Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Where do my self hangups come from??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Where do my self hangups come from?? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  7:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I realized today alot of my self hangups come directly from my Mom and are not really mine at all. Work with me here. She was always complaining that her clothes weren't good enough, she had to lose weight or that she was "big boned" compared to others, that girls don't "act" like that ( I can't define that, but it is everything my mother dislikes about me) and I realized I am not living my life, but letting my mother's personal hangups hold me back. I am sure someone has some spiffy term for it- reflective behavior or something, but boy, this has got me thinking differently about myself today.

Wow!! what a "aha" that is!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  7:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey there Heather,

I beleive that we tend to acquire these "learned" behaviors and emotions (positive and negative) especially through our childhood and younger adulthood. They are usually imprinted by those we trust or love very much. Only once we mature and have our own lives can we truly come to terms with and discover who we really are, who they really are and "unlearn" all that negatively affects us piece by piece. This is when your very own character is established and wisdom starts arriving.

At almost 50...this is my take on it. :o)

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Apr 12 2008 7:58:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  09:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
well, said, stephanie.
its just a journey isnt it?

love
frannie in texas

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  10:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Great way of putting it Stephanie. I still hang on to a few of my personal hang-ups. Such as doing exactly the opposite of what I'm told I shouldn't or can't do!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  11:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I am sure this is why my mother and I get along but could never live together again. I left at 18 and 2 days and have never returned. She is always complaining about her body, lack of money, clothing, house to small yada, yada, yada. I always had a hard time with it. She goes on vacation 3-4 times a year, wears a size 14, and has a beautiful house. Besides drives a new van, has enough blinge to make you wear sun glasses on a cloudy day. I have fallen many times into her way of thinking and been depressed because of it. Then something hits me upside the head and I wake from her grasp. The next thing I know I am out in the garden hip deep in mud or in the kitchen cooking a huge meal and loving everything about it. Knowing she is horrified at the very thought of dirt or cooking.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  11:06:32 AM  Show Profile
While I love my mother and am thankful for her, I only recently realized some of the negative imprints that she left on me and I am working through them. I am certain that she got them from her mother who got them from her sisters (my mothers aunts, my grandmothers mother died giving birth to her).

Anyway, it does take time to realize these things and see your way through them. I managed to do it, although it is a struggle sometimes I try not to blame my mother, after all she is who she is and I can't change that.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  9:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie,

Oh yes, it's a journey!! Lots of paths through the mountains and valleys.

Lisa, good for you!

Always follow your own intuition and never believe that you can't do ANYTHING when you decide to do it....I believe I heard the phrases "What makes you think you can do that?" or "You don't know how to do that?" one too many times. I have fallen down a few times but always dust myself off and keep going

A strong will to keep going and to do things in your own way and in your own time is essential. Otherwise, you are only a shadow of "what or who" you are following.

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  06:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
My mother had all the faith in the world in me.....all the faith that I would fail or not do anything right. That low self image thing is what I call 'the gift that keeps on giving'. It's like being at the bottom of a hill and trying constantly to get to the top, with something pulling you back. My mother took one look at pictures of our farmhouse right after we bought it and she was appalled and thought we had thrown our money away and were continuing to throw it away if we thought we were going to save that house and live in it. So good for you, Heather, for coming to a realization early in your life that you are you and that's better than good enough! Look at what you've accomplished so far! Keep on moving.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Where do my self hangups come from?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page