True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  09:46:26 AM  Show Profile
I have outsmarted the cat!!

LOL You ever have one of those pets you feel you're always in an all-out battle of wits with?? The kind of pet that makes people question your sanity?

Well.... my furbaby is one of those critters. He has...*ahem* puddle...issues. When he gets ticked at me, he immediately goes and does his business on my bed. I have tried EVERYTHING to get him to stop. And I'm doing laundry all the time.. CAN'T go on!

Weeelll... I think his puddle days are over.

He doesn't 'go' on surfaces that aren't absorbant, and he likes to be able to bury it--handy instinct cats have built in. Sooo.... I have purchased YARDS of the clear, thick plastic stuff (like for tablecloths, covering furniture, etc) at Walmart, and during the day, I'm going to tuck it over the top of my blankets. So he will (hopefully) loose all motivation to 'go' on my bed.

I think it shall work beautifully. *glares at cat*

Only people with critters could understand... LOL Such a feeling of smug satisfaction... ;p

Anywho, random boredness! And I think perhaps this is my sanity check!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  10:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
ROFL! Oh that is very clever Jodi! I love it! I have heard of animals doing that before and I know from Sky having a puddle issue of her own (Hormone related) that it can be insanely frustrating!! And the endless laundry! Oy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  12:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
((hehehe)) I had a cat that liked to back up to the couch once in a while...we stopped him by pure 'keeping the eye on him' and every time he'd go to back up, we'd yell and make a big noise..usually by yelling out his name along with it..he'd run like a ..well, like a scaredy cat!! Broke him of it though.
I've heard of one other thing you can do to stop them from doing that on the bed though, and thought it was a hilarious trick..(Im so evil sometimes) But it was to blow up a bunch of balloons and 'fix' them to your bed. The first jump the cat made, (usually with claws out a wee bit) was well, 'SHOCKING" to the cat to say the least, they didn't usually return for more!

Have fun..and good luck with the training!

Sage
Hiding in the broom closet (my craft room!)
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  3:56:33 PM  Show Profile
I have a Siamese kitty who's five yeqars old, and she used to behave perfectly before her accident with a car. She had to be in the vet's for several days and since her jaw was broken and one of her eyes injured she was pretty cranky when she cqaame home. i took her up to my rooom, set up her own personal hospital, you know, kitty bed, her own litter box, fresh water , etc. With the greatest effort she managed to scramble up on my bed, then she turned to look at me and promptly peed my bed. I forgave her. A couple of years ago I went on my quilt retreat in october for six days. When i came home Mab jumped into my purse and peed that! Fortunately I must be toeing the line because she hasn't done that lately. They are such imps, cats! Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  10:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Oy Karin...sounds like alot of cat patients who used to come to us, at the vet's. The owners would call once they got home, completely shocked, that the cat left the carrier, and *promptly* got on their bed and peed! Hmm...it is NOT accidental, methinks!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  10:37:46 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a cat (who lived to be 22!!!) who would pee on my bed anytime I went anywhere overnight. I ALWAYS had someone come over twice a day and she still did it. It was for sure intentional with her. She never did it any other time. I started getting neurotic about the bedroom door being shut at all times. Guess what..I still keep my bedroom door shut like that. I don't think Alice, my cat now, has ever seen the inside of my bedroom! I do have one cat who just won't stop the "spraying" every time he comes in. We love him, and he has been part of the family since he was a kitten (12 and 1/2 years) and he was neutered at 4 months old...but he is an outside cat. He is a great gardening buddy, and has a cuddle bed in the mud room and a sleeping buddy (stray cat who never left..so we spayed her and kept her for him) and seems perfectly happy.
It is really awful to deal with, isn't it? NOTHING smells as bad as cat pee!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  06:34:02 AM  Show Profile
The balloon trick would give me an even BETTER sense of satisfaction, I think, lol. But then he'd be *really* ticked off. And I'd be afraid he'd somehow manage to swallow some of the balloon after he'd popped it, and that wouldn't be good.

But I agree, there is NO smell quite so bad... thank goodness I have found a cleaner that takes that odor out (after trying countless others). It works better on carpets, but I use it to spot treat the blankets before I wash them and it does great.

I wonder if his bad habit has something to do with his surgery about a year and a half ago. He was getting regular urinary blockages, so they re-routed his plumbing a bit. Now that you mention that here, I suppose it could be a factor, but it didn't start until about eight months ago.

But either way, I doubt he'll be doing it anymore!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  6:54:48 PM  Show Profile
I can so relate - it is weird when we jump for joy because we finally have figure out a way to get the upper hand on our furry family member. I adopted a cat around the holidays and he came to me with a problem on peeing in baskets. Now for someone who runs a fiber business I live by baskets. Weather they are my prized Longenbergers or hand woven by local artisians they all have value especially when they house my fiber and yarns. This is my life so it was important to stop the behavior..... I too covered things with plastic to give him the idea that it was not open to him - he still would pee on the plastic. Once day it hit me - I took off the cover to his cat box. He came with a cut one that even had a swinging door - he did his other business in the box but would pee in baskets. I am happy to say that once the lid was off that ended his need to pee everywhere else. Maybe you might take a look at that habit - just a thought.

Good luck

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  02:18:14 AM  Show Profile
I do so hope that you post the results of your little "experiment." *mischievious grin*

As far as the smell and stain, I found a great product that will take TOMATO JUICE out of a beige carpet. It's Seventh Generation's carpet spray. Oh, it was so magical when I discovered just how awesome that stuff is. We were having a get together, and I was making bloody marys. I went to shake a bottle of tomato juice, and didn't realize the lid wasn't screwed on, and so it looked like I was deliberately pouring tomato juice onto the floor. Well, instead of panicking, we all laughed at my goof, and I grabbed the spray, fearing for the worst. But I was totally blown away when, without even blotting it up with paper towels, the stain DISAPPEARED. I am in love. And since I'm a mega-klutz, it's a match made in heaven.

http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
The Age of Discovery in a Nutshell:
-I claim this land in the name of England.
-You can't claim it, we live here!
-Do you have a flag?...
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  2:50:28 PM  Show Profile
~Well.... it's been a week, and thus far no messes! *happy dance* I'm telling you, though--when he first jumped up on that bed and saw that I had plastic all over it, he gave me a look that could KILL!! ROFL! Reminds me of that commercial, 'Mama ain't worried, mama's got the magic!'.

I LOVE Seventh Generation products, Marie! And I like the guilt-free feeling I get when I use them, too. Gentle on the earth.

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Muahahaaa! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page