Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Starting a CSA Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  11:45:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm asking this on behalf of the organization I volunteer for, not myself (although you never know). The director owns 40 acres and is putting in a large organic garden of heirloom vegetables. The produce will be used for our own historic culinary programs, and may also be sold at a local farmers market. She is considering the idea of doing something along the lines of a CSA, with shares or membership to bring in a steady income for the organization. Can anyone suggest a good resource? I know there's a lot of info out there on the web, but I was hoping someone might know of a particularly good book or site. I'm looking for info on planning, like what number of shares is a good bet to start with depending on your lot size, etc. Thanks!

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  2:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Amie,
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it's a good site that was recommended to me from memebers here. Do a search on this site and you will be able to find farms and org. in our area and maybe that will help!http://www.localharvest.org/

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  2:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey Amie! Now you know about NOFA...since you're upstate, right? www.nofa.com They are not particularly about CSA's alone but are good about the whole farming there...they specialize in organic farm support and information.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  06:33:55 AM  Show Profile
I didn't know about NOFA, but I do now. My interest has been in history, rather than farming, so I've never really done much research on commercial farming business.

Bonnie, thanks for the link. I've heard of Local Harvest. I'm not sure if they've got any info for me, but I'll check it out.

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Starting a CSA Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page