Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Looking for others that are Nannys
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Looking for others that are Nannys Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  6:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
I know that some of the Farmgirls are Nannys for a living and I need your help. I have to talk to my employer about my hours and what my pay should be should she take my on a vacation or an overnight with the children. Also what are your duties and expectations as a Nanny. I have let my employer run wild and either have to reel her in or give notice and find a new job. I presently work 5/10-14 hour days for what I asked for for an 9 hour day. I also am responsible for all homework, meals, laundry, housekeeping, menus and shopping, along with preschool for the 4.5 year old. Does your employer furnish a car for you to use during business hours? If not what do you get paid to use yours? I also am wondering if I am getting enough pay for even an 9 hour day. Also vacation? Do you get a paid vacation? I'm in a bind and do not know how to fix it since 3 young boys are involved and have no parents so to say. Help Please. If you do not want to talk on the forum please e-mail me.
Thanks,
Betty Jo

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  6:49:29 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a contract? That would be my number one suggestion, lay out what you are willing to do and know what things you are willing to compromise on with your boss when you talk. I don't have any suggestions on the vacation or overnight because I work overnight and I've not gotten paid on my vacations, they offered to either take me or pay me if I didn't go and I chose to go and didn't hardly work at all on them. I am mostly here to care for the kids. While they are at school I do laundry and plan dinner but when they are around I mainly work with them. I have a car for work. Here is a link to the current mileage reimbursement rate http://www.panache-yes.com/mileagerate.html Also check out your car insurance to make sure the kids would be covered under it should you be in an accident. I technically have two weeks paid vacation, one week of their choosing and one week of my choosing but I have never really used them because of how my job schedule works...I've got an odd situation working for airline pilots. Here is a great site for information http://www.nannynetwork.com/ sample contracts, etc. They also have a message board with other nannies who are generally pretty good about helping to answer questions for you.
I hope some of that helped you out! If you've got any other questions please feel free to ask :)

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  04:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Elizabeth. I was wrong on not having a contract but I'm not sure with this person if that would have worked any how. I am in such a mess. The worst thing is as a child I was verbally abused and when I talk to this woman she become abusive and gets into my personal space I mean right in my face. I get paid this week and I hate to do it but I might just have to leave and leave her hanging. Bad for my reference but I'm not sure I can continue as I am. Thanks for the info.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  04:42:13 AM  Show Profile
There's never a good reason for treating anyone the way this woman treats you, Betty Jo.

You should have no trouble finding another position.

But tell (or write a letter to) this woman letting her know exactly why you are leaving.

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"John Deere. We stand behind everything we sell. Except the manure spreader."
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  07:28:34 AM  Show Profile
It's too bad that your situation has turned out like that! I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do with this situation.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  07:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
BettyJo, please dont let her treat you that way. You are an awesome person to help. Especially someone like that. Hang in there

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  07:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Betty Jo. I can tell you what they make here in L.A. but that's going to be very different from Wisconsin.
My suggestion is to contact a few local domestic agencies and talk to them about your situation and ask them if they were placing you what kind of salary, perks and benefits you would garner. In speaking with them you can also put yourself out there for any new positions they have available. At the good agencies the employer always pays the fee so don't worry about that.
It appears to me as if you are doing 3 different job (at least). You should be compensated for that but my suggestion would be to do your homework first and then talk to your boss.
In my experience, Nannies get a car to use while at work or mileage reimbursement. It is also customary to have 2 weeks of paid vacation especially if you travel with them. If you do not travel with them then it is standard practice to take your vacation when they are out of town.
I worked for a family that had 2 nannies that did one month on and one month off. It's gruelling but you get compensated for it!
As a guestimate and this is on the low end you should be making no less than $150.00 a day for all that you do. Is that close to what you're making?
Give me a holler if you'd like to discuss more.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  2:59:44 PM  Show Profile
I was a nanny before I had kids. I know its hard once you are emotionally involved with the kids, but to me, it sounds like you should definitely find another job. You should never have to deal with anyone being abusive to you. That is a deal breaker right there, regardless of the other stuff. But, in answer to your questions...I didn't have a car provided, but they paid me the going rate for mileage, whatever the IRS allows for. When we went on vacation together, or did any overnights, they paid me regular hours plus overtime. They were paying me for 8:30-5:30, anything over that was overtime. For overnights, the time I was actually sleeping, 8 hours of that was half time, which I thought was fair, since I was sleeping! My pay came out to be close to $12 (for regular hours) an hour and that was 12 years ago. I had 2 weeks vacation to be taken when I needed it, as opposed to if they were going on vacation, that was my vacation. I needed to be able to visit my family and stuff, and not have it be at their whim. They paid me if they went on vacation without me too, so sometimes I got more days off that way. It was a pretty great situation, but they really appreciated me, and they knew they should treat me well considering the job I was doing for them. You deserve better, and its definitely out there to be had. There's lots of families who treat their nanny with the respect they deserve! I hope you will be able to find one soon!

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Looking for others that are Nannys Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page