Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 anyone take metformin?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic anyone take metformin? Next Topic  

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  04:49:37 AM  Show Profile
I was dx'd with polycystic ovarian disease three years ago when I was trying to get pregnant with my second child. I have a very mild form of the disesase, lack of menstrual cycles and excess hair growth being my only symptoms. Last week I had full bloodwork done to check out my thyroid, hormones, blood, etc, and my glucose came back slightly high- not diabetes- high (although I'm genetically in line...), but prediabetes or insulin resistant. The insulin resistance is a symptom or problem of PCOS also.

Anyway, doc and I decided I would try metformin to counter-effect the excess hair growth and the insulin resistance (which will, in turn, maybe cause it to be easier to lose a little weight, which can help the insulin resistance.

Does anyone else here take metformin? Side effects? Just curious.

Kim in NC

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  12:45:59 PM  Show Profile
I take it for diabetes and have had no bad side effects. Good luck, Kim. I hope it helps.

Patricia

Proud Farmgirl Sister #19
Rusty Chicks Chapter

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Today I choose faith not fear.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  12:51:17 PM  Show Profile
I take it for the same reason as you- insulin resistance (both of my parents are diabetic and my dr. is trying to ward it off in me.) I have had no side effects at all. I've never had problems with my blood sugar being elevated( always around 90 or lower) and it has not affected that. (It does not go too low.)
Hope you have the same luck I've had!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  11:48:23 PM  Show Profile
I also take it for diabetes, and once I got past the queasiness the first few weeks, I am now fine.
That was the only side effect I experienced.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  08:28:25 AM  Show Profile
I had gestational diabetes. It gave me horrible diarrhea afew times within two hours of taking it, and I have never had a problem like that before. Come to think about it, it did give me more facial hair, I thought it was just from my hormones. I read a string on here about facial hair, and spearmint tea will thin it.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic anyone take metformin? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page