Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Some confusing things have happened...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Some confusing things have happened... Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  07:12:24 AM  Show Profile
I kind of feel funny posting this in the general section and thought this might be better so please understand.

But right now we live in a RV in a park cuz we don't know where we want to live and are looking for 'the spot'. Our RV park is clean and riff-raff is not allowed. The manager watches over our spot and we feel safe there. We've been looking at land or land/home deals so we can be in the country and I can have my horse(s) and garden and all. But we still have to drive a big rig to make our money.

I would be really happy with a fixer-upper and we have a few places to look at yet again. I don't want much but I do want it nice but we can't afford to just hop into something, we have to look and be choosy. Money is an issue as I don't want to be in debt forever for a place.

So I was talking with my barn manager where I board my horse and she said I lived in a trailer park. I was kind of taken aback cuz around where we live, the trailer parks are definitely low-end and very junky. I'm not a snob and have been very poor after my divorce and know how it is to not be able to afford food, clothes and housing. I reminded her it was an RV park and not the same but I still felt kind of bad and I hate to say it, ashamed of where I live.

Also, I have an Appaloosa and she said she didn't like Appy's but she does give great care to the horses and I don't have any complaints there other than more yearly shots were given than I wanted but that can be fixed by my giving my own shots rather than have her tell the vet what to give. But still, her saying she didn't like Appy's kind of perplexed me too.

But back to the housing part. Now I feel funny talking or telling people about the RV I live in. Actually I've had people tell me they wished they had the freedom we have instead of being tied down to a house and it's upkeep. But they have big homes and it's a big job. I want simple and inexpensive for the rest of my life. But still, I feel funny and wonder if the other ladies in the barn kind of look down on me also, altho no one has said anything.

Am I being too sensitive?? I'm just bugged and at least it feels good to say it to someone! Another great reason for this board to exist!

Winona

Edited to add...I have to get on the road in a little while but I can read any replies on my cell phone but can't reply.

Winona

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Edited by - goneriding on Apr 19 2008 07:14:59 AM

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  07:21:42 AM  Show Profile
I think that you may be a little sensitive. I honestly wouldn't know the difference between a trailer park and RV park myself and wouldn't consider it being an insult calling a place a trailer park. My aunt and uncle who are quite well off live in a trailer park and though it is a high-end one they always call it a tralier park.
People are strange and there is always going to be someone who looks down on you, not matter what. Be proud of what you do have and no one can make you feel lower. We live in a house, own it (so many people look down on renters for some reason) but there would always be someone who would say it's not fancy enough, or too small, or whatever. There are just some people that nothing is good enough. I think that you are making a smart decision by not jumping into a house until you know that you find the perfect one. Just don't let other people's opinions bother you - I know that is easier said than done!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  08:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Winona-

I don't think it matters the size of your house or where your house is. Your RV is home for now and I think that is great! You take good care of your Truck and of your RV and that is important.

I think there will always be people who have silly social stigmas. I would just shrug off what she said. It probably isn't even worth the time to try and educate her on the differenes.

I think you are wise to not jump into owning a house just to avoid what other people might think of you- especially when you haven't found that perfect spot just yet. Also I think sometimes people can get caught up in the "keeping up with the Jone's" so they don't understand people not living like them- even if it is the right decision for the other person.

Just keep being you and someday soon I know you will find your own special place to have your sweet Appy being cared for by your own hands.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  10:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Hey, think of it this way!! My BIL's parents live in a sort of trailer park in FL & they probably paid over 700K to live there.. SOO, a trailer park can be pretty high end, but ultimately, just be happy with yourself & let the rest go by the wayside.
((HUGS))
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  10:30:25 AM  Show Profile
I haven't left yet and got a chance to reread my post and yep, I think I am being a little sensitive but when it's happening to me, instead of me looking in, there are times I can't see it for what it is.

I'll wait and see if anything else develops and then I'll know for sure. But I do want my own place and then I won't have to wonder. Thanks for the replies!

Winona ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  10:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Winona, I was raised in a 27 ft trailer with no hot water and no bathroom. There were three kids and mom and dad. I didn't like the idea of living in a trailer park either until I realized that our house was paid for and other than lot rent nothing could change that. My mother lived in a single wide until she died and she loved her home and never liked any of the stick-built homes that I had. So go with it girl. If you own what you have, be proud.
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  05:13:59 AM  Show Profile
Winona, I think something inside is bothering you and maybe you are noticing things that aren't meant to be paid attention too. Does that make sense?

Or, it seems that what bothers you comes from this person who runs the barn where your horse is staying. Is there somewhere else that you can board your horse? I mean telling someone you don't like Appy's when you are caring for an Appy is like a daycare provider saying "i don't like children", or a nursing home worker saying "i don't like the elderly". I would feel strange about that too.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  4:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Winona,
Could you do me a favour and check out this link.
http://www.merkado.ca/main_0~en.htm?CFID=1012431&CFTOKEN=39268253
It is across the road from me, and people think I am nuts to be showing it to friends. It needs work, but I love it and the barn is in great shape.
Hey, if you found it to be your spot, you would have a farmgirl neighbor....literally.
Other than that,,,,others will think what they think. And someone once told me that opinions are like butt holes, everyone's got one.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  4:25:51 PM  Show Profile
I actually have lived in a teepee in northern AZ during the time I 'thought' my ex was going to start building a house and actually, I loved living in it. It was made by the company that did the 'Dances with Wolves' movie. Talk about no-tech! But we lived way out in the country and no one much visited and I don't think many people knew and so it was a non-issue...but about the RV park we live in now. It's very clean and I've found it's really great cuz if something goes wrong, the park fixes it and keeps the lawn mowed, etc. I've had people over and no one has said anything but now I wonder.

Actually, 4forme, I've kind of wondered the same thing but she is the best barn manager I've ever seen but I wonder if the stress is kind of getting to her, she takes her job seriously.

The trailer parks around me aren't clean/safe and I'd be afraid to live in them and that's why I was kind of taken aback. Kind of like a sideways jab.

Welp, I'll be home in another week or so and we are out again looking for a spot to call our own and then the problem will be solved.

Thanks again for the responses and I wanted to say, I am not looking down on anyone that lives in a trailer park as I have seen some doozies that really nice, just going by what is close to me. :-)

Winona :-)

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  4:31:56 PM  Show Profile
EmmJay, Hubby just HAS to live close to K Falls, OR or he will just DIE (figuratively, not in the real sense). We now live close to Grants Pass, OR and it's already getting too hot for him. He has friends over there and they can hunt and fish and I can do my horses plus we can still drive our truck for a living.

But thank you for the link!! I'll take a look anyway. BTW, my family does a reunion up in Nova Scotia once every 10 years or so. I've never been up there but it's kind of neat to think that my 'blood' came from that part and then on down to South Carolina and then out west.

Winona :-)

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  08:06:19 AM  Show Profile
Winona, I spent last summer living in a 27 foot travel trailer parked in an RV park. While many people attach a stigma to it, there is nothing wrong with it. It is economical, you have freedom to get up and move to new scenery whenever you feel like it, AND the financial freedom you have is something "rich snobs" would be smart to envy. Personally, I think it makes more sense and is far more practical than renting or something until you find land or a home. AND I have heard of RVs and trailers costing a few million... people get them so fancy shmancy. BUT I'd be willing to bet that some people would still look down on them if they lived in them full time, millions or not. Their stereotypical mindset about RVs is ridiculously close-minded. Don't let them get to ya...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Some confusing things have happened... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page