www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  8:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Alee, this is one of the very best sites I've read in a while. I can hardly wait to make my own vegetable oil lamp. Did you see the free Wildfood Handbook download? It's wonderful. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

Edited by - farmgirl blessings on Mar 29 2008 8:38:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  10:23:13 PM  Show Profile
That IS a GOOD site..very interesting. I would much rather store alot of extra vegetable oil than lamp oil!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  07:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Me Too!

I wish I had known about this before I bought my lamp oil. I love the pictures of the lamps. I am going to garage sale my lantern now and make my own!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  09:20:42 AM  Show Profile
As I type this Jim is walking down to the shop to make one. Thanks for the link to the site. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  12:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Thank you very cool site.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  07:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
Oh I wished I'd seen this before I bought olive-oil lamp wicks from Lehmans!

My son's blog (designed to keep in touch with Grandma and all her friends:
http://babycork.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  08:09:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee. I like her ideas and I printed off a lot of her stuff to try at home myself.

Speaking of composting waste... I'm going to start another thread.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  11:11:28 PM  Show Profile
I saw the site also and it so intrigues me that I read all the posts from other people there. Then I decided to make one
myself. I made one with a floating wick like one of the people from the site had seen when in Europe. So I figured
I could think of something to make a floating wick. So I used the aluminum from a soda can, some styrofoam from
a pkg of meat from the store (or a box you get at a restaurant to take home food) and some string from feed bags
that I braided together for a wick, and some old rancid corn oil I've had sitting around thinking someday I might
have a use for it. It works ok but I think I need a better wick because it doesn't stay lit for very long.....or perhaps
its the rancid corn oil I'm using - don't know. But the floating idea works very nicely in a pint sized large mouth jar.
I explained on her site how I made mine if any one is interested.
Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  9:10:04 PM  Show Profile
I've used oil lamps with floating wicks for years now. I first saw them in an Orthodox church and they have been using them for a couple thousand years because they had access to olive oil more than beeswax, they don't drip in a draft like candles and they can be left burning in the church at night unattended without danger.
They look beautiful in clear glass jars and with a half inch of water in the bottom they extinguish themselves automatically when the oil is exhausted. I make my wick floats out of the little aluminum cups from tea lights and 1/4 inch cork coasters available in the garden section of the hardware store. I cut the cork to fit the cups with a paper punch hole in the middle so the cork is a ring shape. I fit this into the aluminum cup, the cut down the sides of the cup so it's flush with the cork. I turn the whole thing over so I'm looking at the metal side, then use a round toothpick to make a hole down through the middle for the wick. I use regular cotton kitchen string that I have swished around in hot beeswax the pulled tight as it was cooling and then cut into 1 inch lengths. 8 ounces of oil and 1 wick will usually last 24 hours or more.
Linda

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  11:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda-

What a great idea! I hadn't thought about putting water in the bottom to extinguish I the light! Thanks for sharing your expertise!! I want to make some for my garden and put some citronella in them to keep bugs at bay!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2264 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2264 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:40:00 PM  Show Profile
When I was first married we moved to the mountains and I did this with the first power failure we had before I had a chance to lay in a supply of candles. Put some veg oil in a custard cup, cut a little circle of cardboard, poke a hole in the middle, and push a bit of string through it. It worked great -- made the dark go away. Adding water is an excellent suggestion.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Homemade Oil Lamp Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page