Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 First kidding- -what to watch for?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic First kidding- -what to watch for? Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  11:58:47 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 Nubians that are going to be kidding soon. I don't know exactly the date, but judging by the size of them, it will be soon! Since it will be their (and MY!) first experience with having kids, are there any signs I should be watching for? Is there a dead give away when labor is approaching? I would love any tips or suggestions.

I am guessing one of them is having one or two, and the other must be having two or three. In the last two weeks, they have gotten VERY large, and their udders have filled out. I'm pretty excited!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  1:37:49 PM  Show Profile
Watch their vulva for a clear discharge...a clear drip almost always means "get the stuff ready...it is happening now!!" Also watch for her leaning her head against something and looking like she is "concentrating". It happens fast and sometimes you can miss it, but I have been there for most of my goats and both of Mona's deliveries. I ALWAYS have missed my sheep's deliveries..much sneakier I guess.
Have fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  5:37:01 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about your girls but mine sit in the corner and start knitting tiny kid booties Just kidding.

I have found that each girl (goat) is just as different as people are. It also depends if this is there first time. Jenny is right on what to look for, I also look for changes in eating patterns. I have a couple who also want to be glued to your hip while I have another who will take a barn door down if you are too close. Once you have spent a couple of seasons with them you will know the moment they are starting. I would keep a little notebook to write down the signs you see because it always comes in handy for next year. Make sure you have all your supplies ready and above all BREATH - animals get really scared if you get scared.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  9:40:02 PM  Show Profile
I have been in the same place since February. I have sheep. 6 shetland ewes. My first time with lambing. According to my calculation they should have all lambed by mid March. Well 4 have so far....and I have missed every one! I've heard all kinds of things to look for, read every book I could find on the subject of sheep and goats. My friend who has goats seems to always know and be ready. It must be those durn sheep girls...they like their privacy, I guess. It's all worth it. The lambs are darling.

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  9:59:41 PM  Show Profile
It is always such a thrill to go out and see new "surprize" babies all dry and running around in the morning when you least expect it. Libbie called this morning to tell me that little Bonnie, one of the lambs she got from me delivered TRIPLETS this morning. I was so excited. I have had Bonnie's Grandma Juliet since she was a lamb in 2000 and her mom Trixie was born here 4 years ago. They have both only had twins so triplets must run in the ram's family. How exciting!!
I don't get ANY sleep at all when I know one of my critters is close to delivery...or if I think she is. I sleep badly enough anyway..but I am especially bad then...I go out and check them no less than once an hour. My kitchen timer gets a workout and my couch gets a full body imprint from me sleeping on it..haha. Fun to be there for the action if you can though. I have only had to help a ewe deliver once. It was a first time ewe and she had been trying to give birth to a giant size ram lamb for hours and stopped trying even. I felt so bad for her. The lamb was dead and she was exhausted.. I had to help pull it out and she bounced back and was okay. I am just glad I wasn't gone all day. I didn't know she was pregnant since she was when I got her..yikes. Besides that I have never had a ewe that needed help at all. And goats seem to like the company just a little more. At least my Saanens did for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  11:00:17 PM  Show Profile
I like idea to keep a little notebook of my observations. I have taken some pictures along the way (unflattering and graphic as they are!) but I should take the time to write down anything I notice, too.

Also, Jenny, what kind of jars have you used to store your milk? I have found some gallon sized canning jars and I *think* that will do the trick, unless you know of something better?

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  12:29:34 AM  Show Profile
I use both 1/2 gallon and gallon glass jars..I like them much better than plastic. I bought new 1/2 gallon canning jars and got the plastic lids for them..one piece. And the gallon jars have all been given to me..jars that people had used for storing grains mostly..some were big mayo jars. But I have had bad luck with pickle jars. NEVER can get the smell out of the lid AND the jar. You wouldn't think that glass would hold onto that smell..but let me tell you it does!! I had someone bring me a jar she had stored dried onions in one time too and it was impossible too. I tried everything..charcoal, bleach, multiple trips through the dishwasher, soaking with nearly everything once or twice..nothing got that last bit of smell out.
I have used new plastic jars in a pinch..but I didn't like them and quickly replaced them.
I cool my milk quickly in the jars..and if the milk is to go to someone else they bring back that jar to get another full one. When I use the milk for our family I bring the gallon jar in and put the milk for the fridge into quart or 1/2 gallon (I have alot more quarts) milk bottles with plastic snap on caps. Then I can wash the big jars to use the next day. With the cow's milk I skim off the cream before putting it into the bottles, and store that in quart canning jars to make butter or use as cream or in cheese..goats milk was just left whole since I didn't have a separator.
Jenny in Utah

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Apr 05 2008 12:32:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic First kidding- -what to watch for? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page