Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 what in 'nature' scares you most?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic what in 'nature' scares you most? Next Topic
Page: of 2

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  11:34:33 AM  Show Profile
gosh .. fire, floods, famine .. hurricanes .. tornadoes .. freezing .. burning .. big-time epidimec DISEASE .. (yep! that would at the TOP of MY list!) wild animals .. etc. etc.

(i must have drowned in a former life .. cuz' i am afraid of deep water too!)

AND .. of course, i don't want to come hurtling to earth from the clouds .. but then that one isn't 'nature'!

ahhhhhhh .. what a peaceful topic this is! but still, interesting! helps us identify our 'fears in life'. xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  11:38:17 AM  Show Profile
Tornado! There is no warning until one arrives!

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  11:44:00 AM  Show Profile
Well, it used to be drought and then we bought our irrigation system.

Nature is pretty tame here - we're a bit too far inland for hurricanes to strike.

As far as animals go... mice and rats! ::shudder::

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"John Deere. We stand behind everything we sell. Except the manure spreader."
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  11:45:48 AM  Show Profile
I am with Tricia, tornadoes are scary definitely. And freezing rain/ice storms. I would rather drive through a foot of snow, than a thin glaze of ice.

I am also terrified of fires.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  11:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Earthquakes would be mine, living smack dab on the San Andreas fault line. And definitely fire as we live in a heavily forested area with a small highway that runs through it...ignoramus's are always throwing cig butts out their windows and lightening, although rare, isn't unheard of.
Snow could probably rank in there too as islanders have no clue how to deal with it. There is a humorous side to watching the drivers, but also a very scary one.
Irrational fears would be snakes...any kind, any size! Gives me the willies!!

Di

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Deep water and sharks (and yes, I joined the Navy) and snakes. I just don't like extreme weather at all, no matter in what form. I know they say to be prepared, but I just don't think you can completely be prepared.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:09:15 PM  Show Profile
I live in California....so you guessed it, EARTHQUAKES! Yicks! I have lived here all my life and gone through lots of big ones! It's unbelievable to see the walls move back & forth and the doors almost coming off the doorjambs! And the sounds it makes...Scary! Sometimes you can hear it coming seconds before.

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:21:41 PM  Show Profile
I really don't like snakes, and I have fears about apex predators. I have seen three mountain lions, three bears. I always see lots of wildlife, so I don't go hunting with anyone. I am afraid it might mess up my luck. When I was alittle girl, we lived in Florida for about a year. For a while, the beach was our front yard, and I would go swimming by myself a lot. A few times there was a boat ringing a bell and men waving their arms. I waved back. then I found out that those people are the shark patrol.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:32:15 PM  Show Profile
I have a phobia about bears, the way some people do about bees or snakes. I think it comes from watching those "Wilderness Family" movies on the Disney Channel when I was a kid. The only time those people weren't being attacked by bears was during the opening and closing credits.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:48:25 PM  Show Profile
water

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:53:20 PM  Show Profile
much else doesn't really scare me except for cliffs with sheer drop off sides.animals don't scare me, it's the weird animals called humans that can be more frightening.hurricanes..we have been through so many here in what is known as hurricane alley..that you pretty much know how to get out and away from them.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:55:58 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't want to experience a tornado, or wild fires (or any fire)...feeling trapped without a quick escape. I wouldn't like earthquakes, also...although in New Jersey, I really don't have to worry about that. Funny thing though, some areas in NJ have had maybe up to 3 or 4 in the Richter Scale in little tremors. We have the Ramapo fault (?). Going for a hike or walk in the wilderness, and meeting up with a bear would freak me out. When you see a cute little cub, watch out...mama's nearby! Snakes don't freak me out too much, unless it was a poisonous one.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Ha...ha! Just reading one of Tina's comments....people can be the most frightening creatures of all!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  1:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lets see- I would be terrified in a hurricane or a tornado, yet don't want to be in one of them. And I certainly don't want to be in an earthquake.

I don't mind fires so much though they are dangerous. I was even planning on being a wildland firefighter one summer.

