CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile
that you wish you would of done but didn't? The one thing I wish I would of done but never did was get a horse. I have been in love with them since I was tiny. Now, I am too darn old to handle them I do believe !! But I still get all excited when I see one and can pet it.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  2:23:00 PM  Show Profile
I wish that I would have gone to college. I think my life would be much different/better if I had.

Now, the thought of it makes me tired.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  3:25:14 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane: I don't know how old you are but I clean for a 62 year old wonderful woman who not only has her own horse but competes with him!

I started college when I was 48 and then moved up here and broke my hand, arm, and wrist and never got back. In reality, I'm a senior and my goal is to finish with flying colors someday! Susan
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  3:31:04 PM  Show Profile
you never to old. My grandma rode her first horse in her 80s. she has drove a team but never riden one until then. Do it, go to a stable where they rent horses it will be worth it to you if you do.

debinmtns #63
http://handcraftedncreated.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  6:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I am 59,60 in November. I know you can finish college, you just have to get in the right mind set to jump in and do it. My daughter,who never wanted to go to college,did so at 39 and became a nurse.You know what, I have never seen her so absorbed in anything she loved it.Debi,I have been toying with the idea of going to a stable and trying some riding lessons.Maybe I will just do that this year! Kate, I know what you mean about the thought of it now makes you tired!!! Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and sharing.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  6:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane...I too wish I had gone to college--ballerina's have very short lives, and I simply did NOT want to teach, so I signed a contract very quickly out of highschool and almost immediately became injured. Never thought I wouldn't ever be able to dance again. Then, out of necessity, I had to get a job and I've been going ever since...just don't feel like I could spare the expense, and that ALSO gets me mad at myself for thinking about others over me!!!

Get your horse and you go, girl!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  7:06:43 PM  Show Profile
We women certainly are great for putting others first aren't we Jonni? It is such a hard habit to break.I get mad at myself for feeling guilty if I don't put others first. When you are young honey, you never think about things like getting injured, maybe in a way that is a good thing though. Because then we aren't afraid to try our dreams.You never know even now what interesting thing may open up for you. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Keep your eyes open to possibilities !

MJ

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  7:12:31 PM  Show Profile
That's for sure...we're hardwired for it, I guess. I also get upset with myself for not putting others first. I even feel guilty when I spend a little $$ on myself at the thrift store..it's ok if buy something new for the house, but boy not for me (in my own mind)! I sure wasn't afraid then, when I was younger, Mary Jane. Wasn't afraid of much of anything! As I do get older, though, that's when I seem to be uneasy about trying--I fall into that trap that I remember from my mother and grandmother, "Oh, I could never do that." or "Oh, I couldn't afford that..." cased closed. It's hard to break cycles, isn't it? Thank you for your kind encouragement, you are so good and so dear, I enjoy our "over the miles" exchanges.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  8:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Hank and i often play 'the question game' .. recently i asked what 'regrets' he had. His immediate answer .. which surprized me .. was that he and i never had a 'biological' child together. Gosh .. he was and is such a great dad .. i don't know that it ever occurred to me back then .. We were 30 when we met .. i had a 2 year old and a 7 year old .. and it seemed to me like the PERFECT family. I guess maybe one or more might have been fun! (but the GRANDES sure make up for it .. AND .. we've had more 'freedom years' .. jus' the two of us together which we both treasure!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  05:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I just wish I had started living life sooner. I grew up in a VERY STRICT household and was thrown to the wolves at 18. I never had been on a date, didn't know how to drive, I didn't experience a normal teenage life. I didn't even have social skills to function and I spent several years just being afraid of the world. One thing I will never allow again is someone to control me and put me down for being me.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  07:01:31 AM  Show Profile
Skydiving. I hate to admit this but now, that I'm older, I'm too afraid to be up that high. Besides, my knees are shot and I don't think they could take the landing without breaking!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  08:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Frannie , it seems no matter how long you are married to someone there are always surprises. You and Hank have such a wondeful life together. Your right the time together in "the freedom years are so special. It is like you get to be carefree kids again.

MJ

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  08:30:25 AM  Show Profile
Heather, you are wise beyond your years. No one should control another person. That is not what love is about.No matter who it comes from. You have made so many right choices about your life and you understand the things that were wrong for you. I can tell that you are well on your way to living life fully and on your own terms. Enjoy the now and don't let the actions of otheres now or in the past effect your happiness.

MJ

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  08:33:53 AM  Show Profile
You know Lisa, I had to identify with that!! Because I really want to ride those horses, but who the heck made them so high off the ground!! I still am going to try though. I think I will just have a chat with the horse and ask him to please not make me regret this!LOL!

