ajplmama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Alicia
Halifax Nova Scotia
Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  11:29:49 AM  Show Profile
I just introduced myself in another thread but I'm from Nova Scotia and newly situated on an old farm of about 100 acres. We have about 15 acres of hay fields and probably close to that much that would be easy to transform into pasture or hay. The rest is woodland or marsh. The wood was cut about 15 years ago so it has some nice regrowth but it is no longer a forest :(

My plan is to start producing more of our food. I have a lot of experience with animals but it has been a long time since I had any and then I lived at home with my parents. I originally thought I would start with a batch of dual purpose chickens that we could eat the males in the fall and keep the hens for egg laying. I may still start that way.

I really wanted a cow for milk and butter making but my 10 year old son has researched and saved his money for a Nubian goat. He's really into it and visits his goat for now until we get a barn or shed built. I'm thinking if he wants goats instead I'll try that first.

WE would also like to rais eour own pork. If I could avoid buying meat completely I would be very happy but that's not practical yet. I'm not sure if it wille ver happen. I'm sort of thinking that piglet won't be in the mix until next spring. Then the house wil be finished and barns built. This year is a whirlwind of activity!

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  4:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alicia.....
I am Mary Jane and I am in Amherst, NS.....Not too far eh!
I hear everything about starting out. It takes time, and I am still working towards getting things situated. Our barn is going to be torn down this summer, and rebuilt.
I have many laying hens, and I do raise meat kings. I tried the dual purpose but found the meat tough. We also raise turkeys and this year we raised two pigs. I would like to have another cow, but need the barn done first.
I do have a FIL just down the road that has a jersey, and I get milk for making butter during the summer months.
Glad to see another maritimer, and I know you will LOVE the girls here.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

ajplmama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Alicia
Halifax Nova Scotia
Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  05:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mary Jane! You're really close by! Cool.

We also found the meat tough in the dual birds int hep ast. I wonder if it would be smarter to buy meat kings and just female layers for our egg flock? Two separate flocks I guess.

How did the pigs work out? Will you do it again?

ARe you from Amherst? I used to travel up there for work (Dept of Agriculture) and knew lots of the farmers. I often find that many of the commercial farmers aren't producing food for their own families and think I'm crazy. Oh well!

Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  06:30:09 AM  Show Profile
Yes Alicia, I will do it again with pigs.
I don't make money from eggs or meat, but when all is said and done, my food is free. Friends who ask us for chicken, or turkey love it and won't buy from a store any more.
I am not from Amherst, but the other half is. We were out in NB and lost our home to a flood. We discussed the possibility of moving east or west (Ontario) and decided to come here. I feel like I have been here for my whole life, and I absolutely love it. We are close to the ocean and on a farm. I don't think it can get much better.
Even though I do not like seafood, I love to go clam digging and cook for hubby.
If you are ever in the area, you have to contact me. There is another farmgirl in PEI which is not far....we can get going on our own Canadian Chapter.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

ajplmama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Alicia
Halifax Nova Scotia
Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  08:44:12 AM  Show Profile
I too am not looking to make money but provide us with a better quality of food (and if it's cheaper for us that's so good!).

A Canadian Chapter would be neat. We've been so close to home for the last two summers with building the house that getting out this summer seems strange to me. We might get up your way though.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  10:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Alica!

Your dream is much like my own! I too am dreaming of the time when I can have a backyard flock of chickens, have dairy animals, raise a steer or two a year for butcher and maybe a also a pig. If I didn't have to buy meat, dairy, or eggs at the store I would be able to reduce our food budget by much more than half. And if I can grow my main veggies in the garden, during the summer I would hardly have to stop at the store at all.

I feel today's world is very disconnected with their food and I really hope that I can raise Nora to know where her food comes from!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ajplmama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Alicia
Halifax Nova Scotia
Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  2:31:17 PM  Show Profile
I know what you are saying Alee! I'm scared we are going to have a whole generation of people who don't know where there food comes from. Maybe we already do :( It's a strange world.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic a starting plan Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page