LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  9:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
some information on living organic from a very "beginner" standpoint, keeping beehives, making soap, owning a bed 'n breakfast, raising alpacas, juicing and dehydrating, composting and some lessons in how to fix things and have a well-stocked tool box that I can use. I know the book and magazines have mentioned several of these, but I would like MORE!

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  1:59:48 PM  Show Profile
I agree that I would like to see info on living organic from a very "beginner" standpoint, How to do things to live lightly and make less of a footprint on the earth. I would also like to see info on MJF view on the “commercial” big organic farms. Maybe some how to’s for making soap, lotions and such. More articles on herbs and gardening would be awesome also!!!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  04:48:02 AM  Show Profile
Ditto, ditto ,ditto!! Can't get enough of herbs and gardening and what to do with all that bounty!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  8:03:52 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree Lisa about the beginner standpoint in those particular areas. There is not a lot, if anything, about these books to assist those that want to learn from the very beginning. I've had several farmers ask me how to get into honeymaking as well as other things. However, I have only been able to refer them to other places to look....would LOVE to refer them to another wonderful publication by Mary Jane and crew!

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Go to Top of Page

dandelionhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

205 Posts

Debbie
Plymouth Mass
USA
205 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:20:46 PM  Show Profile
I agree.. I would love more detailed info on beginner organic gardening and things like how to build your own raised beds, organic seed recommendations, and at-home health and beauty remedies.

and while we're at it... because painting cast off furniture is one of my first loves, WOULD ANYONE FIND a work book designed to help the novice farmgirl choose flee market finds and make them over using basic decorative painting techniques and minimal repairs useful?

We could call it Born AGAIN Creations]
Hand Painted Furniture for every room in your home and porch too!

~ Up cycle your flea market finds farmgirl style using basic decorative painting techniques. Learn to decoupage, distress, drag, rag and roll. Use vintage tiles to perty up an end table or serving tray. Try your hand at mosic, stenciling and for the fancy farmgirl, light it up with gold leaf.

I would love to CONTRIBUTE to THIS workbook! I'm brainstorming already! Oh Mary Jaaaaaane..... can you hear me?
Other workbook ideas:

Farmgirl Garden Art~ up-cycled planters for growing more organic veggies and prettying up your garden spaces - Shery J's Lust for Rust planters would be fun for this one!

Farmgirl Construction Manual [b]with ten basic projects and tool list:

1. Raised Beds
what's next sisters?

Your turn now!!!

farmgirl sister #1199

Deb~
www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com

" home is where we all craft the life of our dreams."

Edited by - dandelionhouse on Dec 03 2010 4:24:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

nicoya
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Nicoya
Surprise Arizona
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Send nicoya a Yahoo! Message
For me I'd like to see more good old fashioned frugality and household tips. Our mothers and grandmothers used to run a home on a shoestring (or less). Expensive cleaners, special organizing systems, solutions that don't really solve anything seems to be abundant in blogs everywhere. What I'd like to see is some good down to earth home management. For example, I recently downloaded "The American Frugal Housewife" for free on my smartphone Kindle app (can you see the irony in this???) LOL This book is FULL of great advise for going back to a simpler lifestyle. Short of giving up my smartphone and my internet I'm game! LOL :)

With smiles... :o)
Nicoya (Nikki)
Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:43:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm in! Let's share ideas girls....
I planted all my garden goodies in pots (mostly because I live in a FL State Park and can't plant in the ground), but raised beds would sure be nice for next planting season.
As for frugal ideas for around the house, I'm always searching. I, luckily, was raised by a very frugal mother who passed along her wisdom to me. I can do alot with a little, but new ideas are what keeps me going. Are there any specific areas in which you're trying to be more frugal, I'd be happy to share anything I already practice.

--Marie--
Farmgirl Sister #1627
www.reereebee.etsy.com

“Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else” - J.M. BARRIE, Novelist

Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  6:15:40 PM  Show Profile
OH OH OH This is what I have been in search of for years and it has been hard because no one else I know wants to do things less or from scratch. I feel silly always searching on my computer for a more simpler way to do things. I have made up my mind just to reinvent things of days gone by all on my own, but any help from my fellow farm sisters I will take. You always hear of doing things from scratch but how does a person do these things without spending alot of money. Sometimes spending to save doesnt make sense to me. I CRAVE THE SIMPLE LIFE.
Lisa get yourself a hammer paint the handle pink so everyone knows it is yours, then you need a screwdriver that has a interchangable head. Put these two things where only you know where they are. There are alot of things that you can fix with a hammer and screwdriver. And I just do things over and over my way whether right or wrong till I make it work. Compost? just start a pile of scraps in a corner of your yard throw in everything except meat and let it rot I was shocked at how easy it was and how many garbage bags I cut down on, last week for our family of four we had one small bag of garbage. I turn over the pile once a week and I have beautiful black gold to add to my garden. Think simple.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  7:10:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nicoya

For me I'd like to see more good old fashioned frugality and household tips. Our mothers and grandmothers used to run a home on a shoestring (or less). Expensive cleaners, special organizing systems, solutions that don't really solve anything seems to be abundant in blogs everywhere. What I'd like to see is some good down to earth home management. For example, I recently downloaded "The American Frugal Housewife" for free on my smartphone Kindle app (can you see the irony in this???) LOL This book is FULL of great advise for going back to a simpler lifestyle. Short of giving up my smartphone and my internet I'm game! LOL :)

With smiles... :o)
Nicoya (Nikki)

You are so right - so many modern solutions create clutter and make a mess. Simple solutions are so much better. There used to be a series of how-to pamphlets sold in Country-Living magazin. I would love to write similar how-to's. Covering gardening, home-keeping, crafting, etc...

