True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  10:40:56 PM  Show Profile
if, of course, you are married?

hank and i had our first rings designed .. they had the jewish sign for "life" on them. loved it ...

we went to the bahamas on a rugby tournament .. and when i was getting out of the boat to party on a private island .. it fell off my finger .. and i guess it's either at the bottom of the ocean or a fish swallowed it!

a few years later, in a rugby game, hank broke his finger ..his knuckles 'swelled' and he can't get a ring over it anymore.

i had an antique one for some years .. then lost it! now i jus' don't wear one.

tell us YOUR 'ring' story.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  10:52:09 PM  Show Profile
I do wear a wedding ring! I have a solitaire ring of my engagement diamond, then I have a beautiful band that is over 100 years old with 2 karat of diamonds! Miner-cut diamonds. Thanks for asking a fun question, as always Frannie!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  12:10:03 AM  Show Profile
I have a pretty diamond ring...not a big flashy one..but pretty...set in gold and the band that sorta wraps around it...but I wear a simple silver band that says eternity around it three times. I am just too hard on the setting on nice rings. This one is just right for me..and I can wear my nice one if I get dressed up (and remember) husband is on about his 5th band since we married nearly 12 years ago..he loses them constantly.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  05:49:46 AM  Show Profile
We were really poor when we got married (at ages 17 and 19!) but DH wanted to get something that was 'grown up' that looked expensive. I ended up with a white gold band with 4 princess cut diamonds, put together to look like one large one. It is really pretty, but I have injured a number of my kids with it, and I was always taking it off to do the outside stuff, or dishes or what have you. Finally during my last pregnancy I just put it away, since it kept slipping off, and I haven't put it back on. DH asked about it once, and seemed sad I don't have it on, but I assured him that with 5 kids in tow hardly anyone could doubt that I was married. :) I really want him to get me just a small band (no diamond!) for my birthday, and I keep dropping hints....

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  05:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely. I would be devastated and absolutely lost without my wedding rings. Justin worked so hard to get my engagment ring, and it sure does mean the world to me. It's from 1940, and has 4 little shamrocks holding the diamond in it's setting (and the diamond is small, to suit me--I'm small ;)). My wedding band is from 1910, but was never sold. The jeweler still had their stock from the original Covington store which moved to the "burbs" in 1960, and they sold it to us for $30.00!!! It also has little flowers and miligrained on the edge.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  05:59:54 AM  Show Profile
diamonds .. they, like other gems .. surely can be lovely .. don't know why .. but i never had a desire for one .. (i think my sister got all those 'genes') ... when hank asked me what kind of diamond ring i wanted .. i told him 'i'd rather have a motorcycle!' ha! i got on his shortly after that .. and almost broke my leg .. this was in the day of 'bell bottom' jeans .. and i got the inside of that 'big bell' caught on the pedal and it threw me off balance and i couldn't steer straight .. THAT was the end of my desire to own my OWN motorcycle .. but i sure loved riding on the back and huggin' on honey-hunk's back while he 'drove'!

i once road all the way from D.C. to Connecticut on the back of a BMW motorcycle (with another guy friend) and i SWEAR .. i fell asleep snuggled up against him .. had my hands in his pockets. it's a wonder i didn't fall off the back and get squished like a bug. he didn't even KNOW i was asleep .. the ride was absolutely non-bumpy .. so peaceful .. it just lulled me off to la-la land like a baby!

hey .. there's another question .. what are your 'motorcycle' stories .. ohhh .. i'll start another 'thread' for that one.

oh i jus' love to hear gurlfrenz' stories .. that's what makes us gurlfrenz, i do believe. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  06:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
We got married very young, I was 18 and he was 19, fresh out of High School and so we have very simple gold bands. We were married in a church in front of an Adorable stained glass window and had the reception in his parents back yard, Now almost 11 years later I could think of somethings I would have done differently, Like renting a Hall and taking more pics. I still Adore my dress though, maybe one day my girls will year it...