I really would hate to find myself between a Mama grizzly bear and her cubs. Ugh. Give me a hungry wolf pack over that any day!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  2:14:40 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to say Snakes. I hate them. We used to have them in our house when I was a little girl, until the neighborhood built up around our house more. Then, I suppose they bothered someone else's house.

I give snakes a very wide berth.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  2:56:43 PM  Show Profile
This may sound selfish,,,but it truly is my biggest fear.
Watching my kids being hurt or worse and not being able to hold them or make it better....I have had dreams and am reaching but can't quite get there....and I shutter just thinking about it.
As far a nature,,,it would be the human mind I guess.

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/

Edited by - EmmJay on Apr 03 2008 2:57:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Emm jAY ... I THINK all us momma's would agree with you .. at the top of the list .. is worry over 'natural' and 'un-natural' disasters that might befall our chilluns and grandes! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  05:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of children...

I'm not sure I even want to post this, because I know so many of you are mothers and even natural childbirth advocates, but I have an absolute horror of pregnancy and childbirth. I don't think I will ever be able to have kids (even if I could afford to) because the thought of having my body taken over by something else is so repulsive to me. I don't even like being around pregnant women or newborn babies. Weird, huh?
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  06:10:33 AM  Show Profile
Amie, I think that is very brave for you to post your feelings. I, myself, have no children and am not married. For me, I just never really had the desire for having children, and like my independence. Don't get me wrong...I love other peoples' kids and have nieces, nephews, even grand nieces and nephews. I don't think I'm the mothering type. I know the feeling of putting it out there on the forum where most of the members are very family oriented. Not everyone is meant to be a parent....and that's ok. I applaud all the mothers that handle their families and other aspects of their life...and God Bless them. There are others that just march to a different drummer. I know it's a cliche, but to each their own...it's what makes the world go 'round. I'm sure other people reading this will be put off by this, but don't feel weird.

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  06:32:29 AM  Show Profile
Love to snorkle- but being eaten alive by a shark!!!!!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  06:40:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh and Amie!! Please don't feel bad-everyone is loved and accepted and valued and respected here!!! Farmgirls are ALL different and that is what makes us special;! i think it is awesome that you know yourself that well-please always feel free to share(Close minded people of ANY kind are nature's scariest thing!!LOL)!!!! Many hugs!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  1:04:37 PM  Show Profile
We live in the woods and sometimes we have huge, scary windstorms with winds up to 70 mph, and those trees start making this weird roaring noise and then there's the big deep "thumps" you start hearing and you know there's trees coming down close by...so far none on the house thank goodness! But I used to live in Kansas...and it was the tornadoes back then! I guess its a wind thing with me!

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  2:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Fire is a big fear of mine, also the thought of a tornado. That must be totally terrifying. Bears are not something I want to meet up with. But, the most awful to me is rats. They just freak me out.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  2:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Water. I love the ocean but if I look at it too long, I feel a panic attack coming on.I am weird like that though.Just about everything scares me. Ask anyone who knows me.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  2:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Amie, not weird. I had my first baby last summer, at 32. Before that, I was petrified of newborns. I never wanted to hold kids. WHen I was pregnant I had horrible dreams about childbirth, and rightfully so. I couldn't dilate, and had to have a c-section. It took 15 minutes of stabbing my spine to get the spinal block needle in the right place, then I could feel pain when my Dr. cut me, so they had to put me under, and I woke up during surgery asking lots of questions about the operation. My husband said the anesthesiologist was scrambling around and I made everyone nervous. Be afraid, be very afraid. Sorry, I couldn't resist! In the end it was worth it though.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  7:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Yikes, Patricia! That sounds horrible. Actually, I would expect to have a very normal and even easy delivery. My mom had 8 kids and all of her pregnancies went very smoothly. I started attending the births of my younger siblings when I was 8. I didn't see anything scary or upsetting, but in retrospect maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

I would kind of like to have a child, just not HAVE a child. So I'm not really one of the positively child free (yet). I'm still on the fence about it. But if it ever does become a possibility, and I decide that I really do want one after all, I'll have this fear to overcome.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic what in 'nature' scares you most? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page