Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Inexpensive way to change kitchen counters?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Inexpensive way to change kitchen counters? Next Topic  

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone

I found a great farmhouse in Narrowsburg NY that I am moving to in May. The only thing I hate about it is the kitchen counters, they seem to be covered in some type of material that was rolled on in sheets (kinda like linoleum, some sort of composite material) It is peeling up a bit in the corners and is just horribly ugly.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to replace this without a huge expense and in an eco friendly way. I am a single mom and this is a rental so I am on a small budget.

Thanks
Jenn

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  6:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Do you have permission from the landlords to change the counter tops? I don't have any tips, unfortunately for a rental. I will watch this thread as we are renting as well and probably will again in the fall.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  7:06:30 PM  Show Profile
I know laminate is reasonable, and there are SO many different choices, but don't ask me--I still have the 1960's gold sparkle laminate from the "remodel" in the 60's. I agree with Alee, ask if you can change them because of the rental agreement.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  7:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I am going to assume you have permission and say, try looking at like a Habitat For Humanity store. Here we have one where you can buy stuff in good condition, but taken out of "flipped" house or remodeled homes.
Ask on freecycle or craigs list.
Goodluck

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  06:15:19 AM  Show Profile
I would have suggested looking for a houseparts resale also. We have a store here in Rochester like the one Amanda describes (I think it is associated with Habitat for Humanity too).

I think the tricky part would be finding a countertop that is exactly the size and shape of your existing cabinets. I have a countertop in my kitchen that is not going to look good with the color that I want to repaint the walls. I asked at Home Depot whether it would be possible to buy a new stock countertop without changing the cabinets, and they seemed to think it would be very difficult to match the two things. Of course, I'm not sure the guys at Home Depot are the best judges of that, but they may be right.

Wasn't there a thread on here sometime in the last year that showed pictures of someone's kitchen where she had decoupaged the counter tops? I think she covered them in brown paper bags and shellacked it? Does anyone else remember that?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  07:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amie- I remember that and I am doing a search for it as we speak. Not sure what the title of the post or even what area of the forum so that makes it a bit harder. But I'll find it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  07:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Whoo Hoo! I found it!
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14171&SearchTerms=paper,counter,

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  08:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Alee you are sucha SuperSlueth!! LoL! You can find anything!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  08:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thank you to all of you. I will check on recycle..maybe I can find inexpensive tile. Yes I have permission from the landlord.

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  5:25:01 PM  Show Profile
another thing is, some counter tops if laminate can actually be painted. you will have to thoroughly sand the counter top then paint with your desired paint with a priming first with a kilz primer. then once you have that on you'll need to apply about 5 coats of polyurethane lightly buff sanding between each coat until you get to the last two coats.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  6:40:06 PM  Show Profile
You can use natural linoleum tiles...think marmoleum, I just saw a kitchen in the March Country Living and they said it cost them $74 for the tiles. We have Marmoleum flooring and LOVE it! It is super easy to install. You can also tile it pretty inexpensively- I think we tiled our entire shower surround with recycled porcelain tiles for like $100 or so. Just use the big tiles so there is less grout to deal with.
Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

ameliad80
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

amelia
washington
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  09:10:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend who wanted granite but it is cheaper to buy the smaller granite tiles instead of a big slab. I know its a rental but maybe they would pay to have it done.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  08:05:10 AM  Show Profile
My husband said you can get tile....discontinuted style...but make sure you get an extra box. They should be pretty cheap. We are going to do ours that way because I am not to happy with the formica. It cratches real easy.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Inexpensive way to change kitchen counters? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page