Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Crochet covered wooden hangers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Crochet covered wooden hangers Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  3:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a crochet pattern that they could share for covering old wooden hangers? I'm referring to the ones that use the fine crochet thread, not yarn. I saw an article about it in an older issue of Country Living Magazine - about them being collectible; however, no info on how to do it. The pictures of them show three different examples of crochet work. Hope someone has something stashed away in their sewing drawer that might point me in the right direction! Thanks!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

Edited by - Clare on Jul 25 2004 3:30:51 PM

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  3:36:32 PM  Show Profile
Check out p. 53 of the Plateful issue of MaryJanesFarm magazine

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  8:03:29 PM  Show Profile
My grandma used to always make them for gifts. I love the one I have from her. I should make some. They are so nice for a special dress to hang on.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2004 :  8:07:51 PM  Show Profile
"Plateful Issue" was my first thought also.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  9:59:12 PM  Show Profile
As I look through my collection of needlework magazines, I'll look for patterns for your hangers. I hope to find some. Also, I can remember my great, great Aunt Hattie crocheting those. I loved to watch.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  9:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Clare, I found two patterns for crochet-covered dress hangers submitted by Emma L. Boardman in the December 1925 Needlecraft Magazine. They call for the finer silk-finish or perle crochet cotton. Would you be interested in receiving those? (They are for the wooden hangers)
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  9:16:36 PM  Show Profile
YES!! YES!!! YES!!! Thank you Judith! Please email me and we can work out the details!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  08:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Judith, the instructions arrived yesterday. Thank you! I went to Seattle last weekend to visit my daughter and her family, and we decided to go to an estate sale that was in the neighborhood. In amongst this woman's possessions were lots of craft and sewing items. I picked up 6 spools of appropriate thread to crochet these hangers. Now I'm experimenting with it to get a feel for it, since I've not worked with it before.
I appreciate your help and the sharing of the information. If I get skilled at it, I'll post a picture to share too!

Edited by - Clare on Aug 03 2004 08:54:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  8:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Clare, I hope you like crocheting with that weight of thread. I used to find it very relaxing. Your request sent me treasure hunting through old pieces of needlework I have saved for my grandchildren. My first husband's grandmother taught me to crochet. She gave me a few samples of her work. One piece was a tatted collar worked in ecru to add to a blouse or dress. Another is a filet work yoke for a night gown also in ecru. There are also several crochet pieces done in the pineapple motif. I think that was most popular then. She crocheted everything from tablecloths and bedspreads to the doilies and edges/trims. That reminds me also, that grandad was a tailor and furrier. He made a least three sets of theatre drapes for large city theatres. He also did crazy quilting with the bits of silk, and other lining types from tailoring. And, he taught me how to sew on fur. I actually made a tiny, matching bonnet, vest and mukluk boots of rabbit pelts, for my son. People would doubletake thinking I had a large rabbit in my stroller. Ha. I would love to see a picture of your project when you are done.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Crochet covered wooden hangers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page