Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  6:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I made some Black Bean Soup tonight but was not pleased with it. Doug says he likes it, but can you share your recipes with me?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  10:01:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee,
I don't know what recipe you used, hopefully I'm not giving you the same one!:) But I just found a beautiful 1979 copy of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook that I am quite excited about, I haven't tried this recipe myself yet as I just got the book yesterday, but it certainly sounds wonderful! I might have to try it out myself in the next couple of days....

Black Bean Soup

2 c. dried black beans 1 1/2 t. dry mustard
1 onion, sliced 2 T. lemon juice
2 stalks celery, chopped Salt to taste
1 ham bone Freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 c. cooked ham chunks

Soak the beans, if necessary, overnight in water to cover. Drain the beans and add enough cold water to the soaking liquid to make 2 quarts. Put the beans and water in a soup pot and add the onion, celery, and ham bone. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 3-4 hours or until the beans are soft, adding more water to replace any that evaporates. Remove the ham bone. Puree in a blender or food processor, or beat by hand (kitchen workout!). Add the cooked ham and reheat, seasoning with the dry mustard, lemon juice, salt, and a generous amount of pepper.

Variations:
Black Bean Soup with Sherry: Omit the lemon juice and add sherry to taste during final seasoning.

Black Bean Soup with Rice: Top each serving with a T. of hot cooked rice (brown rice would be super!) and a sprinkling of chopped onion.

Black Bean Soup with Lemon and Egg: Top with a thin slice of lemon and a slice or two of hard-cooked egg.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  10:07:10 AM  Show Profile
This is the recipe I use! I use my Fannie Farmer cookbook all the time. I haven't been disappointed in a recipe yet. :)
By the way, welcome, Nigella! Glad you have joined us!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  12:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karin! I'm glad to be here!! And thanks for the good news about my 'new' cookbook! I'm new to the Fannie Farmer thing although I understand the cookbook has been a round for a great while! :) As I continue to look through the cookbook (yes, I like to read my cookbooks from cover to cover!) I am just amazed at the wonderful recipes and information.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  1:20:47 PM  Show Profile
I'd be glad to give you one, Alee...This is our favorite and it freezes really well. Jus loves it, and I add organic chorizo--gives it that nice kick :)

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium-size red onions, chopped
1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 16-ounce package dried black beans
1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles*
7 cups vege stock
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup chopped seeded plum tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation: Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers and sauté until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin, and chorizo; stir 1 minute. Transfer mixture to 6-quart slow cooker. Add beans and chipotles, then 7 cups broth. Cover and cook on high until beans are very tender, about 6 hours. Transfer 2 cups bean mixture to blender; puree until smooth. Return puree to remaining soup in slow cooker. Stir in lime juice, salt, and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon dollop of yogurt into each bowl. Sprinkle with tomatoes and cilantro and serve.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  8:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Guess, I'd better ad black beans to the next shopping list. These recipes sound great!

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  05:48:02 AM  Show Profile
Here's another good black bean soup recipe.... http://www.moosewoodrestaurant.com/recipes_archive.html#50

I love the Moosewood recipes.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.

Edited by - 4forMe on Apr 28 2008 05:50:50 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Recipe for Black Bean Soup? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page