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  1:44:44 PM  Show Profile
How about Green parenting? ie: cloth diapering, making your own baby wipes, baby food recipes, etc.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  8:04:25 PM  Show Profile
I have my own toolbox and my husband seems to like to get into it because it's easier to find the things you need rather than walking to the basement to the workroom! Besides a hammer & screwdriver, I have a staple gun, a box of various size nails, a pliers, steel wool and sandpaper, a small sander that has a pointed end, a jigsaw, & a cordless screwdriver which I LOVE! I have a lot more in it too I just can't remember off the top of my head. I keep it in the closet my vacuum and steam vac are in. I also bought a small dry/vac I use to suck up the wood chips around the woodstove along with cleaning our pet rabbit's cage.

As to making food from scratch, I don't think it's hard but then I've never done it any other way. When I was first starting out my Mother gave me a list of staples I should always have in my kitchen. Things like flour, sugar, crisco, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, rice, elbow macaroni, salt & pepper of course, some of your favorite spices, broth, and of course milk and eggs. I can make rice pudding, bread, cookies, biscuits, pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, omelets, just to name a few items with those ingredients. Take macaroni, cream of mushroom soup and a veggie and chopped meat or tuna and you have a casserole. Broth and some of the above ingredients will make you dumplings. Maybe you should look at getting older cookbooks to learn to cook from scratch. I can tell you how to stretch meals if you are interested. For instance, if you are making french toast we always add a little bit of milk or 1/2 and 1/2 and it stretches the need for one or two more eggs. It works for scrambled eggs & omelets too. Just a few ideas for you.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  08:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I would absolutely LOVE to see a book on starting a B&B! That is my life long retirement dream. I'd mentioned it to my DH years ago, and couldn't gauge his response. Recently, he was the one to tell a friend "Annette wants to do a B&B and try have it self sustaining, so I'm pretty sure those are my retirement plans." LOL. I tell you, my heart flipped cartwheels! I would love to visit Mary Janes one day, but a full book on the ins and outs would be spectacular!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  2:46:10 PM  Show Profile
1. Raised Beds
what's next sisters?
2. Beginning Canning
3. Building/Digging Out and Maintaining a Root Cellar
4. Making My Own Soaps

Your turn now!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  9:34:23 PM  Show Profile
You know what I would really like to learn a little more about? Telling the weather and seasonal changes by watching the signs in nature: through animal behavior, changes in plants, etc. I think that'd be both fascinating and beneficial.

I'd also really like to learn a lot more about home health remedies - natural medicine and herbal wisdom. I would also love to know how to recognize these plants by sight or out in the wild.

Oh! And jelly-making. My aunt used to make the best. We always say next time we're together she'll have to teach me, but when we do get precious time to visit, there's just never enough time.

Thanks for letting me add my three cents! LOL! :)

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  9:35:25 PM  Show Profile
One (two?) more: companion planting and intercropping - what the farmgirls have found that work best...

Okay... I'm done for now... ;)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  09:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hello MaryJane and Farmgirls!

I would love to see a MaryJanes farmgirl book about keeping small livestock and horses. Cherry Hill has a couple of great horse books, but MaryJane has the best books. The look and feel of her books are perfect!! I love the strong sense of femininity and the family feel of them.

That is my two cents worth! Thanks!

blackfell+farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  8:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Frugality is a lost art and I would love to see more of it in Maryjanes. I think most of us who live a simple lifestyle forget how not simple it is to learn to live this way. Things that are logical to us are not to the beginner. The Tightwad Gazette was the last real piece of writing that covered this topic and I would love to see more of it.

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  09:42:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cowgirlandboys

Frugality is a lost art and I would love to see more of it in Maryjanes. I think most of us who live a simple lifestyle forget how not simple it is to learn to live this way. Things that are logical to us are not to the beginner. The Tightwad Gazette was the last real piece of writing that covered this topic and I would love to see more of it.

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  09:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi RAchael- I agree with you that I too would like MJF to continue to share with us thoses long and sometimes forgotten frugal living tips our mothers and grandmothers from the depression era knew so well. It is daunting to try and re-order 31 years of married life not living the wasteful and non-organic lifestyle we have been used to. So, I am on a path of conversion in small steps. I recently focused on the MJF Farm Kithen Unprocessed badge to get me searching the community for organic foods and supplies. From that I see I have a TON more to learn but that was a great kickoff for me. I was thinking I wish MJF had a week in her Pay Dirt School for us Farm chicks who would like to focus on those aspects in the home more than out in the garden. I was thinking about a week that included a trip to the Mill and lessons on using a grain grinder and making bread, a visit to the school house and some lessons on how to support community togetherness and gatherings, some entreprenerial tips for stating your own business like a B&B, organic shopping and maybe some canning lessons, and so much more!!

Farmgirls what do you think?

Red Tractor Girl #3109
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  10:27:24 AM  Show Profile
LoVE this topic...I also downloaded the Frugal Housewife on my kindle months ago. It's so useful! Mary Jane definately needs a new book!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  04:52:59 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, you just described a perfect vacation to me! That would be so awesome! I'd love to go to MaryJanes Farm not only to relax, but to LEARN as well!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic A few things I'd like to see... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page