Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Read an article on the cost of maintaining...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Read an article on the cost of maintaining... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  7:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
one's "beauty" routine. They compared a simple gal with an extravegant gal. One spent like $1500 a year while the other spend $66,000 a year. YIKES!!!!

It got me thinking about all the prices of the stuff in my cosmetic bag, on and under the counters, in the shower, pedicures, haircuts/color, special skin/body treatments. I will try to post my $$$ once I figure that out but I thought it would be fun to do.

Anyone game???

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  7:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lets see- I get my hair cut about twice a year for a yearly total of $50, I buy shampoo and conditioner about once every three months (big bottles) for a total $80, and I maybe use $100 worth of makeup a year. I don't usually use lotions or potions unless they are are of my own making so maybe another $50 worth if that.

Grand total $280

Geez! I can't imagine spending even $1000 a year let alone $66,000!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  11:37:28 PM  Show Profile
Umm, I don't NEARLY spend that at all, and I live in the city! I know some women over here who need to "touch up" their hair every week at the salon, who do their nails every Friday at the manicurists so they are "party ready"...who do spa days and wear expensive makeup and perfume. Wow! I mean, I think they would PANIC if they went "all natural!" And you know, talking to some of them, you quickly, and sadly, realize they really think society expects them to be this "polished." Which, I think, is a bigger issue in what the beauty industry is pushing so they make money. You have to have THIS dress, or be using THIS cream to be considered beautiful, or "hip" or whatever the current in thing is.

I'm a big hippie. My parents were more about smarts, and achievement, not about beauty. Better things can be done through smarts and hard work.
Besides...with THESE dreads, there's not a whole heck of alot of product, and my face is REALLY sensitive to makeup so a nice soap scrub....haha! What, that's like maybe $30 all month?

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  12:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Hm....$4.50 for my mascara that lasts 6 months...$5.00 my eyeliner pencil..about 3 months worth...and $10. for my oil of olay moisturizer that lasts a few months too. Soap and water.That is about it. I cut my own hair..or have my sis in law trim the ends...don't color it at all and don't have my nails done unless my girls decide I need it done..and 11 year old manicurists come cheap. I can't imagine spending much on "beauty stuff". I do like good shampoo..but I mean $8 good..not $100 good.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  12:16:36 AM  Show Profile
I might spend a few hundred dollars per year. I can't imagine spending any more than that!!!
Perhaps, I am in the wrong business?????????????????

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  03:45:38 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I don't wear makeup, I use baking soda and acv on my hair, I buy some soap and occasionally lotion, but that's about it. I bought some nail polish and painted my nails the other day for the first time in a couple years. :) I'd be surprised if I spent over $75 in a year.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  11:04:30 AM  Show Profile
Well, lets see...Rose trims my hair for free. I don't wear makeup except for weddings and our anniversary so foundation is about, what, $4 or $5? I haven't bought any in 2 years; so I'm guessing at the cost. Mascara and Burt's Bees lip balm. I actually buy the lip balm about twice a year. So that's about $10 for those a year. Hair color is under $3 and I do it myself 4 times a year = $12. Shampoo and conditioner once a month at $6 = $72. If I bother to do my nails, it's with a bottle of polish that I don't even remember how old it is or what it cost. I don't really think soap would count as that's more of a hygiene thing, not a cosmetic thing. Hair conditioner is just so I can get a brush or comb through it. So all tolled it looks like I spend under $100 a year. Unless I missed something?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  2:13:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to think...mascara 2 x's a year at $6.00 (so 12), powder foundation that lasts a year or more $20.00, Eyeliner $6.00 (also 8-12 months), a shell pink eyeshadow $4.00 (lasts a year) and that's it. Jus and I share shampoo and conditioner, and the rest, well, it'll just have to take care of itself! It would be a waste of money for me to do my nails--gardening and chewing my fingernails does not help the manicure, and I trim my own hair, however this week I'm going to get the 7 inches cut off that grew back over the winter by a professional ($11.00)....so I think I come in way under $100.00 a year :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  8:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Holy cow, Jonni, your hair grew 7" in 6 months? Are you kidding? Dang, I want hair that grows that fast!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  05:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Nope, you don't, Lisa :). It's a pain in the bottom! I've never been able to keep a "style" for very long (well, if you count some layers as a style) because they just grow right out and I really don't justify spending money on hair cuts.

I had 11 inches cut then, and 7 have grown back. It's almost down to my waist again!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  06:14:47 AM  Show Profile
ZAN: just wanted to let you know, my sis-in-law is very sensitive to make-up too, she did very well with Pur minerals make-up....(there are several brands of the pure mineral make-ups now) i will confess so all you ladies can laugh at me.....i was spending $225 three times a year just to have more "natural blonde" put back in my hair when i lived down in palm beach, florida! now that i'm in south carolina, it's only $120 (3X/year) what can i say?!! and as far as cosmetics? i like the origins brand.....,dior show mascara....stilla tinted moisturizer....nars blush... i know that i'm a nut.....(and you'd think with all the money i spend i'd be a freaking beauty queen!).....anyway, but i will say, i'm getting MUCH better. i'm not actually wearing the complete makeup face everyday! but still... the hair must be done!!!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  07:18:00 AM  Show Profile
I don't wear any makeup, and I've been using the baking soda and acv to wash my hair. But I do get my hair cut for $30 every 6 weeks or so. I buy two bottles of Dr. Bronner's soap per year (for showering and general hand washing), at $25/bottle. I buy facial soap approx. 4 times/year for $12. And Burt's Bees chapstick, I'll put that at $12/year. So that adds up to $290/year. I think I spend about the same amount per year on clothes. So, approximately $600/year goes to nothing more than keeping me presentable. Interesting to add it up like this!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Read an article on the cost of maintaining... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page