MJ

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  08:43:33 AM  Show Profile
I have often wished I would have stayed in the U.S. Navy. I had a choice to make, either marry or go to college. I wish I would have gone to college, although I wouldn't have my two wonderful sons had I done that. Military and marriage (in the 60's) were not allowed. So I got married and I still haven't finished college. The military was going to pay my way to become an R.N. and that meant four years of college plus payback time of six years in the military. Being so young, time was everything. I'm still dreaming of college and I live just down the street from a wonderful 2-year college. What am I thinking?
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  08:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
The one thing that I have always regretted not finishing was piano lessons. I took them in high school at age 16 from a private teacher. When I started dating I wanted to be with my boyfriend and quit them! I had a gut feeling then that I shouldn't quit and would always regret it, and I do!
I was a quick learner and was doing very well. I loved to practice the piano.
I have short term memory problems now so it would be a real challenge to try to lean it now. Electric keyboards just don't sound like a real old fashioned big heavy piano!
I have taken some music lessons on the guitar but my fingers hurt too bad. I did learn to read some music tho.

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  09:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Awww Maryjane!! Thanks...you are so sweet!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  8:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Now Ladies, I'm just stumbling onto this thread, and it's sort of a little sad to read...because I think that there are STILL opportunities to be had here...so whomever is saying "it's never too late" is right. Especially since we live in a part of the world where we can DO what we dream! Can you imagine living in places where you aren't ALLOWED to do what you'd like? Or you are so poor you dream of just EATING?

SO I say go and dare to DO what you can, if you can! Haha, at least that's what Mama told me. And if you can't do it, try to do as close to it as you can, and if you can't do THAT, just be grateful for what you can! It really IS a large life.

I wanted to be an actress when I was little, but I was a very depressed teenager and heavy with bad skin, so I talked myself out of being an actress, but later I took the stage as a dancer (ha! You can't tell a 200lb 17 year old she's going to be a dancer, let me tell you!), which is not EXACTLY what I wanted to do, but I'll take it.

I think if you want to ride a horse, or go to college, you shouldn't stop yourself. We all deserve happiness and positive new experiences! :)

Hugs!!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  8:56:46 PM  Show Profile
ok, this is gonna be Reeeelly funny to everyone but I really do regret not learning to swim ( or rather, overcommin my fear of being under water) before i grew up. I have the biggest phobia about being under water and I really cant hold my breath for long so swimming never was fun for me. I always see pictures of people swimming at the beach and at tropical resorts and Im like, MAN i wish I wasn't scared! I have tried alot of time sto just get over it and learn but I just cant handle the being under the water part. Now I have a two year old that I am determined to teach to swim ( actually Im going to take her to the gym pool and have a teacher teach her how) so that she will never be in danger of drowning or whatever. Goofy i know, I just cant do it: )

Fresh and creative projects popping up on my blog daily! Stop by and check out what I'm up to today!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  05:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Um Rebekah- I taught myself to swim at 24, still have a hard time swimming underwater. You can do it!! I know you can.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  05:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Zan- you are absolutely right!!! I have been trying to get to the core of what I really want to do with my life. We travel- just a little closer to home now but I still get the same enjoyment out of it. I can always volunteer at the local shelters or food pantries or fundraisers. And, I am planning some projects thatI could sell this summer- aprons, small blankets, etc...all beach themed of course. I, too, think nothing is out of our grasp. Most of us do a lot of talking and not enough walking. I plan on walking this year.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  10:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Yay Heather :) Your plans sound exciting :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  2:58:43 PM  Show Profile
hhhm,, i might give it another try one of these days...hey, maybe I'll take swimming lessons WITH Abby! LOL, can you just see me in the kiddie pool crying cuz I dont wanna put my head under water???? LOL

Fresh and creative projects popping up on my blog daily! Stop by and check out what I'm up to today!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  3:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Rebekah- you can do it and honestly, I found such peace after I learned how to swim and float and enjoy the water around me. I actually took a water aerobics class to get comfortable moving in the deeper water and getting splashed. If anything, get yourself some sassy water wings!!! ; )

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  7:18:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm like Yarnmamma. I wish I had taken more piano lessons. I took them in elementary school. I got to the point that I hated to practice, and finally talked my mom into letting me quit. I did play at church enough to stay in practice a little. When I married and moved to my husband's church, they needed a piano player. I guess I filled the bill because I am still playing (38 years worth). I have been the only player most of those years. Ours is a small country church with a fairly small attendance. But with our new pastor we have begun to grow beyond our walls!!!! Along with all those new members and visitors came 3 piano players. We all have a different style. I have to play by the book, and the congregation sings with me. The other 3 play by ear. They play and sing with each other. It has been so wonderful.

www.adasadorableaprond.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  8:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Interresting thread... I love gals that are willing to look deep and ask the hard questions - I wish that I would have gotten my degree in Holistic Nutrition....I read a book several years ago "healing with Whole foods" by Paul Pitchard - at the time I was struggling with Lupus and on Meds.. It challenged me to try some more natural things and I have never regreted it.. I have taken several classes for self knowledge and love the topic and love knowing how brilliant the body is when given what it requires...

I also tend to be the "jacky of all trades" master on none.... So, I long to master just one...maybe it will simply be ... being the best "ME".

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does anyone have something Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page