Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  03:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Along with the biodegradable toilets, there are also ones in the same market that incinerate it. According to the literature, there is no burn smell, it's all contained in the unit.

Kind of interesting

You can find examples in issues of Backwoods Living and Countryside

I could see spreading this ash on fields, but nothing liquid. That's just too gross

I have ridden a bike by farm fields that use HUGE sprinklers to spread hog lagoon waste, and let me tell you, it was hard getting a breath, let alone having to try and breath through a stretch of that stench!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  10:27:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm not that knowledgable on this subject although I have composted for years and still do but wasn't that the problem with the "Bad" tomatoes? Also, I used to live in the country but now I live in town and my dog (my BIG dog) has only a small yard to go in but I leave it there all winter and then in the Spring when I mow it all gets mixed in with the grass clippings but it also gets spread around the yard at the same time and like Erma Bombeck's book title "the grass is always greener over the septic tank" you can tell exactly where the dog went over the winter because there are vibrant, tall patches of grass there. Also, my grass clippings are in a big pile that I've had for 3 years now and I do use the bottom of that for my garden and all my beds so there is probably some dog doo-doo in there. Actually I never really thought about it although I would never dream of putting it in my regular compost or meat either....hmm....but my tomato plants ARE huge this year!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  4:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Ladies I read this a few days ago and it is not a good idea. Humans should not be using waste as a compost. Why do you think employees are advised to wash their hands after voiding. There is Hepatitis, all kinds of drugs and God knows what else. Human waste is nothing but by products that our body can't use. How could you possibly call it compost material when it is filled with fats. People die from contact of infected feces.
If you are so inclined to use it as a compost,please contact OSHA.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Joseph Jenkins wrote "The Humanure Handbook". I'd really like to try it, once we do move to the farm full time.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  07:45:58 AM  Show Profile
I have to say I side with the eeeeeeeew's. And personally, I don't think the problem with veggies from Mexico is a handwashing issue. It's e-coli from vegetables contaminated with human waste. I bury my doggy doo at the opposite end of the yard from where my garden is. I compost......but it is all organic, vegetable matter. My mother has an aerobic septic system....and it automatically waters the lawn when the third tank gets filled to a certain level. I don't have a problem with watering the yard with it....but I don't want to drink the stuff, eventhough "they" state that it is potable water after it reaches tank #3. No thanks....
Just my 2 cents worth!

Peace, Kate

Farmgirl sister #234

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

CrunchyMama
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Christina
Portland OR
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  7:37:48 PM  Show Profile
The book Humanure explains everything in great detail. I was pretty grossed out at the idea of it, but after reading the book I'm not at all worried about trying it out. This has been done in Asia for thousands of years. There is a huge difference between his composting techniques of the humanure and simply spread your waste in the garden. He doesn't even recommend using grey water in the garden due to possible fecal contamination from bathroom handwashing, so he is certainly not taking the matter lightly and feels very confident that his soil is clean. He has had lab test done on his soil that prove it is safe and has had hundreds of visitors use his composting toilet and added that waste to his compost destined for the veggie garden and has never gotten sick or gotten any parasites etc.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  10:23:48 PM  Show Profile
I still say ewwwww.

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rainier01
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Leslie
Eatonville WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  06:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Check out the Humanure Handbook, it goes into the process of composting human waste in great detail. It's been done in China for centuries, and if done properly there is no problem with using the compost on edibles. Also, how our culture disposes of human waste by putting it directly into the water system is even more gross and causes many more problems all down the line (literally) than using a simple composting system that returns the waste to the earth. In this instance I am talking about people recycling their own waste by using composting toilets and a compost bin system that processes the toilet waste, along with yard wastes, over a two year period. It is definitely all "dirt" at that point. Check out sawdust toilets -- simple, non-smelly, non-water polluting, incredibly effecient, and can be easily homemade (rather than spending hundreds or thousands on a commercially made composting toilet). The idea does seem "gross" at first glance, but if you read the Humanure Handbook you'll come to understand that that reaction is from our cultural bias, and after getting to know the real process and mechanics of it, it makes a lot of sense to let the earth process our "stuff" rather than pollute the water with it. JMHO.

"It's Good, Clean, Dirt!"
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  11:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I still believe that it logically doesn't make sense to put your own waste on what you are growing and eating. Everyone has their own beliefs and opinions, but I must say I think personally that is going a little far!

What US companies were starting to use Humanure??? I'd like to know!!

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:34:31 PM  Show Profile
My husband used a pelleted form on the hay fields last fall. It was OKed by the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture. There was an unpleasant odor in the Spring, but it soon went away.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Make It Easy: Previous Topic Composting human waste Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page