tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  05:45:54 AM  Show Profile
I need your infinite wisdom here. This year the flies in my area have gone nuts. My poor dogs ears are covered with them and now they have open sores!!! I have started letting them in during the day, but they really only like to stay in for a short time (unless it's bedtime) I've tried several products, even a homemade water/vingar/essential oil mix, but nothing seems to help. My poor puppies need you . . . .
Tiffany

Farmgirl #164
www.itsatippinthing.blogspot.com

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  05:51:33 AM  Show Profile
Country Vet products. We used them at the shelter (which was located near the landfill)and flies were immense. You can buy one for the dogs, a spray for the air and a metered spray as well, that squirts a little amount out every 3 minutes or so....

Because it was a shelter, we wanted to make sure you could use these products around animals...you can and more. They're even recommended for restaurant and food supply use! I buy mine from KV Vet Supply, here is the link to all the Country Vet repellant products.

http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/search_results.asp?mscssid=08D6B52CCB00438D8E91ED72D4FE81F5&Gift=false&GiftID=

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  06:28:46 AM  Show Profile
We have bad flies (it comes and goes in seasons) because we live directly behind a dairy. Many of us have had good success with hanging bags of water around the more 'popluated' fly areas (around the animal pens, the porch, etc.). I just used bread bags (and a few gallon Ziplock-type ones when I ran out of the others) and filled them half way, tied them off and hung them in those areas that needed it. Something about the way the light reflects off the water, appears that there is 'something' moving and the flies don't settle near it.

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  06:42:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Jonni for the link, I checked it out and ordered the farm mosquito and fly spray for the dogs - I don't think the auto stuff will work in my yard it's an open area and I don't think it will "stay put."

Molly, I use the bags of water to keep the flies out of my house, but I'm not sure how to hang them around the yard. In the trees? Maybe I should just hang bags from their collars

Farmgirl #164
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  06:45:39 AM  Show Profile
Great! I know you will appreciate it...we sure did! We also used their metered "odor" products...landfill smell and dog smells....they took care of it!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  06:50:51 AM  Show Profile
you know, that was a question for another topic - You are a mind reader. My dogs love LOVE LLOOOVVVEEE the lake, but they SMELL so bad after a few days I have to scrub them 2-3 times a week. I've tried products, but everything ends up smelling like flowery dirty dogs. Thanks again

Farmgirl #164
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile
I hang the fly bags from the fences. One of our neighbors made a bunch of those bird feeder style hangers and has 3 bags from each one, just around the yard. :)

Good luck. My mom always used to say, 'In His wisdom, God made the fly. But then, forgot to tell us why.'

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  12:38:49 PM  Show Profile
About the ears. On our big dogs who spent more time outside then the littles, I bought the roll on fly spray that is for horse for around the eyes. It was much easier to apply around the face then a spray, and then I also did not have to touch it to get it on the sensitve areas. We used a citronella based one it also said for dog use as well on the container. It worked great
Amy

My Blog
http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/
Amore Schnauzers
http://amoreschnauzers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  2:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Where are the flies breeding? Is it on your property? Do you have a manure heap or something else that is attracting them? You can order a tiny bug called "Fly Predator" that you hatch right where the flies are hatching out. They eat the fly eggs and so take care of the problem gradually over a few weeks. Your flies won't disappear completely but they will be greatly reduced.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  2:18:30 PM  Show Profile
The horse roll on sounds perfect. Someone told me to slather vasoline all over their ears - that didn't work! I'll have to order some.

I have no idea where they are coming from. I live in a neighborhood. Lots of people and lots of pets, but no manure or dumps. There is a lake nearby, but I don't think it could be the problem. We even keep the dogs area scooped everyday, so I have no idea. (maybe the neighbors)

Farmgirl #164
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  11:24:08 AM  Show Profile
I dont know if your dogs are in a small or large area where this would work, but I know some of the restuarants here in TX use this for their outside patios. They hang large baggies 3/4 filled with water with a penny in the bottom. Not sure how or why it works, but people swear by them. At home we have used the bags with the fly bait... smells terrible (like rotten garbage, but those work too. And of course, those sticky rolls you hang. Good luck,. My inlaws had that problem with their husky mix over the summers. used to have raw ears too. For some reason the flies like the dogs with the stand-up ears.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  03:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Start feeding your dogs brewer's yeast and garlic tabs

There's a natural fly preaditor you can purchase

google fly preadator and see if you can start getting rid of the problem!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Help with Flies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page