Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  3:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Anybody watching Oprah's episode on puppy mills this afternoon? It's good so far--glad she's educating people about this. I don't think a lot of people realise how terrible puppy mills can be!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  3:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Jodi, I haven't seen the show, but I can imagine. I've worked with rescues that have pulled them from PA. It's just heartbreaking and despicable. People really don't know that "doggie in the window" came from horrible conditions, and their parents are paying dearly :(

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  3:47:42 PM  Show Profile
Oooh goodness.... they just showed what happens when there's not room for these animals in shelters. Of course, they're euthanized. But I think maybe it's good that they're showing it on tv, since people can't push the reality out of their minds when their actually watching it. The point will be driven home better. But I've worked with shelters a lot in the past, too, Zan, and it's heartbreaking.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  5:31:14 PM  Show Profile

I sat and watch the show with Mishka (My house kid) on my lap and her back was covered with my tears. It can break a heart to see how folks turn the raising of a creature into such horror for profit. I tried to choke down my dinner after giving a bottle to Mishka and placing down for a nap but I found I could not even swallow. Instead I went outside and hugged all my four legged family members until they could not stand it....... I hope this was a wake up call for those who wear a dog like a purse - we are caretakers not owners.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  6:46:40 PM  Show Profile
Puppy mills are so heart breaking. I can"t watch things like that, it makes me cry...Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  7:44:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Zan...having worked at a shelter and been witness to these people's incessant drive for money, it's beyond disturbing. Until they start making this cruelty "cost" more (harsher penalties, more active prosecutions) it won't stop...I don't watch Oprah because I'm at work when she's on, but I hope she didn't soften it. Maybe these folks will think the next time they buy from a petstore, or a backyard breeder because they want a purebred dog.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  10:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Gah! Well, that's the next thing to lobby against, after all the govt mismanagement of money, the recession, factory farming, education...gee, what is WRONG with this country??

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  12:46:30 AM  Show Profile
I watched it to, I was crying the whole time.
I feel so bad for those animals in those conditions. Im glad they showed the REAL stuff to, because people dont have any idea how those mom and dad dogs are being treated. Hopefully people will watch it and find out what happens.
I went and hugged my 3 dogs and 5 cats too, and told them how lucky they were to not be in that situation.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  01:05:29 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, I went and hugged my three dogs and five cats too =) most of my pets are rescue animals and it makes me ill to know what people will do to a sweet innocent animal in the quest for more money...I worked in a pet store a long while back and saw how people churned these poor animals out. I am completely against puppy, kitty, and and other heartless breeding mills. What is wrong with these people????

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  1:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Oprah didn't 'soften' it. It was well put together--it did a good job of getting the point driven home. The whole thing about how our country can tolerate something like puppy mills--as LEGAL operations--came up, and they did point out how sickening it is. I doubt anyone who watched the show and has half a heart will even consider supporting puppy mills by purchasing pets from pet stores or backyard breeders.

What I cannot grasp is how the people who operate the puppy mills can't see their dogs as living beings, not an agricultural product. What kind of blindness......???

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  4:52:52 PM  Show Profile
I sort of felt like she softened it. HBO had a documentary about it that I couldn't watch. What I thought it was lacking was interviews or more up-close footage of the people behind the puppy mills. To hear someone tell why they think it is an ok thing to do is very disgusting. I really hope that lots of average americans will go to a shelter and adopt a dog. Now if only she could tell the world the truth about bully breeds :)

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  5:39:44 PM  Show Profile
I suppose it could be considered a bit 'softer' than some presentations on the issue, but it suited the intended audience, and probably kept them from turning of the tv. It was a sufficient amount of truth to reach home, I think. I've watched several videos put together by PETA on various animal issues, and compared to those, it was very mild, but they didn't tone down the severity of the matter in their discussion. It would have been interesting if they'd done some interviews, but I wonder if people would have gone for that...

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  6:52:02 PM  Show Profile
I wish she would also have shown mills in another state, maybe in the west, or possibly shown her audience how to help a little more, or more actively. But that's just my opinion, being a total dog person. I like my dog more than I like most people.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  7:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Did anyone know that Missouri is puppy mill capital of america? Most puppy mills are operated there because of their laissez fare animal control laws.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  10:28:53 AM  Show Profile
I was a basket case after watching that show. Paul called on his way home from work and I just sat there and cried on the phone..... That one black lab with the soft eyes, how can people do these things to dogs and cats I just do not know. jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Puppy mills Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page