seams of the dress just a bit to snug up the bodice area and maybe adjust the straps just a bit as well. Hardly anything ever fits me "off the rack".

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  04:03:52 AM  Show Profile
That's why we took it to Rose, Alee. She's the sewing expert here. She didn't like the lace idea. She took up the shoulders and because the bodice is one of those cross-over types, Rose put an invisible stitch in that part to keep it closed. I only wanted her advice and to tell me how to do it, but she said she could do it in just minutes. It's a very well-made dress and taking up the shoulders was more than just running it under the machine because the seams are all totally enclosed. Rose said that it's a very "touchy" kind of material that binds and snags easily. I probably would have spent an hour or more trying to do it myself and possibly would have damaged it trying. I'm so glad Rose is my friend and neighbor! I just love her to pieces.

Farmgirl Sister #35

My Website:
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Shopping for dd prom dress...whew! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page