Heart of Ohio Chapter Member

My Etsy.com Storehttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5531954
http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  06:33:47 AM  Show Profile
I don't wear one!!! I lost the diamond out of it about 20 plus years ago and we couldn't afford to replace it! so I got used to not wearing a ring and it was never an issue! But since I"ve been working outside the home I've gotten HIT on!!!!! Sooo funny! I called my hubby after one incident and said-You HAVE to buy me a ring!!!! We are going to Maui this summer and we are gonna buy simple bands at the little hippie swap meets they have!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  06:49:45 AM  Show Profile
I wear a ring and so does my husband. His is just a plain gold band, a "comfort" fit - he did not want anything flashy. When we went to purchase my ring, we also did not have a lot of money and DH told me that if we couldn't find a diamond that you could at least see from across the room, then would I be fine with just a band - which I said would be fine. To our surprise though, the jeweler was willing to "haggle" on the price of my ring. It is not a huge diamond, but I have a center diamond, with what is called diamond channel set on the bands and then surrounded by 4 marque cut rubies. I usually do not take my ring off, the only time I can think of it when it has had repairs done to it or when I was plastering the walls in our house.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  06:51:55 AM  Show Profile
Yes! I love mine. At the time DH worked at Pounders Jewelry so he got it at wholesale. Mine is not huge (.64 carat diamond solitaire) with three marquee saphires around it and then a row of tiny diamonds on the second ring. I will be without for a while though as I have lost one prong and part of another so it needs repaired before I lose the diamond. I am not a big jewelry girl by any means, but this is sentimental to me. DH is finally getting his sized up so he can wear it. He hasn't worn it in years and I really want him too. He has a fear of getting his finger "Caught" on something and "degloving" his finger. He is a paramedic and has seen a lot of this over the years, so he has a valid fear. So who knows if he will actually wear it once it is sized. I don't want to force him to wear it and then have him get his finger "degloved" and feel guilty!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  06:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Great idea for a thread!!

I don't wear one either!
I had one of course, when we got married.. It was a very pretty gold band we had matching rings.. there is a single etching all the way round right down the center.. with the prettiest little cuts going out from that center etch toward the rim.. Well the ring was perfect for my 16 year old finger.. However over 30+ years of marriage it simply does NOT fit anymore.. & has developed this crack on the INSIDE where that nice etching goes all the way around..! I've taken it to a couple Jewelrs to see about getting it fitted.. But they both felt that the ring would just crack in two! so.. it sits nicely packed away in an old Jewelry box..
My Husbands ring was worn for just a couple days.. then he went back to work at the Die Cast Plant.. where they weren't allowed to wear rings.. & he just never got used to wearing one..

About 10 years ago he decided I needed a nice pretty Diamond..
It was a very pretty ring.. But.. like you Frannie.. I'm just not a Diamond girl.. never been something I've wanted.. or needed.. I wore it though since it was from him.. & he was so pleased with himself for finding such a gorgeous ring on his own!!
I think i had it for maybe 2 years before i lost the stone out of it..
Poor Butch.. I think he's getting a complex now..

I do wear a ring on my left hand now though.. it's just a funky Silver ring.. I bought it myself..
But.. it's a ring.. & it makes him happy..

Kathie.. Farm Girl Sister #29

"In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself"..
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  07:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Yeppers :) I found a beautiful antique ring on ebay and dropped a hint to the fella, lol. It's my engagement ring/wedding band - I don't need to wear two rings. I'm really not a ring kind of girl.
It's art nouveau, probably 1910, made from yellow and white gold, the band splays into two stylized flowers, set with 6 little old mine-cut diamonds (jeweler said probably 1880's), and in the center is a small pearl. My name means pearl, and it always make me think of the quote from when Anne and Gilbert get engaged "Give me pearls for my troth ring".

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  07:36:00 AM  Show Profile
I do! Mine is a really pretty white gold band (I am allergic to yellow) and has sapphires and diamonds inlayed. Rob searched for just sapphires because neither of us are fans of diamonds because of the diamond trade, but couldn't find one. I also wear a white gold ring that has a huge blue topaz-Rob's birthstone-that I saw and loved and ROb got for me.

Rob also wears his ring. Actually 2 rings. One is the one we married with and was my grandpa's ring. the other is one I got for him for Solstice and has a little message imprinted that means something to us personally. He doesn't ever take them off unless he is doing mechanical work. no need to lose a finger!

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  07:48:14 AM  Show Profile
MEG!!!! gorgeous ring!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  07:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Agreed, Meg...that's lovely and from what I've seen of your photo, it suits you to a tee.

J

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  08:01:31 AM  Show Profile
Yes, mine is the same gold band we bought at Walmart (we were not looking to spend a lot of money when we got married at the court house), his is matching and I have no desire to take it off.

He had my solitare diamond engagement ring reset after we were married into a thick gold setting as I was scratching the kids all the time but I only wear that on special occasions.

I am a plain gold band kind of girl. I feel very odd if I take off my ring.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  08:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I wear my rings! Doug and I had picked out some rings at a jewelry shop here in Moscow that were nice, the ones I liked best at that shop, but I wasn't too wild about them. They just were if you know what I mean.

Then I went home to do some wedding planning last summer and in Billings there was a jewelry store having an estate sale! Oh my gosh! I found ring after ring that I just was dying to have, but one little wedding set jumped out at me!

The "engagement" part has a round diamond raised up and in front of that kind of flat to the profile of the ring are small elongated ovals that represent petals or leaves on a flower. Then the wedding band part curves to meet the engagement ring and has another oval diamond to complete the leaf/petal pattern.

I have a great picture of it- but it is on my camera which is out of batteries! I will make sure to add it as soon as I can!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  08:21:55 AM  Show Profile
I need to clean mine if I ever wanted to show you gals a photo. It has some garden dirt in it! Maybe I'll do that tonight!

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  08:30:12 AM  Show Profile
My engagement ring was a delicate gold band with a rough cut ruby spinning around on it, so tiny and Erik knew I loved Beth Orduna so he picked the perfect one. Now I am too clumsy and pick up too many kids a day to wear it without worrying about hurting someone or breaking the ring so it comes out only on special occasions.

Brenda- Erik has stopped wearing his ring when he works for the same reason...once he started doing the engineering job at work there was too much to catch it on. Apparently firefighter and medics do get some terrible injuries from getting their rings caught. He is so cute- he wears it on a length of leather around his neck!!!

My wedding set was my Grandma Ressa's and it rarely comes off...she was such a classy lady, very San Francisco and she had the biggest heart;) My Grandpa Norman's Mama Rose owned a jewelry store- Bader's Jewelry in LA, and I am pretty sure the ring came from there. It is white gold with pretty, colorful diamonds (I would never have picked diamonds but since they were hers I am keeping them! They were married in the late 30's and I love the simple vintage design.

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf

Edited by - Rebekka Mae on Apr 17 2008 08:30:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  08:33:06 AM  Show Profile
My diamond came out of my engagement ring so I only where my band. It is gold with a silver band in the center. My husbands ring is also gold with a silver band in the center. It belonged to his father before he passed away. We both wear our all the time. The only time I take mine off is to mix meatloaf.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

jcbtxstars
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julia C
Midland Texas
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  08:42:25 AM  Show Profile
I wear my grandmother's engagement ring, my mother-in-law's wedding band and my engagement ring...nothing matches(I like it that way)sometimes I just wear my engagement ring.
Miss Julia

http://jcbtxstars-local106.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  09:30:47 AM  Show Profile
When I was single I wore a "no pest strip" (ring)..after getting married and losing 2 rings in the 1st 5 years I do not wear one. DH does tho'. Been thinking a little simple band would be nice.

I love the ideas of the some who have rings with family sentiment or unusual settings.
I am not a "bling" girl, tho' I like funky bracelets and ear rings in the summer.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  11:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laura- what is a "No pest strip" ring?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  12:54:42 PM  Show Profile
I wear mine proudly. Although, the one I wear now is not the original. I cannot get that one on my fat fingers. But, the present ring was a gift for our 20th anniversary from dh. It has 9 diamonds, but four of them are tiny. The larger five represent each member of our family. I guess the tiny ones could be the pets. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  1:09:03 PM  Show Profile
I am no longer married, but when I was, I just had a plain gold flat band. My engagement ring was my Grandmother's diamond reset by my ex into a new cathedral setting that matched well with said plain flat band.

But I am a plain flat band kinda girl. If I ever married again, I would get another one, and probably forgoe the diamond ring if he were worried about having to get me one. But I wouldn't turn one down either. LOL

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  1:09:55 PM  Show Profile
We hadours deisgned. there is a small hear shaped diamond on top for the first band and the attatched wedding band is a v shape that fits snugly under the bottom of the heart with a row of 3 sapphires on each side and another little diamond in the middle.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic do you wear a wedding ring? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page